- LANL Research Library
LANL Research Library Location Los Alamos, New Mexico Coordinates Collection Size 150,000 Website http://library.lanl.gov/
The LANL Research Library is a research library at Los Alamos National Laboratory. It contains a substantial collections of books, journals, databases, patents along with technical reports. Additionally it offers literature searching, training and outreach services. The library has a research and development (R&D) component, which works in areas such as open archives, recommendation systems (including visualization), emergency response information systems, and discovery systems. Its stated mission is to deliver effective, and responsive knowledge services, thereby connecting people with information and technology and resources. Its stated purpose (vision) is essential knowledge services for national security sciences.[note 1]
The library houses some 150,000 volumes and 1.5 million unclassified reports on a wide variety of technical subjects pertaining to science, mathematics and engineering.
There is also an associated online collection of physical science journals, and over 30 terabytes of data is stored locally. There is an abstract server with abstracts for papers submitted to peer reviewed journals prior to their acceptance and publication.
The LANL Research library has, in its collections, 10,000 journals with 150,000 bound journal volumes, and an additional 8,500 electronic journals. Its book collection contains 100,000 print titles, 150,000 print volumes, and an additional 30,000 electronic book titles. The library lists 35 subscription abstracting and index databases, along with an additional 100 open access databases. Its locally loaded database contains more than 93 million records. 1,327 LANL patents are also listed, in PDF format.
Subject coverage of the electronic journals collection encompasses Agriculture, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Bioinformatics, Genetics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Defense/Military, Earth Sciences, Engineering, Environment, Government and Legal, Health and Safety, Humanities, Information and Library Science, International Affairs, Materials Science, Mathematics, Medicine, Nanotechnology, Physics, and Social Sciences.
Open to the public
General public access is available. General access is permitted for the library's book and journal collections, the electronic databases and the electronic books and journal articles that are available to Lab. However, other restrictions apply. [note 2]
- ^ a b c d e f "About the library > Facts and figures". http://library.lanl.gov/libinfo/facts.htm. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- ^ "About the LANL Research Library". Public domain (see notes section). Los Alamos National Security (National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)). September 2010. http://library.lanl.gov/libinfo/. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- ^ "Mission and Vision". Public domain (see notes section). Los Alamos National Security (National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)). September 2010. http://library.lanl.gov/libinfo/mission.htm. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- ^ a b c "LANL ArXiV Abstract Server". http://xxx.lanl.gov/. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- ^ "About the library > Public use". http://library.lanl.gov/libinfo/public.htm. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- ^ © Copyright 2010 Los Alamos National Security, LLC All rights reserved. Copyright Notice. Unless otherwise indicated, this information has been authored by an employee or employees of the Los Alamos National Security, LLC (LANS), operator of the Los Alamos National Laboratory under Contract No. DE-AC52-06NA25396 with the U.S. Department of Energy. The U.S. Government has rights to use, reproduce, and distribute this information. The public may copy and use this information without charge, provided that this Notice and any statement of authorship are reproduced on all copies
- ^ The Research Library is open to the general public 9 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, visitors will not have access to technical reports in print or microfiche. In addition, it remains open to laboratory badge holders 24/7. A self check out system is used to allow patrons to check out items even when the library is not staffed. It is located in the Oppenheimer Study Center in TA-3 (Technical Area 3) across from the Otowi building.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Digital Library Federation — The Digital Library Federation (DLF) is an international consortium of libraries and related agencies that are pioneering the use of electronic information technologies to extend collections and services. Since its formation in 1995, DLF has made … Wikipedia
List of digital library projects — This is a list of projects related to digital libraries.General collections* AccessMyLibrary * AJOL African Journals OnLine free multidisciplinary database of peer reviewed, African published academic journals. * Arts and Humanities Data Service… … Wikipedia
Manhattan Project — This article is about the atomic bomb project. For other uses, see Manhattan Project (disambiguation). Manhattan District The Manhattan Project created the first nuclear bombs. The Trinity test … Wikipedia
Los Alamos National Laboratory — Infobox generic color = #000000 name = Los Alamos National Laboratory sub0 = | img1 = Los Alamos National Laboratory logo.png width1 = 220px cap1 = | img2 = Los Alamos aerial view.jpeg width2 = 220px cap2 = | hdr1 = Information: lbl1 =… … Wikipedia
Plutonium — (pronEng|pluːˈtoʊniəm, symbol Pu, atomic number 94) is a rare radioactive, metallic chemical element. The most significant isotope of plutonium is 239Pu, with a half life of 24,100 years; this isotope is fissile and is used in most modern nuclear … Wikipedia
Clementine (nuclear reactor) — Clementine was the code name for the world s first fast neutron nuclear reactor. It was an experimental scale reactor. The maximum output was 25 kW and was fueled by plutonium and cooled by liquid mercury. Clementine was located at Los… … Wikipedia
ArXiv — Infobox Website name = arXiv caption = url = http://arXiv.org/ alexa = commercial = No type = Science language = English registration = owner = author = Paul Ginsparg launch date = 1991 current status = Online revenue = slogan =The arXiv… … Wikipedia
Плутоний — 94 Нептуний ← Плутоний → Америций Sm ↑ Pu … Википедия
Omega West Reactor (OWR) — The Omega West Reactor (OWR) was an experimental nuclear reactor located at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos NM. OMR was completed in 1956 and primarily used for scientific scale nuclear research until it was fully decommissioned in… … Wikipedia
arXiv — URL arXiv.org Commercial? No Type of site Science Available language(s) English Owner Cornell University Library … Wikipedia