- Room Service (Roxette album)
Room Service Studio album by Roxette Released 3 April 2001 Recorded
January 2000–January 2001,
Genre Pop Length 43:40 Label EMI Producer Clarence Öfwerman,
Per Gessle &
Roxette chronology Have a Nice Day
The Ballad Hits
Singles from Room Service
Room Service is an album released by Swedish pop duo Roxette, on 3 April 2001. The album topped the Swedish charts and reached the upper regions of the charts in many European countries, peaking at #3 in Germany, but was largely ignored in the United Kingdom, peaking only at #120 there. The album wasn't released in the United States
The album was a shorter effort than their previous release Have a Nice Day. "The Centre of the Heart" was originally recorded during the Have a Nice Day sessions but was left off the album.
The album produced three singles; "The Centre of the Heart", "Real Sugar" and "Milk & Toast & Honey". "The Centre of the Heart" peaked at #1 in Sweden and was a minor hit in various European countries. The second single, "Real Sugar", was not a commercial success, and the third and final single, "Milk & Toast & Honey", was the only single from Room Service to be released in the U.K. but was also ultimately unsuccessful.
Professional reviews Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Aftonbladet  Expressen  Göteborgs-Posten  The Guardian  MTV Asia  Yahoo! Music 
Room Service received a mixed response from critics. "Probably the best Roxette album since Joyride", wrote Leslie Mathew of Allmusic. Room Service is an exciting, immediate, high-gloss pop gem that contains very little filler indeed.". Chili Paddy from MTV Asia also praised the album, "There are many potential hit singles here such as the glorious chirpy sing-along 'Real Sugar'". Carol Sullivan from UK newspaper The Guardian disliked the album, and wrote, "Fredriksson's vocals are compelling yet curiously unengaged as she tries to negotiate Per Gessle's lyrics."
Per Bjurman, from Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, bluntly put "It (the album) is not very good.", and thought the album was not original, "Many songs sound like covers of old Roxette material. Perhaps inevitable when you return to 'roots', but a little more imagination may be required." He did praise the three singles, "Real Sugar", "The Centre of the Heart" and "Milk and Toast and Honey", which he called "Roxette's strongest ballad since 'It Must Have Been Love' and 'Listen to Your Heart'", but ended the review with "Roxette is not finished. But soon, I suspect."
The verse from "Jefferson": "Jefferson was always out of luck/I remember when we both grew up/ Jefferson got hit by a westbound truck/I guess that didn't make him look like a million bucks.", also brought a mixed response. Simon P. Ward from Yahoo! Music called the verse a "lyrical gem", while Carol Sullivan from The Guardian put "one of the worst first verses in history." Ward additionally noted that "You Make My Head Go Pop", "...has everything and the kitchen sink thrown into it - keyboards, techno beats, the guitar riff from the Stones' 'Satisfaction' and strings."
The visual theme to the album sleeve and promo shots, photographed by Jonas Åkerlund, was shot at the Californian hotel The Madonna Inn. The video for "The Centre of the Heart", directed by Åkerlund, was shot at the hotel. The video became the most expensive Roxette video ever produced, surpassing long-time title holder "Spending My Time" from their 1991 Joyride album.
The Room Service World Tour 2001 was Roxette's first tour in over six years, and saw the duo perform live in many parts of Europe except the UK. Concerts planned in South Africa were cancelled after the September 11 terrorist attacks. On reviewing one of their concerts, Bjurman from Aftonbladet was critical of the duo's chosen playlist and suggested that the duo had become too stuck in their past glories. Johan Lindqvist from Göteborgs-Posten was more positive, scoring their Munich concert four stars.
No. Title Length 1. "Real Sugar" 3:17 2. "The Centre of the Heart" 3:23 3. "Milk and Toast and Honey" 4:04 4. "Jefferson" 3:51 5. "Little Girl" 3:37 6. "Looking for Jane" 3:20 7. "Bringing Me Down to My Knees" 3:49 8. "Make My Head Go Pop" 3:23 9. "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" 3:13 10. "Fool" 3:53 11. "It Takes You No Time to Get Here" 3:36 12. "My World, My Love, My Life" 4:03 13. "Entering Your Heart" (Extended Version, Bonus track - Japan only) 4:34Total length: 48:04
- "The Centre of the Heart"
- "The Centre of the Heart"
- "Entering Your Heart (Edit Version)"
- "Entering Your Heart (Extended Version)"
- "Real Sugar"
- "Real Sugar"
- "It Will Take a Long Long Time" (Modern Rock Version)
- "Real Sugar" (Shooting Star Treatment)
- "The Centre of the Heart" (Enhanced Video)
- "Milk and Toast and Honey"
- "Milk and Toast and Honey"
- "Milk and Toast and Honey" (Active Dance Remix)
- "Milk and Toast and Honey" (Shooting Star Treatment)
- "Milk and Toast and Honey" (T&A Demo, August 2 and 3rd 1999)
- "Real Sugar" (Enhanced Video)
- The words & music to all tracks by Per Gessle. Except "Little Girl"; words & music by Marie Fredriksson.
- Produced by Clarence Öfwerman, Gessle & Fredriksson.
- Tracks 1, 9 & 11, published by Jimmy Fun Music.
- Track 5 published by Shock the Music.
- All other tracks published by HipHappy.
- Programming by Clarence Öfwerman & Shooting Star with MP Persson & Gessle.
- Keyboards: Öfwerman, Persson & Gessle.
- Electric & acoustic guitars: Gessle, Christoffer Lundquist, Jonas Isacsson, Persson, David Birde & Mattias Thorell.
- Bass guitar: Lundquist.
- 12 string acoustic guitar: Gessle & Lundquist.
- Live drums: Christer Jansson.
Country Position Certification Austria 4 --- Finland 10 Gold Germany 3 Gold Hungary 18 --- Netherlands 80 --- Norway 7 --- Poland 3 --- Sweden 1 Platinum Switzerland 2 Gold UK 120 ---
- ^ a b "Allmusic's review of Room Service". Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r527262. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ a b "Aftonbladet's review of Room Service". Aftonbladet. http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article16045.ab. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ "Expressen's review of Room Service". expressen. Archived from the original on 2001-04-13. http://web.archive.org/web/20010413125655/http://www.expressen.se/article.asp?id=62179. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- ^ "Göteborgs-Posten's review of Room Service". Göteborgs-Posten. Archived from the original on 2001-11-21. http://web.archive.org/web/20011121143229/http://www2.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=172&a=24191. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- ^ a b c Aizlewood, John (2001-04-06). "The Guardian's review of Room Service". London: The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/apr/06/shopping. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ a b "MTV Asia's review of Room Service". MTV Asia. Archived from the original on 2008-02-03. http://web.archive.org/web/20080203233607/www.mtvasia.com/Review/CD/C2001050301.html. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- ^ a b c "Yahoo! Music's review of Room Service". 2001-04-09. Archived from the original on 2011-06-13. http://web.archive.org/web/20110613162217/http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/l_reviews_a/19252.html. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ Room Service CD liner notes.
- ^ "Roxette bio at D&D management". http://www.dndmanagement.com/index.php/biographyroxetteeng.
- ^ "Roxette's official website-from archive". Roxette's official website. Archived from the original on November 22, 2001. http://web.archive.org/web/20011122222315/http://www.roxette.se/news.php?news_id=125.
- ^ "Aftonbladet's review of Roxette concert". Aftonbladet. http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/live/article45090.ab. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ "Göteborgs-Posten's review of Munich concert" (in Swedish). Göteborgs-Posten. Archived from the original on 2001-10-23. http://web.archive.org/web/20011023102032/http://www2.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=286&a=37107.
- ^ "Finland Certifications". IFPI Finland. http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/artistit/roxette.
- ^ "German certifications – Roxette – Room+Service" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/?action=suche&strTitel=Room%2BService&strInterpret=Roxette&strTtArt=alle&strAwards=checked.
- ^ "Swedish Certifications 2001". IFPI Sweden. http://www.ifpi.se/wp/wp-content/uploads/ar-20013.pdf.
- ^ "Swiss Certifications 2001". Swiss IFPI. http://www.swisscharts.com/awards.asp?year=2001.
Roxette Studio albums Compilations Remix albums Videography Related articles
- "The Centre of the Heart"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Room Service (Roxette) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Room Service. Room Service est un album du groupe suédois Roxette, de 2001 de Roxette. Liste des titres Real Sugar The Centre of the Heart Milk and Toast and Honey Jefferson Little Girl Looking for Jane Bringing… … Wikipédia en Français
Room service — is an accommodation available at many hotels where workers at the hotel bring food and other items to hotel rooms, by request of the guest and usually for extra charge.Room service may also refer to:* Room Service (Oak Ridge Boys album) (1978),… … Wikipedia
Room service — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Théâtre Room Service, pièce de 1937 de Allen Boretz et John Murray Cinéma Room Service (Panique à l hôtel, en VF), film de 1938 réalisé par William A.… … Wikipédia en Français
Charm School (Roxette album) — Charm School Studio album by Roxette Released 11 February 2011 … Wikipedia
Have a Nice Day (Roxette album) — Infobox Album Name = Have a Nice Day Type = Album Artist = Roxette Released = March 9, 1999 Recorded = El Cortijo Studios, Marbella, Polar Studios, Cosmos Studios and Atlantis Studios, Stockholm, January October 1998 Genre = Pop Length = 55:31… … Wikipedia
Roxette — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Roxette Información personal Origen … Wikipedia Español
Roxette — Основная информация … Википедия
Roxette — en concert le 9 juillet 2011 … Wikipédia en Français
Roxette — Infobox musical artist | Name = Roxette Img capt = Img size = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Halmstad, Sweden Genre = Pop Years active = 1986 – present Label = EMI Music and Edel Music Associated acts = URL = [http://www.roxette.se… … Wikipedia
The Rox Box/Roxette 86-06 — Infobox Album | Name = The Rox Box / Roxette 86 06 Type = Box set Artist = Roxette Released = October 18, 2006 Recorded = 1986 2006 Genre = Pop Length = Label = Producer = Reviews = Last album = A Collection of Roxette Hits Their 20 Greatest… … Wikipedia