- Hachette Book Group USA
Hachette Book Group Type Subsidiary Industry Publishing Founded 2006 Headquarters New York City, New York,
Parent Hachette Livre Divisions Little, Brown and Company
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Hachette Digital Media
Subsidiaries Grand Central Publishing Website HachetteBookGroup.com
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a publishing company owned by Hachette Livre, the largest publishing company in France, and the second largest publisher in the world. Hachette Livre is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lagardère Group. HBG was formed when Hachette Livre purchased the Time Warner Book Group from Time Warner on March 31, 2006. Its headquarters are in 237 Park Avenue, Midtown Manhattan, New York City.
The earliest publisher to eventually become part of the Hachette Book Group was Little, Brown and Company, founded in 1837, acquired by Time Inc. in 1968.
Warner Communications had acquired the Paperback Library in 1970 to form Warner Books. In 1982, CBS Publications sold off Popular Library to Warner. In April 1985, Warner Books relaunched Popular Library starting out with five other books plus the reprint of Question of Upbringing continuing each month with the follow volumes from A Dance to the Music of Time series by Anthony Powell. Additional, two books would be issued per month from Popular's new imprint, Questar, for science fiction. Time merged with Warner Communications to form Time Warner in 1989. Publisher Macdonald & Co. was bought in 1992 to become part of the Time Warner Book Group UK, and in 1996 the various branches merged to become Time Warner Trade Publishing, later renamed to Time Warner Book Group. In 2003, Time Warner attempted to sell the Book Group but failed to get high enough bids. In March 2006, Time Warner completed the sale of Book Group to Lagardère to be place under its Hachette Livre book publishing arm. Its Warner Books subsidiary renamed itself Grand Central Publishing in March 2006. Grand Central also launched a more literary imprint, Twelve, under former Random House editor in chief Jonathan Karp. On February 5, 2010, Hachette announced that it would adopt an agency pricing model for its ebooks.
Hachette has acquired a number of publishing brands aimed at different markets, and these brands themselves contain sub-imprints which are used to publish to an even more targeted audience. Imprints include:
Imprint name Market Notes Center Street Traditional values Main publishing division FaithWords Christian Inspirational Main publishing division Grand Central Publishing General market and best-sellers Formerly Warner Books, has several imprints 5-Spot Women's fiction Imprint of Grand Central Publishing Business Plus Business publications Imprint of Grand Central Publishing Forever Romance novels Imprint of Grand Central Publishing Grand Central Life & Style Lifestyle & wellness Imprint of Grand Central Publishing Twelve Various Publishes one book per month that aspires to be high quality; imprint of Grand Central Publishing Vision Various Mass-market, "blockbuster" products; imprint of Grand Central Publishing Hachette Digital Audiobooks and digital books Publishes Hachette Audio Little, Brown and Company American fiction and non-fiction Focuses on "works of lasting significance"; published Little Women; one of the oldest publishers in the United States Back Bay Books Trade paperbacks of fiction and non-fiction including classics and literature Imprint of Little, Brown and Company Reagan Arthur Books great writing in the service of great stories, http://www.reaganarthurbooks.com Imprint of Little, Brown and Company Mulholland Books publishes crime novels, thrillers, police procedurals, spy stories, supernatural suspense, Imprint of Little, Brown and Company Little, Brown Books for Young Readers Picture books, hard and softcover fiction and non-fiction for young readers Has several imprints LB Kids Novelty and brand tie-ins Imprint of Little, Brown Books for Young Readers Poppy Teen girls  Imprint of Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; publishes the series: Gossip Girl, Poseur, It Girl, The A-List, Secrets of My Hollywood Life, and the Clique. Orbit Books Science fiction and fantasy http://www.orbitbooks.net/ Yen Press Graphic novels and manga An imprint of Orbit Books 
Many imprints have been acquired by the Hachette Group and the companies that were merged to form the group. Many are no longer active.
- Paperback Library (called the Warner Paperback Library after acquisition by Warner Communications in 1970)
- Questar Science Fiction
- Warner Aspect
- Ansel Adams
- Sherman Alexie
- David Baldacci
- James Bradley
- Marc Brown
- Christopher Buckley
- Jimmy Buffett
- Lincoln Child
- Stephen Colbert
- Michael Connelly
- Ted Dekker
- Nelson DeMille
- Emily Dickinson
- Malcolm Gladwell
- Chelsea Handler
- Lisi Harrison
- Christopher Hitchens
- Mary Ann Hoberman
- David Jeremiah
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Robert Kiyosaki
- Elizabeth Kostova
- Nelson Mandela
- Steve Martin
- John Maxwell
- Patrick McDonnell
- Brad Meltzer
- Joyce Meyer
- Stephenie Meyer
- Joel Osteen
- Todd Parr
- James Patterson
- Douglas Preston
- J.D. Salinger
- Amy Sedaris
- David Sedaris
- Anita Shreve
- Anne Rivers Siddons
- Nicholas Sparks
- Jon Stewart
- Trenton Lee Stewart
- Scott Turow
- David Foster Wallace
- Brent Weeks
- Don Yeager
- Cecily von Ziegesar
- ^ "Company History". Hachette Book Group USA. Visited May 7, 2008.
- ^ "FAQs." Hachette Book Group. Retrieved on April 17, 2011. "Hachette Book Group Marketing Department 237 Park Avenue New York, NY 10017"
- ^ "Ultimate Ballet Sweepstakes." Hachette Book Group. Retrieved on April 17, 2011. (Click "Enter the Sweepstakes Now!!") "Hachette Book Group Attention: SO-157B 237 Park Avenue, 15th Floor New York, NY 10012 "
- ^ .com/publisher.asp?ID=156 "Science Fiction & Fantasy Publishers: Warner Books". World With out End. icow.com, LLC. https://www.worldswithoutend .com/publisher.asp?ID=156. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- ^ "Copyrights of Golden-Age Comics". Golden-Age Comic book Superheroes & Villains Encyclopedia. http://www.herogoggles.com/copyright1.html. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- ^ "PUBLISHING: AUTHOR WINS RECOGNITION LATE". The New York Times. November 16, 1984. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/16/books/publishing-author-wins-recognition-late.html. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- ^ "Power Failure". VANITY FAIR. JULY 2002. http://www.ninamunk.com/documents/PowerFailure.htm. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- ^ "Lagardère to buy Time Warner books". The New York Times. February 6, 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/06/business/worldbusiness/06iht-book.html. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- ^ Bosman, Julie (March 26, 2007). "With a New Owner, a Book Publisher Gets a New Name". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/business/media/26warner.html?scp=4&sq=Grand%20Central%20Publishing&st=Search. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- ^ "Hachette to Change E-Book Pricing, Joining Macmillan". Business Week. Visited Feb 18, 2010.
- ^ "Hachette Book Group USA: Publishing groups". Hachette Book Group USA company website. 2008. http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/publishing_publishing-groups.aspx. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- ^ "Poppy Website". Poppy Official Website. 2010. http://www.pickapoppy.com. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- ^ "Hachette Brings Yen, Orbit Under One Roof". Publishers Weekly. 2008. http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/400237-Hachette_Brings_Yen_Orbit_Under_One_Roof.php. Retrieved 2010-02-18. [dead link]
Lagardère SCA Lagardère
PublishingHachette LivreHachette USAHachette Livre UK
Hachette Children's (Orchard* · Franklin Watts* · Wayland) · Headline · Hodder & Stoughton (Sceptre) · Hodder Education (Arnold · Chambers · Gibson · Philip Allan Updates · Teach Yourself) · John Murray · Little, Brown (Orbit · Virago · Sphere) · Octopus (Cassell Illustrated · Conran Octopus · Gaia · Godsfield · Hamlyn · Mitchell Beazley · Philip's · Spruce) · Orion Books (Weidenfeld & Nicolson · Gollancz)
SOGEADE (50%)EADS (15%)
* Lagardère SCA owns these brands in the United Kingdom only. These brands are owned by Scholastic Corporation in the United States.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hachette Book Group USA — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hachette. Hachette Book Group USA (HBG) est une maison d édition appartenant à Hachette Livre, la plus grande compagnie française d édition et la deuxième mondiale. HBG a été créé suite à l acquisition par… … Wikipédia en Français
Hachette Book Group — Die Hachette Book Group ist eine in den USA ansässige Verlagsgruppe. Sie befindet sich vollständig im Besitz von Hachette Livre, des größten Verlagshauses Frankreichs, das seinerseits der Unternehmensgruppe Groupe Lagardère gehört. Die Hachette… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hachette (maison d'édition) — Hachette Livre Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hachette. Logo de Hachette Livre Repères historiques Création 1824 … Wikipédia en Français
Hachette Littératures — Hachette Livre Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hachette. Logo de Hachette Livre Repères historiques Création 1824 … Wikipédia en Français
Hachette livre — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hachette. Logo de Hachette Livre Repères historiques Création 1824 … Wikipédia en Français
Hachette — Librería Hachette, alrededor de 1880. Hachette es un gran grupo de comunicaciones francés, ahora transformado en multinacional. Hachette tiene su sede en el XV Distrito de París. … Wikipedia Español
Hachette Livre — Infobox Company name = Hachette Livre type = genre = foundation = 1824 founder = location city = location country = location = flagicon|France Paris, France locations = area served = key people = Arnaud Nourry (CEO) industry = Edition products =… … Wikipedia
Hachette Livre — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hachette. Logo de Hachette Livre Repères historiques Création 1826 … Wikipédia en Français
Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. — Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. Parent company Hachette Filipacchi Médias Status Defunct (2011) Founded 1972 Successor Hearst Magazines Country of origin United States … Wikipedia
USA PATRIOT Act — Full title Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 Acronym USA PATRIOT Act, also Patriot Act Enacted by the 107th United States Congress … Wikipedia