- Rich Dad, Poor Dad
infobox Book |
name = Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Robert Kiyosaki& Sharon Lechter
country = USA
language = English
genre = Novel
publisher = Warner Books Ed
release_date = 2000 April 1
media_type = Hardback & Paperback
pages = 207
isbn = ISBN 0-446-67745-0
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is Robert Kiyosaki's and
Sharon Lechter's first best-selling book. It advocates financial independence through investing, real estate, owning businesses, and the use of finance protection tactics.
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is written in an anecdotal manner aimed at making finances interesting. Fact|date=June 2007 The most central element stressed by
Kiyosakiand Lechteris the advocacy of owning the system or means of production, rather than being an employee of someone else.
It is largely based on Kiyosaki's upbringing and education in
Hawaii, although the degree of fictionalization is disputed. Because of the heavy use of allegory, some readers believe that Kiyosaki created "Rich Dad" as an author surrogate(a literary device), discussed further in the criticism section below. Many readers believe that the "Rich Dad" in the book is actually the founder of Hawaii's widespread ABC Stores. Anthony Robbinsholds a seminar called 'Wealth Mastery' and one of the keynote speakers is a gentleman called Keith Cunningham. During the seminar Cunningham claimed to be Kiyosaki's Rich Dad. This is highly unlikely not only because of the similarity in age between Cunningham and Kiyosaki, but also because Kiyosaki had stated in his books that Rich Dad had died in 1994. Some have claimed that Rich Dad was a person named Richard Kimi, the deceased founder of Sand and Seaside Hawaiian Hotels.
The book highlights the different attitudes to money, work and life of these two men, and how they in turn influenced key decisions in Kiyosaki's life.
Among some of the book's topics are:
*the value of financial intelligence
*that corporations spend first, then pay taxes, while individuals must pay taxes first
*that corporations are artificial entities that "anyone" can use, but the poor usually don't know how
According to Kiyosaki and Lechter, wealth is measured as the number of days the income from your assets will sustain you, and financial independence is achieved when your monthly income from assets exceeds your monthly expenses. Each dad had a different way of teaching his son.
* "Physical exercise improves health, mental exercise improves wealth, laziness destroys both."
* "A true luxury is a reward for investing in and developing a real asset."
* "Remember the Golden Rule. He who has the gold makes the rules."
* "The only way to get out of the '
rat race' is to prove your proficiency at both accounting and investing, arguably two of the most difficult subjects to master."
* "I have mentioned before that financial intelligence is a
synergyof accounting, investing, marketing and law. Combine those four technical skills and making money with money is easier."
* “Most people are poor because when it comes to investing, the world is filled with Chicken Littles running around yelling, ‘The sky is falling. The sky is falling.’”
* “Many of today's youth have
credit cards before they leave high school, yet they have never had a course in money or how to invest it, let alone understand how compound interest works on credit cards.”
* "The poor and middle class work for money. The rich have money work for them." (P30).
* "The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat."
* [http://www.realestatebookreview.blogspot.com/2007/10/rich-dad-poor-dad.html Property & Related Book Reviews]
* [http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor-Money-That-Middle/dp/0446677450 Amazon]
* [http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0446677450&itm=1 Barnes & Noble]
- "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" has been criticized for having almost no concrete advice and too many anecdotal lessons. There are readers who have reported finishing the book feeling motivated and ready to begin "escaping the rat race," only to realize soon after that they have been given no idea how to proceed. It has also been said that discerning fact from fiction or anecdote is difficult in the book.
- Some advice given in the book is thought to be poor or even dangerous by other investors. For example, Kiyosaki advocates focusing on a few "good investments" rather than diversifying. He also downplays the importance of traditional education.
John T. Reed, an outspoken critic of Robert Kiyosaki, says, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" contains much wrong advice, much bad advice, some dangerous advice, and virtually no good advice." [http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2003/07/14/s] He also states, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is one of the dumbest financial advice books I have ever read. It contains many factual errors and numerous extremely unlikely accounts of events that supposedly occurred." [http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/03/1086203560484.html?from=storyrhs] Kiyosaki has provided a rebuttal to many of Reed's statements.
- Some of the claims Kiyosaki makes in "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" about his accomplishments appear to be
exaggerations, fabrications or misdirection. People have speculated on the identity of his "rich dad" and whether this individual even existed, reasoning that such a man, whom Kiyosaki describes as "one of the richest men in the Islands," and his family who carry on his tradition, would have been very well known in as small a state as Hawaii. In the February 2003 issue of " SmartMoney" magazine, Kiyosaki backed off his claim that his "rich dad" was a real person, instead saying, "Is Harry Potterreal? Why don’t you let Rich Dad be a myth, like Harry Potter?"
*"Rich Dad, Poor Dad - What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money - That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!", by Robert Kiyosaki & Sharon L. Lechter. Publisher - Warner Business Books / First published in
2000/ ISBN 0-446-67745-0
*Sharon Lechter's Home Page [http://www.slechter.com Lechter's official Web site]
*Robert Kiyosaki Home Page [http://richdad.com Kiyosaki's official website]
* Kiyosaki's official [https://www.richdadcoaching.com/ Rich Dad's Coaching]
* [http://finance.yahoo.com/columnist/archives/headline/richricher/2005 Why the Rich Get Richer] , Kiyosaki's regular column on Yahoo! Finance
* [http://programcritique.com/subcategories/reviews/RobertKiyosaki1572.html"Possible Info on 'Rich Dad' "] An anonymous commentator posts that "Rich Dad" was [http://seasidehotelshawaii.com/About.aspx Richard Kimi' "] , of the Sand & Seaside Hotels in Hawaii
* "Why millions buy Rich Dad, Poor Dad's nonsense" from [http://www.slate.com/?id=2067175 Slate]
* [http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html John T Reed's analysis of the book]
* [http://wikisummaries.org/Rich_Dad%2C_Poor_Dad Full summary of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of American Dad! characters — The Smith family Back: Roger, Francine, Klaus, Hayley, and Steve; Front: Stan This is a list of characters from the American television series American Dad!. Contents … Wikipedia
Born Rich — fortune.It was purchased by HBO. The film was described as a documentary on children of the insanely rich, directed by one of their own, Johnson Johnson Inc. heir Jamie Johnson. It consists primarily of Johnson interviewing his friends and peers… … Wikipedia
Robert Kiyosaki — Infobox Person name = Robert Kiyosaki 200px image size = 336 x 283 caption = birth date = birth date and age|1947|4|8 birth place = Hilo, Hawaii death date = death place = occupation = Investor, Entrepreneur, Author, Motivational speaker networth … Wikipedia
Sharon Lechter — Infobox Person name = Sharon L. Lechter image size = caption = birth date = birth date and age|1954|1|12 birth place = death date = death place = occupation = Investor, CPA, Author, Speaker, Entrepreneur education = Accounting from Florida State… … Wikipedia
Kiyosaki — Robert Toru Kiyosaki (* 8. April 1947 in Hilo, Hawaii) ist ein Geschäftsmann, Investor, Autor von Selbsthilfebüchern. Am bekanntesten ist er für die Serie der Rich Dad, Poor Dad–Bücher und dazugehörigen Materialien. Bisher schrieb er 18 Bücher,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert T. Kiyosaki — Robert Toru Kiyosaki (* 8. April 1947 in Hilo, Hawaii) ist ein Geschäftsmann, Investor, Autor von Selbsthilfebüchern. Am bekanntesten ist er für die Serie der Rich Dad, Poor Dad–Bücher und dazugehörigen Materialien. Bisher schrieb er 18 Bücher,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Kiyosaki — Robert Toru Kiyosaki (* 8. April 1947 in Hilo, Hawaii) ist ein Geschäftsmann, Investor, Autor von Selbsthilfebüchern. Am bekanntesten ist er für die Serie der Rich Dad, Poor Dad–Bücher und dazugehörigen Materialien. Bisher schrieb er 18 Bücher,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Список американских телепрограмм по дате начала показа — Содержание 1 2010 е 1.1 2011 1.1.1 Январь 1.1.2 Февраль … Википедия
Mike Maloney — Michael Maloney Born February 13, 1956 (1956 02 13) (age 55) Salem, Oregon, United States Occupation Investor, author, serial en … Wikipedia
Liste erfolgreicher Bücher nach verkauften Exemplaren — Das Frontispiz der 1611er Erstausgabe der King James Bible Dieser Artikel führt Listen meistverkaufter Bücher und Buchreihen. Für einige Bücher ist eine fehlerfreie Buchführung der Verkaufszahlen unmöglich, weshalb ein solches Buch nicht… … Deutsch Wikipedia