infobox UK place
country = Scotland
Lambroughton is a village in the old Barony of
Kilmaurs, East Ayrshire, Scotland. This is a rural area famous for its milk and cheese production and the Ayrshire or Dunlop breed of cattle.
Origins of the name
The surname and place name both appear to be derived from that of the clan McLamroch. Only a handful of people in Great Britain have that name today. McLandsborough, Landsborough, Landsburgh, Lamroch, Lamrochton, Lamrock, Lamberton are all variants. The lands of Lambroughton lie in the parish of
Dreghornand have therefore given rise to a fairly common personal name. Several graves in the neighbouring parish church of Kilmaurs: St Maurs-Glencairn carry the name Lamberton, a William Lambroughton was the 'Kilmaurs poet' (See Additional notes) and the name is now found all over the World. A Laird of Lamrochton is recorded in the 14th. century.
The place name has many variants, such as, Lambruchton, Lambrochton, Lamrochtoune (1544), Lambrachton, Lambrachtoun, Lambrachtoune (1332),Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 144.] Lambroughtoune (1794), Lambriegton, Lambughton (1672), Lambructon (1669), MacIntosh, John (1894). "Ayrshire Nights Entertainments: A Descriptive Guide to the History, Traditions, Antiquities, etc. of the County of Ayr." Pub. Kilmarnock. P. 195.] Lammerachtounhead (1745 - 55), Lamburghtonn (1776)Taylor, G. and Skinner, A. (1776) 'Survey and maps of the roads of North Britain or Scotland'] , Lambroychtoune (1561), Lambrieghton and Lambristoune. The 'Mc' part of the name was dropped and Lamrochton became Lambroughton after passing through several intermediate stages. At this time, due to Queen Margaret, niece of
Edward the Confessorand the second wife of Malcolm III(1058–1093), it was customary to anglicise surnames and many families did so, such as Andrews, Adams, Campbell, etc. The Highlanders called her the 'Accursed Margaret', to the Lowlanders she became St. Margaret!Best, Nicholas (1999). The Kings and Queens of Scotland. Pub. London. ISBN 0-297-82489-9.] . There is a parallel to this in the Isle of Manwhere few signs remain of the old Manx language patronymicsystem remain. Today (2006) there are several farms with 'Lambroughton' incorporated, namely 'Townhead of Lambroughton', 'East Lambroughton', 'West Lambroughton' and 'Mid Lambroughton'. Timothy Pont's map of 'Cuninghamia', surveyed in the early 1600s (1604–1608), but not published until the 1654 by J.Blaeu indicates the place names of 'Lambrochmill', 'Mains of Lambrochton' and 'Lambrochton B.(bridge?)'. Ainslie in 1821 only names Lambriegtonend for Townhead of Lamb. and Lambriegton for Mid Lambroughton.
Many of the abbreviations give a soft pronunciation to the 'gh', as in 'Lamberton', however the original Scots pronunciation may have been more like the 'och' in 'loch', thus 'Lambrochton' would be closer to the original.
The origins of the name Cunninghame
label = Lambroughton
position = Right
lat = 55.66
long = -4.53
caption = Location of Lambroughton, Ayrshire.
width = 150Robertson states that the name is variously described as originating from the Danish appellation 'King's House' or the Gaelic Cuineag, a 'milkchurn'. In this context Pont in 1604 records that the parishes of Dunlop and Stewarton produced very significant amounts of butter, with "One aker of ground heir zeilding more butter then 3 akers of ground in aney ye nixt adiacent countreyes."Another possibility stated by McNaught*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] is that the name derives from the "coney" or rabbit country. This is not as unlikely as it might sound, for Hart-Davis points out that no Anglo-Saxon or Celtic word for 'rabbit' exists and no mention is made of them in the
Domesday Bookof 1086, also 'coneys' were adults and the term rabbits was only used for the young. The Normans, such as Warnebald, introduced the species for their meat and fur. They were either kept in warrens within stone walls or kept on small islands, such as on Little Cumbrae*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] . Only later did they escape into the wild and become a successful member of the British fauna. Black rabbits were especially valued for their fur. Significantly a pair of coneys are the supporters on the Earls of Glencairns coat of arms. Mackenzie also sees the name as coming from either "Coning", a rabbit or "Cyning", a king; preferring King as denoting a Royal manor during the Anglo-Saxon sovereignty over Galloway. The use of a pictorial rhyming pun is called a rebusand is very common on coats of arms. A Charter of the time of Mary, Queen of Scots, refers to Eglinton's 'cunningaries,' Scots for rabbit-warrens.Earls of Eglinton. Ref. GD3. National Archives of Scotland.]
Another theory is that the name derives from that of Cunedda ap Edern who lived in the mid 5th. Century. The Latin form of his name is Cunetacius and the English is Kenneth. He is also known as Cunedda Wledig ('the Imperator') as he was an important early Welsh or Brythonic leader, originally from the area known as Manau Goddin with its capital at Dunedin or as it is now known, Edinburgh. He was a famous leader and the progenitor of the royal dynasty of Gwynedd. His name 'Cunedda' derives from the Brythonic word counodagos, meaning 'good lord'. He drove the Irish out of North Wales and left behind a reputation which has become bound up in myth and legend.
By the early 1200s the family had taken the surname of Cunynghame now Cunninghame. Paterson,Paterson, James (1863-66). "History of the Counties of Ayr and Wigton". V. - III - Cunninghame. J. Stillie. Edinburgh.] a man brought up in Kilmaurs parish, argues that the original name was Cunigham and that local people pronounced it that way until relatively recently. McNaught in 1912 confirms this and states that the name all over Scotland is still pronounced "Kinikam". The Gaelic pronunciation of Cunninghame could easily be taken as sounding not unlike "Kinikam".
Robertson points out that the various branches of the family spell their name differently; as Cunninghame for Glencairn and Corsehill, Cuninghame for Caddel and Monkredding, Cunningham for Baidland and Clonbeith and finally Cuningham for Glengarnock. It is said by Chalmers in his "Caledonia" as quoted by McNaught*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] , that the settlement of Kilmaurs was known as Conygham until it was changed sometime in the thirteenth century.
The modern view is that the name Kilmaurs is derived from the Gaelic "Cil Mor Ais", meaning Hill of the Great CairnYoung, Alex F.(2001). Old Kilmaurs and Fenwick. ISBN 1-84033-150-X.] . Kilmaurs was known as the hamlet of Cunninghame until the 13th century.Groome, Francis H. (1903). "Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland." Pub. Caxton. London. P. 938.
The Cunningham family's connection with Lambroughton
The feudal allocation of tenements to the vassals of the overlord, De Morville, was carried out very carefully, with the boundaries being walked and carefully recordedDillon, William J. (1950). The Origins of Feudal Ayrshire. Ayr Arch & Nat Hist Soc. Collections. Vol.3. P. 73] . The term 'ton' at this time was added to the site of the dwelling house, not necessarily a grand stone-built structure, which was bounded by a wall or fence. The tenements were held in a military tenure, the land being in exchange for military assistance to the overlord. In later years the military assistance could be exchanged for financial payment. Robertson*Robertson, George (1820). "Topographical Description of Ayrshire; more Particularly of Cunninghame: together with a Genealogical account of the Principal families in that Bailiwick." Cunninghame Press. Irvine.] records Lambruchton as one of the many lands held by the De Morvilles.
It is likely that the "Lambroughton" mentioned in the early records refer to the site the farm now known as Townhead of Lambroughton. Pont records a Mains of Lambrochtoun in 1604 and as the term 'mains' refers to the home farm of an estate, cultivated by or for the 'owner', then we can assume that the main dwelling was here or hereabouts. The 'place ' of Lambroughtoun is mentioned in 1544. It should be noted that it was the custom of a landowner or farmer to take the name of the land which he owned or cultivated.
Warnebald/Wernebald or Vernebald from
Flanderswas a vassal of Hugo de Morville (died 1202), hereditary Constable of Scotland. They both came to Scotland via Burgin Cumbria. Hugo, who came from Morville in the department of Manchein Normandy, granted the Barony of Kilmaurs to Wernebald in around 1140 and Lambrochton was the most important of the lands given in this grantBeattie, Robert (1990). Kilmaurs Past and Present. Kilmaurs Historical Society.] The De Morvilles also held Applebyand PendragonCastles and other lands in Cumbriaat this timeSalter, Mike (2002). The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria. Folly Publications. ISBN 1-871731-36-4.] .
The earliest reference to the use of the Lambroughton name in any form of personal context seems to be that of a Gulielmus (William) de Lambristoune who was a witness to a charter conveying the lands of Pokellie (Pokelly) from Sir Gilchrist More to a Ronald Mure at a date around 1280. We do not know if this Guilielmus was a Cunninghame, however we are told by Timothy Pont the cartographer and topographer in the early 1600s that Lambrouchtoune was the "ancientest inheritance of the predecessors of the Cunninghames of Glencairne".
The Barony of Kilmaurs was composed of the lands of Buston, also Bowieston and Buythstoun (now Buiston), Fleuris (now Floors), Lambroughton, Whyrrig, (now Wheatrig) and previously QuhytrigeCommisariot of Glasgow Wills from the Commissariot of Glasgow 1547] , and Southwick or Southuck (now South Hook). South Hook (previously also Southeuck or Seurnbenck) is near Knockentiber and was part of the tenement of Lambroughton within the barony, showing that the lands of Lambroughton were fairly sizeable at one time.
King Alexander II (1198 – 1249) gave the whole barony of Kilmaurs to Henry de Conyghameand then it is recorded that all the lands of Cunyngham were granted to a Robert Stuart, son of Walter (before 1321).
The Barony was originally held by the powerful De Morville family who were related to
John Baliolthrough his mother, Devorgilla, a daughter of the De Morville family and the founder of Sweetheart Abbeyin Kirkcudbright. Another view is that Devorgilla was the daughter of Alan of Galloway and was not a de Morville.Oram, Richard D. (1999) Devorgilla, The Balliols and Buittle. Transactions of the Dumfrieshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society. LXXIII. P. 165 - 181.] However her nieces Margaret and Elena (Ela), married into the de Ferrers and de la Zouche families, related to the De Quinceys, Earls of Winchester from whom the Lambrochtoun lands may have been inherited.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 144.] It is pertinent to point out that lineage and relationships are made more difficult by the not infrequent habit of indirect male heirs assuming the names and titles of their indirect family inheritences. The De Morville's were also related to another claimant for the Scottish crown, John Comyn. John Baliol's nephew. Bruce and his supporters murdered John Comyn in the church at Dumfries. Baliol lost the crown to Robert the Bruce, who ruled from 1306 – 1329, then rewarded his loyal supporters, the Cunninghames, by granting the lands of Lambrachton and Polquharne (also Polcarn) to a Hugo de Cunynghame of Lambroughton who died without issue and in 1321 the king then gave the lands of Lambrachton and Grugere to Robertus de Conyngham of Kilmaurs.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 144.] This Robert was then known as Robert de Cunninghame of Lambroughton.Alan de La Zuche and William de Ferreres (cousins) who had held these lands previously from Hugh de Morville (see Floors Farm) were dispossessed. Alan de La Zuche descendants gave rise to the Ashby De La Zuche family and town, whilst the Marquis of Townsend is the direct descendant of William De Ferreres. The De Ferreres family came over from Ferrieres-St.Hilaire in Normandywith Duke William and had extensive lands in England, founding Merevale, Darley & Abbey Dore abbeys.Barber, Chris & Pykitt, David (1993). Journey to Avalon. The Final Discovery of King Arthur. Pub. Blorenge. ISBN 1-872730-03-5 P. 171.] The 1328 Northamptonpeace treaty between Scotland and England did not return lands to those who had suffered forfeiture.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 127 -128.] During the reign of Edward IIthe dispossessed lords, including de la Zouche and De Ferrers, under the leadership of Edward Balliolinvaded Scotland and may have regained their lands temporarily.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 148.] In 1363 under the treaty of David IIwith Edward IIIof England, the lord 'Ferrars' was still trying to repossess lands in Scotland.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 254.] The importance of the tenement is illustrated by the efforts made by dispossessed lords to recover them and by fact that William Cunninghame of Lamberton (see 'Lamberton in the Scottish Borders') (1297–1328) was Bishop of St.Andrews in 1322McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] and he was the 'Guardian of Scotland' for a time during the inter-regnum when Cumyn, Baliol, Bruce and others were disputing the crown of Scotland.Dalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. I.] At the battle of Bannockburnhe never failed his younger friend, indeed, it was he who observed the crucial moment in battle where the Scots, greatly outnumbered, were beginning to flag. It was at that point he decided to take a hand and leaving the safety of the Scots baggage train, he led the charge of the 'small folk' — women, old men and others who had been injured or otherwise excluded from the fighting — armed with sticks, kitchen knives, meat cleavers, indeed, anything they could lay their hands on — to the aid of the flagging Scots. It was this crucial intervention which finally turned the battle. From a distance, the English mistook them for a fresh army, and the sheets and blankets they had tied to poles to be banners and flags. In that moment, the Battle of Bannockburn was won.
William was also charged with the responsibility for disbanding the Knight's Templars in Scotland and probably allowed them to escape gaol and execution in exchange for finance, weapons and other assistance against the English. He died in 1328 and was buried at
St. Andrews. King Robert III(1340 – 1406) granted the lands of Lambrochton and Kilmaurs to Sir William Cuninghame. Robert Stewart, first Duke of Albany (Brother of King Robert III) later granted these lands to Robert Cuninghame. In 1413 Sir William de Cunynghame*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] Lord of Kilmaurs endowed the collegiate church at Kilmaurs with all of his lands of the Southuck (now South Hook) within the tenement of Lambrachtoun and other properties. The income was to pay for three priests to say prayers for the safety of his soul, that of his parents and of Hervy the church's founder, etc. In 1346 a William Baillie, the Baillie of Lambistoun or Lambimtoun, vulgarly called Lamington is listed by DalrympleDalrymple, Sir David (1776). Annals of Scotland. Pub. J. Murray. London. Vol. II. P. 327.] amongst the prisoners taken by the English at the Battle of Durhamwhich had taken place on 17 October of that year. He was in the company of a Thomas Boyd of Kilmarnock and Andrew Campbell of Loudoun. Details of the Lairds of Lambroughton are contained within the papers of Dick Cunyngham (1627) of Prestonfield, Midlothian.Dick Cunyngham's papers. Scottish National Archives. Ref. GD1/1123/38.]
The Cunninghame chiefs seem to have only a slight connection with the barony of Kilmaurs after 1484 when Finlaystone appears to have become the family seat. In 1616 many parcels of land belonging to the Barony of Kilmaurs were disposed of, together with
Kilmaursplace and other possessions*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] . In 1520 Lambrochton was acquired by Hugh, first Earl of Eglintoun (see Townhead of Lambroughton). Paterson (1866) states that Lambruchton was one of the lands inherited by Alexander Cuninghame of Corshill in May 1546, held by right of Royal Charter.
In 1632 Alexander Conyngham had Lambroughton and Crumshaw Mill; in 1640 Johne Conyngham held part of the lands of Langmure, probably including Lambroughton, at a valuation of £200 a year, the rest being held by Stewart Fergushill at £66, 12 shillings and 10 pence.Dobie, James D. (ed Dobie, J.S.) (1876). "Cunninghame, Topographized by Timothy Pont" 1604–1608, with continuations and illustrative notices. Pub. John Tweed, Glasgow.]
In 1667 Mr. John Cuninghame of Lambrughton (later Sir John) was one of the thirteen Commissioners of Supply for Ayrshire. The main purpose of the commissioners was to organise the collection, in an effective manner, of taxes. Their significance was that they held their power directly from royal authority and not as a feudal right. They later took on the role of organising education and the control of roads, bridges and ferries. They were replaced in 1890 by the County Councils, but survived with a few vestigial functions until 1929Strawhorn, John (1975). Ayrshire. The Story of a County. Ayrshire Arch & Nat Hist Soc p. 67.] .
Sir John Cunninghame of Lambroughton was the patron of Dreghorn and Kilmaurs kirks in 1670. He was an advocate, one of the most distinguished lawyers of his day,Paterson, James (1863). History of the Counties of Ayr and Wigton. Pub. James Stillie. Edinburgh. Vol.1.-Kyle. P. 649.] and obtained the sanction of parliament to use vacant stipends for the purpose of repairing churches and manses in these parishes.McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] He already possessed the lands of Lambruchton, before acquiring the in 1683 the barony of Caprington from John Earl of Glencairn.Paterson, James (1863). History of the Counties of Ayr and Wigton. Pub. James Stillie. Edinburgh. Vol.1.-Kyle. P. 649.] John Cuninghame of Broomhill, Lambructon, and Caprington was created a baronet on 21 September 1669 to him and his male heirs only.Millar, A. H. (1885). The Castles & Mansions of Ayrshire. Reprinted The Grimsay Press. ISBN 1-84530-019-x. P. 44] MacIntosh, John (1894). "Ayrshire Nights Entertainments: A Descriptive Guide to the History, Traditions, Antiquities, etc. of the County of Ayr." Pub. Kilmarnock. P. 195.] and died 1684, succeeded by his son, Sir William, who is titled 'of Caprington' only. The history of the family is that of the Cunninghame's of Caprington from this point on.Paterson, James (1863). History of the Counties of Ayr and Wigton. Pub. James Stillie. Edinburgh. Vol.1.-Kyle. P. 65 - 652.]
In 1675 Sir John Cunninghame Bart., conveyed to Robert Cunningham, druggist / apothecary, Edinburgh, the lands of 'Langmuir, Langsyde, Auldtoun and Lambrochtoune in whose family they seem to have remained until 1820, when George Cunninghame was the owner. This same Robert was cousin German to Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Cunynghame of Auchinharvie and inherited the lands of Crivoch-Lindsay, together with Crivoch corn mill and Fairlie-Crivoch, including the Chapel lands and glebe of Fairlie-Crivoch. See
Various mentions are made to a Thirdpart, such as in 1574 when it was a thirdpart or 5 merkland of Lambroughtoun Robertoune, being in that barony and not part of the Barony of Kilmaurs.Plan of the Barony of Kilmaurs. Scotttish National Archives. Ref. RHP35796/1-26.]
It is likely that the Lambroughtons were a cadet family of the Cunninghames of Kilmaurs.
Townhead of Lambroughton (Lambrochtoune) itself must have passed to the Longmuirs by 1734 as it is recorded by McNaught that Gabriel Longmuir of what is now High Langmuir owned the farm at this date.
Legend of Friskin and Malcolm Canmore
One version of the story is given by Robert Cunnighame in 1740. In his manuscript, entitled "the Right Honorable the Earl of Glencairn's family", MacBeth murders his cousin, King Duncan I and the king's son, Malcolm Canmore (Great chief, long neck or 'big head' in Gaelic) tries to reach temporary safe refuge in his castle of Corsehill (also Crosshill) outside Stewarton. gave Malcolm an army which permitted him to conquer Scotland and kill King MacBeth at the Battle of Lumphanan in 1057Best, Nicholas (1999). The Kings and Queens of Scotland. Pub. London. ISBN 0-297-82489-9.] . The grateful King Malcolm III (1031 to 1093) gave Friskine the thanedom or Baillery of Cunninghame and the family took this name, together with the motto of 'Over fork over' which they retain to this day (Robertson 1908). It is also said that the Cunninghames were 'Masters of the king's horses' and that they took their motto from this position in the 'punning way' which is typical of the armorial bearings and mottos of many an aristocratic family.
In another version of the story, it is stated by Frederick van Bassen Douglas, Robert (1764). The Peerage of Scotland. Pub. R.Fleming. P. 289.] who was a learned Norwegian, that the saviour of Malcolm was actually a Malcolm, son of Friskin, however in other respects the story is the same.
This story does not fit with the historical record, however it is of ancient origin and a grain of truth must in some way relate it to real events. The lands given to the family would have included the tenement of Lambroughton.
Lambroughton and the murder of Thomas Becket
In 1887 it is recorded*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] that a manuscript containing the genealogy of the Cunninghames of Glencairn states the following;-
"The founder of the family of Cunningham was Neil Cunningham, designed governor of Lambroughton, born in England in the year of our Lord, 1131. Being ane English gentleman , and come of ane ancient family, he, together with others, was enticed or rather forced by his lawful prince, King
Henry II of England, his private orders, to commit murder upon the person of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, which he accordingly put in execution 30 December, 1172, after which he was held in so great hatred by his countrymen that for shelter from their fury he flees to Scotland and takes up habitation in the country of Cunningham, after which he becomes in great favour with our King for his good service in saving the King's life at ane battle in Cunningham at Kilmairs, where he was enclosed by his enemies, and for which good service in saving the King's life he obtained from the King the lands of Lambroughton, and was made sole governor thereof." This Neil married the daughter of the Laird of Arnot and had four sons.
This version does not agree with the others, however it does confirm an ancient battle in the vicinity of Kilmaurs, involving King Malcolm IIIDouglas, Robert (1764). The Peerage of Scotland. Pub. R.Fleming. P. 289.] .
Lamberton in the Scottish Borders
Logan MackMack, James Logan (1926). "The Border Line". Pub. Oliver & Boyd. Pps. 317–322.] records the existence of the village of Lamberton in the Scottish Borders at the extreme north and east end of the border march, near Berwick. It was destroyed in 1548 by a raid led by the Earl of Hertford and only a church and a few farms of that name remain today. It is suggested that the name came from the Saxon first name Lambert and the placename was in was in use by 1098. We know of a William, Henry and a John de Lamberton; Logan Mack states that it probably from this ancient family that the famous William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews arose. This bishop's special fame derives from his role in advising and assisting
William Wallaceand especially King Robert the Brucein his ultimately successful efforts to throw off the English yoke.
Only further research will finally settle the question of any relationship between the two Lambertons, however McNaught*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] states that William was a Cunninghame of Lambroughton. Details from the National Dictionary of Biography seem to clarify his origins in the Lamberton family, originally from
Berwickshire, but holding lands in north-east Scotland by the late twelfth century and later in Stirlingshire.
Townhead of Lambroughton
Armstrong's mapArmstrong and Son. Engraved by S.Pyle (1775). A New Map of Ayr Shire comprehending Kyle, Cunningham and Carrick.] of 1775 shows a Lamberton, Pont's map of the 1600s shows a Mains of Lambrochton, ArrowsmithArrowsnith, Aaron (1807). A Map of Scotland Constructed from original Materials.] in 1807 shows Lamberton, Ainslie's mapAinslie, John (1821). A Map of the Southern Part of Scotland.] of 1821 shows a Lambrieghtonend and finally Aitken's mapAitken, John (1829). Survey of the Parishes of Cunningham. Pub. Beith.] of 1829 gives a Townhead of Lamberton, occupied by a Mr. Orr Esq. By 1866 Alexander Orr Esq. is the ownerDobie, James D. (ed Dobie, J.S.) (1876). "Cunninghame, Topographized by Timothy Pont" 1604–1608, with continuations and illustrative notices. Pub. John Tweed, Glasgow.] In . The name Lambroughton Head is however indicated by the 1858 and 1895 OS maps, but finally by 1897 the 6" to the mile OS shows the name Townhead of Lambroughton which it has retained ever since. In 1561 the site is referred to as the Town of Lambroychtoune.Lairds of Lambroughton. Ref. GD1/1123/37. National Archives of Scotland.] The old Stewarton to Irvine road seems to have run through the group of buildings at Lambroughton and as it no longer does then its course would probably have been altered when the turnpike road was constructed in the 1760s. The old entrance onto the Chapeltoun to Kilmaurs road is no longer in use, but it may represent part of the original route of the 1775 road and some evidence of a road running through the farmyard and out to run behind Laigh Castleton farm is evident from ground conditions Forrest, Jean (2006). Oral Communications to Roger S.Ll. Griffith] . A lane also ran off a crossroads (now a 'T' junction of sorts) near Floors and ran down to the farm as shown on Ainslie's 1821 map. A lane ran from Mid Lamb. directly to Townhead of Lamb. until the turnpike was constructed.
McNaught*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] states that one Hugh Lamberton, a merchant of Glasgow, left £300 in the early 1800s as the Lamberton Mortification to be used to provide fuel, food or clothing for the local poor. He may of come from Townhead of Lambroughton as he was obviously a man with strong local connections.A
Marriage stonebuilt into a wall on the farm reads 'AL MR 1707'. This may be Alexander Langmuir, however it predates the ownership of the farm by his father Gabriel Longmuir in 1734. Another stone bears a date which seems to be 1724 and was part of a two story building demolished recently (2006).
Reid's Family HistoryReid (1910). Family History. Private Publication.] gives us the occupants, but not necessarily the owners, with Alexander Langmuir in 1532, John in 1603, Alexander in 1609 and his first wife Isabel (nee Langmure) and daughter Isabel. His second wife was Janet Tod. In 1666 we have Alexander Langmure, John Langmuir in 1710, Alexander in 1721, John Langmuir in 1730 and Gabriel Langmuir in 1730, who as stated below, was an owner occupier. Alexander Langmuir was living here in 1762 and in 1794 Alexander Longmuir was referred to in papers held in the Scottish National Archives as a 'Portioner' of Lambroughton. The records of Dreghorn Parish church give us these dates as the family tradition was to become Church Elders.
Samuelle Moors of Lambroughtoune purchases lands in Chapletoune from John Faulds of Kingswell Muir in 1709, with Thomas Brown as the tenant. An Adam Moor had been a previous occupantChapeltoun Mains Archive (2007) - legal documents of the Lands of Chapelton from 1709 onwards.] .
Townhead of Lambroughton (Lambrochtoune) itself must have passed to the Longmuirs by 1734 as it is recorded by McNaught that Gabriel Longmuir of what is now High Langmuir owned the farm at this date. In 1811 - 13 Alexander Longmuir held the property, his wife being Margaret Roid (Reid). In 1820 Robertson gives Lambertonhead a rental value of £118, the proprietor being William Orr, Esq.As stated, Lambrouchton-head was owned in 1734 by Gabriel LongmuirDobie, James D. (ed Dobie, J.S.) (1876). "Cunninghame, Topographized by Timothy Pont" 1604–1608, with continuations and illustrative notices. Pub. John Tweed, Glasgow.] who was succeeded by Alexander Longmuir, whose sister, Margaret, married William Orr in Langmuir, Kilmaurs. Their eldest son William Orr succeeded to the property in 1808 and built the present mansion house. William married Grizell Lock of Hollybush in Paisley and had eight sons and two daughters. The eldest son, Alexander inherited the property in 1856 and married Margaret Gilmour of Dunlop. They had seven children who inherited the property conjointly. Alexander Orr Esquire of Lambroughton Mains died on 5th. June 1860, aged 62, however Margaret lived on until the age of 92, dying on the 22nd December, 1909. They were both buried in
Townhead of Lambroughton is include in Davis's book and he records it as being a small estate long independent of the larger estates which surround it and comments on the old building of 1724.
The placename changed from Mains of Lambroughton in 1604, to Lambroughton-end in 1821, to Lambroughton-Head in 1858 and finally to Townhead of Lambroughton by 1897. The name change reflects the status of the site, from firstly being a 'ton' of the tenement held by the feudal vassal to a small estate amongst other "Lambroughton" farms to a modern farm amongst others of equal status. The usage of Townhead, Mid and Townend is quite commonly found when the same identifying 'surname' name is used.
Langmuir and its connection with Townhead of Lambroughton
The estate of Langmuir (now High Langmuir) used to include Auldtoun (previously Auldtoune), Langsyde, part of Lambroughton and also part of Busbie*McNaught, Duncan (1912). "Kilmaurs Parish and Burgh." Pub. A.Gardner.] .
Robertson has the family of Langmuir of Langmuir (Pont gives Langmoor) in his desiderata appendix as an ancient and respected family who are either extinct or no longer live in the area. He asks for any details of the family to be passed to him (1823).
East Lambroughton Farm
Thomson's map of 1828 does not mark this farm, however Aitken's map of 1829 names the farm as Lamberton, however by 1858 the name becomes East Lambroughton, presumably to clarify potential confusion with the other farms, as indicated by the 6 in. to the mile OS map. East Lambroughton is shown but not named on the 1895 OS. East Lambroughton is not marked on the Pont's (1604) or Armstrong's (1775) map.
James Nairn was christened on
30 October1788 in Stewarton. James lived in East Lambroughton in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. He died there on 17 October1861. No record of marriage or children exists. The parents of local character, businessman, steam, tractor and agricultural implements enthusiast Frank 'Rob Roy' Neill lived here for a short while after they were married, moving to Kilmaurs after about a year. Frank's father was a Traction engineDriver as witnessed by the Birth Certificate of his son. The father of Davie Smith of Peacockbank Farm was born here. Mr. Tom & Mrs. Nancy Forrest lived at East Lambroughton Cottages when they were first built. The Forrests moved to Byres Farm.
The farmhouse was eventually divided into three separate 'flats' with the three families being McNiven, Rae and KellyForrest, Jean (2006). Oral Communications to Roger S.Ll. Griffith] . The McNiven's were the first occupants of Number 3, Chapeltoun Terrace and the Rae's were the first to occupy Number 4. Jimmy Rae had been the Ploughman at Castleton Farm. These council built houses are just across the field from the old farm buildings. Number 3 was later occupied in their retirement by John and Minnie Hastings of West Lambroughton and the Bull family lived at Number 1.
A traveller named Stanley Macallan lived as an unofficial occupant of the upper room for a while in the late 1980sRoberts, Richard (2006). Oral communication with Griffith, R.S.Ll.] .
Mid Lambroughton Farm
Aitken's 1829 map gives the name Mid Lamberton and Ainslie's 1821 map only records the farm as Lambreighton. The farm is not marked on the Pont's (1604) or Armstrong's (1775) map. On 17 June 1821 John Calderwood and his spouse Jean Templeton in Mid Lambrighton (sic) had a lawful daughter born May 16th and baptized at Dreghorn parish church, named Jean. The farm was originally a single story height and was thatched, however following a fire it was given a second floor, the changes being clearly 'readable' in the stonework of the external walls. During renovations a fire charred beam was found, strong enough to have been retained. James Forrest was a noted botanist and an active member of the Kilmarnock Glenfield Ramblers around the 1930s. A 'James Forrest, Farmer' is acknowledged by StrawhornStrawhorn, John and Boyd, William (1951). The Third Statistical Account of Scotland. Ayrshire. Pub. P.879.] in his 'List of Helpers' for his account of the parish of Stewarton in 1951.
David Parker Forrest died on 11 January 1934 and is recorded on the impressive family memorial in Stewarton cemetery. The farm is marked on the 1858 OS with a milestone ( Irvine 5 3/4 miles and Stewarton 1 mile) opposite its entrance, but now buried (see 'The Turnpike'). Close to the farm in a field near the 'cut' in the main road, is a large depression with a mound of earth, which is said locally to be the site of a
meteoritestrike. The 1897 OS of 25 inches to the mile and other more recent OS maps show no pond or mound, backing up this belief. When new shed were being constructed circa 1950 a stone axe head was found, now preserved in the Dick InstituteForrest, Nancy (2006). Oral communication with Griffith, Roger S.Ll.] . A poem "The Bonnie Wood o' Lambroughton", written by Jim Forrest, is included in the 'Misc. Notes' section of this monograph.
West Lambroughton Farm
Aitken's 1829 map gives the name as both "South" and "West" Lamberton on different pages. The farm is not marked on the Pont's (1604) or Armstrong's (1775) map. The farm does not appear on Ainslie's 1821 map, however it does appears on Thomson's 1828 map, confusingly with Townhead of Lamb. next to it, probably in error, both lying on a lane which runs down to a ford across the river Annick at Bankend. John Allan and his wife Margaret Hunter lived here in the 19th century. John died, aged 67 in 1885 and was buried in Dreghorn Parish churchyard. In 1788 - 91 a smithy is recorded as having existed at the farm.
Lambroch Bridge, and the Garrier, Lochridge and Bracken Burns
*Bayne, John F. (1935). "Dunlop Parish - A History of Church, Parish, and Nobility." Pub. T.& A. Constable, Pps. 10–16.
*Davis, Michael C. (1991). "The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire." Pub. Spindrift Press, Ardrishaig, pps. 206 & 207.
*Hart-Davis, Duff (2002). "Fauna Britannica." ISBN 0-297-82532-1. P. 84
*Hill, D.O. (MDCCCXL). 1840. "The Land of Burns". Pub. Glasgow.
*Mackenzie, W.C. (1916). "The Races of Ireland and Scotland." Pub. Alexander Gardner. P. 301.
*Paterson, James (1847). "History of Ayr and a Genealogical Account of the Ayrshire Families. P.452.
*Robertson, William (1908). "Ayrshire. Its History and Historic Families". Vols. 1 & 2. Pub. Ayr.
*Rollie, James (1980). "The invasion of Ayrshire. A Background to the County Families." Pub. Famedram. P.83.
* [http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Researcher's_Guide_to_Local_History_Terminology A Researcher's Guide to Local History terminology]
* [http://www.futuremuseum.co.uk/ Details of the De Soulis, De Morville and other families.]
* [http://geo.nls.uk/roy/ General Roy's Military Survey map of Scotland.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.