- Treatment of warts by keratolysis
Keratolysis is the removal of dead surface skin cells and is a treatment for several types of
wart. The most common keratolytictreatment of warts available over-the-counter involve salicylic acid. These products are readily available at most drugstores and supermarkets. There are typically two types of products: adhesive pads treated with salicylic acid, or a bottle of concentrated salicylic acid. Removing a wart with this method requires a strict regimen of cleaning the area, applying the salicylic acid, and removing the dead skin with a pumice stoneor emery board. It may take up to 12 weeks to remove a stubborn wart.
Some formulations are:
* alcoholic solution containing glycerol
collodionwhich dries to a celluloid film / Duofilm
* simple ointment
* absorption ointment
* oil in water creamThe amount of salicylic acid reaching the wart varies substantially depending on the formulation usedref|Tsai1999.
Molecular basis of therapeutic effect
* Salicylic acid reaches warts; lactic acid and collodion do notref|Lawson1998. Therefore, these additional components have only an indirect role in therapy.
* The molecular structure of the skin is altered at the centre of the wartref|Lawson1998.
* Experiments indicated that salicylic acid bonding within the human papillomavirus-containing verruca tissue is more likely than simple acid dissociation upon dissolution in water within the tissueref|Lawson1998.
Some cases of allergic contact dermatitis have been observed when using collodion formulationsref|Lachapelle1990. This was found to be due to
colophonyin the collodion.
# J Drug Target. 1998;5(5):343-51. PMID 9771616
# Int J Pharm. 1999 Oct 25;188(2):145-53. PMID 10518670
# Dermatol Clin. 1990 Jan;8(1):143-6. PMID 2302853
* [http://www.drugs.com/cons/Duofilm.html List of brand names in US and Canada]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Plantar wart — Classification and external resources A plantar wart. Striae (fingerprints) go around the lesion. ICD 10 B07 ICD … Wikipedia
Keratolytic — (IPAEng|ˌkɛrətoʊˈlɪtɨk) therapy is treatment to remove warts and other lesions in which the epidermis produces excess skin. In this therapy, acid medicine, such as salicylic acid is put on the lesion. Keratolytic therapy thins the skin on and… … Wikipedia
Collodion — is a flammable, syrupy solution of pyroxylin (a.k.a. nitrocellulose , cellulose nitrate , flash paper , and gun cotton ) in ether and alcohol. There are two basic types; flexible and non flexible. The flexible type is often used as a surgical… … Wikipedia
Wart — For the Nintendo character, see Wart (Nintendo). For toad warts, see parotoid gland. Warts Classification and external resources Warts on the big toe ICD 10 B … Wikipedia
List of cutaneous conditions — This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries. See also: Cutaneous conditions, Category:Cutaneous conditions, and ICD 10… … Wikipedia