- Clifford Antone
Clifford Antone (born October 27, 1949, Port Arthur, Texas – died May 23, 2006, Austin, Texas) was the founder of a well-known Austin blues club, record label, and a mentor to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmie Vaughan and numerous other musicians.
Antone moved to Austin in 1968 and attended The University of Texas at Austin. An arrest for marijuana led to his dropping out of school. Nurturing a passion for Chicago blues, Antone started a blues club at age 25. The club, Antone's, became one of the first music venues on Austin's 6th Street and helped lead to Austin's reputation as a music city. Clifton Chenier, Fats Domino, John Lee Hooker, Delbert McClinton, Pinetop Perkins, Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Jimmy Reed, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, B.B. King and many other famous blues musicians have performed at Antone's in its more than 30-year history.
In 1987, Antone founded a recording label, Antone's Records and Tapes. He also opened Antone's Record Shop, a record store specializing in blues and roots music. Antone served time in federal prisons for drug charges in the early 1980s and in 2000. He lectured on social change and the history of the blues at The University of Texas, Austin Community College, and Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. On hearing of Antone's death, Austin Mayor Will Wynn was quoted as saying, "One of the primary reasons Austin is known as the Live Music Capital of the World is because of Clifford Antone."
- ^ "Antone: The man who gave Austin the blues"
- ^ Gray, Christopher (May 26, 2006). "Blues for Clifford". Austin Chronicle. http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2006-05-26/music_TCB_all.html. Retrieved May 25, 2006.
- Harward, Randy (May 23, 2006). "Blues Club Owner Clifford Antone Dead at 56". HARP Magazine. http://www.harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=10658. Retrieved May 25, 2006.
- "Clifford Antone, 56; Austin Blues Club Owner Helped Launch Career of Stevie Ray Vaughan". Los Angeles Times. May 25, 2006. http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-antone25may25,1,7645077.story. Retrieved May 30, 2006. [dead link]
- "Austin Club Owner Clifford Antone, 56". The Washington Post: p. B08. May 26, 2006. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501906.html. Retrieved May 30, 2006.
- Light, Alan (May 25, 2006). "Clifford Antone, 56; Started Texas Blues Club". The New York Times: p. C15. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/25/arts/25antone.html. Retrieved May 30, 2006.
- Celedon, Annalisa (June 1, 2006). "Clifford Antone: A Blues Legend Passes". The Daily Texan. http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2006/06/01/LifeArts/Clifford.Antone.A.Blues.Legend.Passes-2015360.shtml. Retrieved June 24, 2006.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Clifford — is both a given name and a surname of Old English origin that applies to a number of individuals or places. It simply means ford by a cliff . Clifford was a common surname mainly in the 18th century but lost its prominence over the years.… … Wikipedia
Johnny Moeller — Infobox musical artist | Background = non vocal instrumentalist | Instrument = Guitar Name = Johnny Moeller Born = Birth date and age|1970|10|31|mf=y Fort Worth, Texas, U.S. Genre = Blues, Texas Blues Associated acts = The Fabulous Thunderbirds… … Wikipedia
Sue Foley — Infobox Musical artist Name = Sue Foley Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Alias = Born = birth date and age|1968|3|29 Died = Origin = Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Instrument = Guitar Voice type = Genre = Blues… … Wikipedia
Music of Austin — The music of Austin, Texas, USA has gone beyond 6th Street and now includes other areas such as Red River, the University of Texas, the Warehouse District and Downtown, South Lamar, South Austin, East Austin and the Market District where bars and … Wikipedia
Mike Buck — For the football player, see Mike Buck (American football). Mike Buck Born June 17, 1952 (1952 06 17) (age 59) Austin, Texas, U.S. Genres Texas Blues, Rock n Roll … Wikipedia
Sue Foley — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Foley. Sue Foley Sue Foley au Hillside Festival, le 27 Juillet 2 … Wikipédia en Français
Couldn't Stand the Weather — Studio album by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Released May 15, 1984 ( … Wikipedia
Toni Price — (b. March 13, 1961, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a country blues singer songwriter and former resident of Austin, Texas. She currently resides in San Diego, CA.Her adoptive parents, the Prices, named her Luiese Esther after her grandmothers … Wikipedia
Come On (Earl King song) — This article is about the song done by Earl King in 1960. For other uses, see Let the Good Times Roll. Come On (Part I) Single by Earl King from the album Come On: The Complete Imperial Recordings B side Come On Part II … Wikipedia
Stuart Sullivan — (born March 13, 1960 in East Lansing, Michigan) is a record producer and recording engineer in Austin, Texas. He is founder, owner and engineer of Wire Recording in south central Austin where he has recorded and worked with an impressive list of… … Wikipedia