- Royal Numismatic Society
The Royal Numismatic Society is a learned society and charity based in London, United Kingdom which promotes research into all branches of numismatics. Its lectures and publications deal with classical, Asian, medieval and modern coins, paper money, tokens and medals.
It was founded in 1836 as the Numismatic Society of London and received the title of the Royal Numismatic Society from Edward VII by Royal Charter in 1904. Its present patron is HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Presidents of the RNS
- 1836-39 John Lee
- 1839-41 Edward Hawkins
- 1841-43 H.H. Wilson
- 1843-45 Lord Albert Conyngham
- 1845-47 H.H. Wilson
- 1847-49 W.D. Haggard
- 1849-51 Edward Hawkins
- 1851-55 The Lord Londesborough (Formerly Lord Albert Conyngham, President 1843-45)
- 1855-74 W.S.W. Vaux
- 1874-1908 Sir John Evans
- 1908-14 Sir Henry H. Howarth
- 1914-19 Sir Arthur Evans
- 1919-30 Sir Charles Oman
- 1930-35 Percy Webb
- 1935-36 Sir George MacDonald
- 1936-37 Percy Webb
- 1937-42 E.A. Sydenham
- 1942-48 Harold Mattingly
- 1948-53 C.H.V. Sutherland
- 1953-56 Michael Grant
- 1956-61 C.E. Blunt
- 1961-66 Philip Grierson
- 1966-70 D.F.Allen
- 1970-74 Colin M. Kraay
- 1974-79 R.A.G. Carson
- 1979-84 D.G. Sellwood
- 1984-89 J.P.C. Kent
- 1989-94 T.V. Buttrey
- 1994-99 D.M. Metcalf
- 1999-2004 H.B. Mattingly
- 2005-2009 Joe Cribb
- 2009-present Nicholas Mayhew
The Numismatic Chronicle is the annual publication of the Royal Numismatic Society. A decade index is published in every tenth volume, and the most recent decade index is on the Royal Numismatic Society website.
The RNS also publishes the series Coin Hoards.
The RNS also publishes Special Publications (SP). These include the following titles:
- SP12: P. Balog, Coinage of the Ayyubids, 1981.
- SP20: A.S. Robertson, An Inventory of Romano-British Coin Hoards IX, 2000.
- SP23: M. Archibald & M. Cowell (eds), Metallurgy in Numismatics III, 1993.
- SP24: D.J. Macdonald, The Coinage of Aphrodisias, 1992.
- SP25: R.T. Williams, The Silver Coinage of Velia, 1992.
- SP26: G.L. Duncan, Coin Circulation in the Balkan and Danubian Provinces, A.D. 294-578, 1993.
- SP30: W.A. Oddy & M. Cowell (eds), Metallurgy in Numismatics IV, 1998.
- SP31: N.J. Mayhew (ed.), The Gros Tournois, 1997.
- SP32: D.M. Metcalf, An Atlas of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Coin Finds, c. 973-1086, 1998.
- SP34: K. Butcher, Coinage in Roman Syria, 2004.
- SP36: R. Abdy, I. Leins & J. Williams (eds), Coin Hoards from Roman Britain XI, 2002.
- SP37: D. Hartill, Qing Cash, 2003.
- SP38: Y. Courtney, Public House Tokens in England and Wales c.1830-c.1920, 2004.
- SP39: H.M. Malek, The Dabuyid Ispahbads and Early 'Abbasid Governors of Tabaristan: History and Numismatics, 2004.
- SP40: K.A. Sheedy, The Archaic and early Classical Coinages of the Cyclades, 2006.
- SP41: W. Seaby & S.A.Ireland, A Catalogue of Ancient Coins in the Cabinet of Sir Rodger Newdigate of Arbury Hall, * Warwickshire: A Grand Tour Collection in the Warwickshire Museum.
- SP42: J.A.W., The Bronze Coinage of the Achaian Koinon, The Currency of a Federal Ideal.
- SP43: A. Johnston, Greek Imperial Denominations, ca 200-275: A study of the Roman Provincial Bronze Coinages of Asia Minor.
- SP44: J. Casey, A Catalogue of the Greek, Roman and Byzantine Coins in Sinop Museum (Turkey) and Related Historical and Numismatic Studies.
- SP45: R. Penhallurick (ed. by P. Guest and N. Wells), Ancient and Early Medieval Coins from Cornwall and Scilly.
- SP46: R. Bland and X. Loriot, Roman and Early Byzantine Gold Coins Found in Britain and Ireland.
- SP47: V.S. Curtis, M.E. Askari, E.J. Pendleton, R. Hodges, A-A. Safi, Sasanian Coins: A Sylloge of the Sasanian Coins in the National Museum of Iran (Muzeh Melli Iran), Tehran. Vol 1: Ardashir I - Hormizd IV.
Numismatics related associations NumismaticsAmerican Numismatic Association · American Numismatic Society · Armenian Numismatic Society · British Numismatic Trade Association · British Numismatic Society · Royal Canadian Numismatic Association · Canadian Paper Money Society · International Association of Professional Numismatists · Federation of European Numismatic Associations · Oriental Numismatic Society · Rochester Numismatic Association · Royal Numismatic Society · Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand · Ukrainian Numismatics Museum · Young Numismatists of America · The Postal Order Society (Great Britain) · Michigan State Numismatic Society Exonumia See alsoCurrency lists · Journals · Numismatists
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand — is a nonprofit group which seeks to encourage and promote the study of numismatics and other related historical subjects. It was founded in 1931 as New Zealand Numismatic Society and adopted its current name in 1947.It is based in Wellington, New … Wikipedia
Medaille der Royal Numismatic Society — Die Medaille der Royal Numismatic Society (Medal of the Royal Numismatic Society) ist einer der ehrenvollsten Auszeichnungen auf dem Gebiet der Numismatik. Sie wird seit 1883 von der 1836 gegründeten Royal Numismatic Society in London vergeben an … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fellow of the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand — The title of Fellow of the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand, FRNSNZ, is bestowed upon members as the highest honour that can be conferred by the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand. It is awarded for loyal and long service to the Royal … Wikipedia
Royal Charter — Die Geschichte der Royal Charter (Königliche Satzungen), vom britischen Souverän auf Anraten des Privy Council gewährt, reicht zurück bis ins 13. Jahrhundert. Diese Satzungen verleihen verfassten Körperschaften besonderen Status; sie wurden zum… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Royal Canadian Numismatic Association medals and awards — By 1954, a new trend was beginning to emerge for the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association as annual meetings evolved into annual conventions. Working with the Toronto Coin Club as host, the first such convention was held in Toronto in 1954. The… … Wikipedia
Numismatic terminology — This article is a collection of concise Numismatic and coin collecting terms for the beginner or professional. Numismatics (ancient Greek: polytonic|νομισματική) is the scientific study of money and its history in all its varied forms. While… … Wikipedia
Royal Canadian Mint numismatic coins (20th century) — One of the most highly profitable aspects of the Royal Canadian Mint’s enterprise is in its Numismatic product line. One[who?] could argue that the first Numismatic coin from RCM was the 1935 dollar to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of His… … Wikipedia
Royal Maundy — A Royal Maundy ceremony in 1867 Royal Maundy ( … Wikipedia
List of organisations with a British royal charter — is an incomplete list of organisations based both on in and over the United Kingdom and throughout the world, in chronological order, that have received a royal charter from an English, Scottish, or British monarch.: See also List organisations… … Wikipedia
List of organisations in the United Kingdom with a royal charter — List organisations in the United Kingdom with a royal charter is an incomplete list of organisations based in the United Kingdom that have received a royal charter from an English, Scottish, or British monarch.: See also List of organisations… … Wikipedia