- City of Wyndham
City of Wyndham
Location of City of Wyndham within Melbourne.
Population: 143,879(2009) Established: 1862 Area: 541.6 km² (209.1 sq mi) Mayor: John Menegazzo Council Seat: Werribee County: Bourke, Grant State District: Lara, Tarneit, Altona Federal Division: Lalor LGAs around City of Wyndham: Moorabool Melton Brimbank Geelong City of Wyndham Hobsons Bay Geelong Port Phillip Port Phillip
The City of Wyndham is a Local Government Area in Victoria, Australia, located in the outer south-western suburbs of Melbourne, between Melbourne and the regional city of Geelong. It has an area of 542 square kilometres (209 sq mi) and at the 2006 Census Wyndham had a population of 112,695.
The Wyndham District was first incorporated as a local government entity on 6 October 1862. Under changes made to local government legislation, it became the Shire of Wyndham on 7 March 1864 and was renamed the Shire of Werribee on 15 December 1909.
With an initial size of 715 square kilometres (276 sq mi) and being largely rural in character, the shire ceded land to metropolitan Melbourne as suburban development encroached. On 6 January 1922 and 5 February 1941, the City of Footscray annexed two parcels of land totalling about 700 hectares. On 20 February 1957, the Altona Riding of the Shire of Werribee was severed and incorporated as the Shire of Altona, which became a City eleven years later. After this, the boundaries remained fairly stable, and on 20 March 1987 Werribee was proclaimed a City.
On 15 December 1994, during major restructuring of Victoria's local governments, Werribee changed less than most - losing only some rural land around Exford in its north to the Shire of Melton, and Laverton Reserve on its eastern boundary to the City of Hobsons Bay. After 85 years of being known as Werribee, the area's former name of Wyndham was restored.
In June 2010 the council unveiled a new logo, to be phased in over three months at a cost of $35,000.
The city is home to numerous new housing estates in suburbs such as Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes. The following table presents data from official census and other publications by the Australian Bureau of Statistics:
Year Population Growth rate (%) 1871 1,476 1933 7,853 1954 9,414# 1958 10,520* 2.82 1961 13,629 9.01 1966 18,369 6.15 1971 25,116 6.46 1976 31,790 4.83 1981 40,555 4.99 1986 52,458 5.28 1991 60,563 2.92 1996 73,691 4.00 2001 84,861 2.86 2006 112,695 5.84
* Estimates in 1958, 1983 and 1988 Victorian Year Books.
# Excludes Altona Shire which was severed in 1957. Source: 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Chaffey. Councillors; Cr Marcel Mahfoud, Cr Shane Bourke, Cr Adele De Crecsenzo
- Iramoo. Councillors; Cr Cynthia Manson, Cr Heather Marcus, Cr John Menegazzo(Mayor)
- Truganina. Councillors; Cr Bob Fairclough(Deputy Mayor), Cr Kim McAliney, Cr Glenn Goodfellow
- Eynesbury (shared with Shire of Melton)
- Hoppers Crossing
- Laverton (shared with City of Hobsons Bay)
- Laverton North
- Little River (shared with City of Greater Geelong)
- Mount Cottrell (shared with Shire of Melton)
- Point Cook
- Truganina (shared with Shire of Melton)
- Werribee South
- Williams Landing
- Wyndham Vale
- List of Melbourne suburbs
- Wyndham Library Service
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3218.0Main%20Features52008-09?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3218.0&issue=2008-09&num=&view=. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- ^ a b Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 282, 524–525. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995) (PDF). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification. Commonwealth of Australia. p. 7. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/0/76E601D6DB55E88ACA25722500049195/$File/12570_1994-95.pdf. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- ^ Kellie Cameron (June 1, 2010). "Sails set for Wyndham’s growth". Wyndham Leader. wyndham-leader.whereilive.com.au. http://wyndham-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/sails-set-for-city-growth/. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
Suburbs of the City of Wyndham | Melbourne | Victoria Local Government Areas of Victoria Greater MelbourneInner MelbourneMetropolitanOuter Metropolitan Southwest Central Highlands and Goldfields Goulburn Valley Northeast Gippsland Western District Wimmera The Mallee
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
City of Wyndham — Lage von Wyndham City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Werribee Fläche: 540 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wyndham City — City of Wyndham Lage von Wyndham City in Melbourne Gliederung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Panama City Beach — (Панама Сити Бич,США) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес … Каталог отелей
City of Hobsons Bay — Victoria Location within Melbourne metropolitan area Population: 87,486(2009) … Wikipedia
Wyndham — can refer to:The Wyndham familyThe Wyndham family are descended from Sir John Wyndham (1443 1503) and his wife Margaret (1443 1524) daughter of John Howard, Duke of Norfolk, a direct descendant of Edward I. Succeeding generations have played an… … Wikipedia
Wyndham Garden Obregon — (Ciudad Obregón,Мексика) Категория отеля: 4 звездочный отель Адрес: Miguel Al … Каталог отелей
City of Banyule — Lage der Banyule City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Ivanhoe Fläche: 63 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Bayside — Lage von Bayside City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Sandringham Fläche: 37 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Boroondara — Lage von Boroondara City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Camberwell Fläche … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Brimbank — Lage von Brimbank City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Sunshine Fläche: 123 … Deutsch Wikipedia