Steglitz


Steglitz

Steglitz is a locality of the Steglitz-Zehlendorf borough in the south-west of Berlin, the capital of Germany. The locality also includes the neighbourhood of "Südende".

History

While one Knight Henricus of Steglitz was already mentioned in a 1197 deed, the village of Steglitz was first mentioned in the 1375 "Landbuch" of Emperor Charles IV, at this time also ruler of the Brandenburg Electorate.

Steglitz witnessed the construction of the first paved Prussian country road, in 1792. The former village profited largely from its location on the Imperial Highway "Reichsstraße 1", today "Bundesstraße 1", which follows a trading route that dates back to the Middle Ages. The old "Reichsstraße" used to stretch from the far West of Germany through Aachen and Cologne to Berlin, then went on eastward to end some two hundred miles northeast of Königsberg in East Prussia. The village of Steglitz also received an economic boost with the construction of the "Stammbahn" line of the Prussian state railways in 1838, which ran between Berlin and Potsdam. The Steglitz area was included in the southern line of Berlin's rail and transit systems from around 1850.

The southwestern surroundings of Berlin saw considerable change in the second half of the 19th century when luxurious residential areas were developed in the neighbouring villages of Lichterfelde and later Dahlem. Lichterfelde West and East, founded by the entrepreneur Johann von Carstenn were developed as so called "Villekolonien", settlements entirely made up of mansion houses or villas. In the east the settlement of "Südende" (South End) was founded in 1873. In Steglitz proper a major shopping area developed around the "Schlosstrasse", catering also for the wealthy villages of Lichterfelde and Dahlem. In 1901 the first Wandervogel youth group was founded in the basement of the Steglitz town hall.

Steglitz was incorporated into the city of Greater Berlin in 1920 together with the neighbouring villages. From 1920 to 2000 the administrative district IX was called "Bezirk" Steglitz. In Berlin's 2001 administrative reform the Berlin southwestern area was united in the newly created borough of Steglitz-Zehlendorf, with its expensive residential developments today the most affluent of the twelve Berlin boroughs.

Points of interest

*Gutshaus Steglitz (Steglitz Manor), a Neoclassical building designed by David Gilly in 1801, which since 1921 housed the small "Schlossparktheater", one of the former Berlin state theatres, that nevertheless finally closed in 2006 [http://www.suedwestweb-berlin.de/struktur/b_indiv/steglitz_gutshaus_02.jpg]
*The Schlossstrasse, the second largest shopping area in Berlin after Kurfürstendamm and Tauentzienstraße, including "Forum Steglitz", one of Germany's first shopping malls opened in 1970
*Neo-Gothic Steglitz town hall, erected in 1898 [http://www.berlin.de/ba-steglitz-zehlendorf/rathaus_stg.jpg]
*Lutheran "Matthäuskirche", built in 1880
*Catholic Rosary church from 1900, which received the title of a basilica in 1950
*The notorious "Steglitzer Kreisel", a 119 m (390 ft) highrise erected between 1968 and 1980. Before the construction was finished the developing company became insolvent in 1974, leaving a ruin in Steglitz' centre until the works were resumed in 1977. To avoid further vacancy the borough's administration moved in, but had to leave the building in 2007 due to a contamination with asbestos. The building includes the Berlin U-Bahn station Rathaus Steglitz, a bus station and a multi-storey car park
*The "Bierpinsel" ("Beer Brush"), a tavern in a tower on Schlossstraße with an interesting architectural style built in 1976
* Villenkolonie Lichterfelde West, historical district of 19th century mansion houses and cobbled streets in the adjacent Lichterfelde district
*"Titania-Palast", a large cinema erected in 1928 in New Objectivity style. On May 26, 1945 it was the site of the first concert of the Berlin Philharmonic orchestra after World War II. On June 6, 1951 it saw the opening ceremony of the first Berlin International Film Festival
*The "Fichtenberg" hill, highest point in Steglitz, 68 m (223 ft).

Transportation

Steglitz is served by the Berlin S-Bahn line S1 at the stations Feuerbachstraße and Rathaus Steglitz as well as by the S25 at "Südende". U-Bahn connection to the inner city is provided by the U9 line with the stations Walther-Schreiber-Platz, Schloßstraße and Rathaus Steglitz.


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Steglitz — Localisation du quartier au sein de l arrondissement Steglitz est un quartier de Berlin, faisant partie de l arrondissement de Steglitz Zehlendorf. Jusqu à la réforme de l administration de 2001, il constituait un ancien district réunissant des… …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Steglitz — Steglitz,   Stadtbezirk im Süden von Berlin, 32,0 km2, 191 200 Einwohner, mit den Ortsteilen Steglitz (hervorgegangen aus dem Dorf Steglitz, eine Gründung aus dem 13. Jahrhundert), Südende, Lankwitz und Lichterfelde. Steglitz hatte dank seiner… …   Universal-Lexikon

  • Steglitz — bezeichnet: den Ortsteil Steglitz in Berlin (seit 1920, davor preußische Gemeinde) den Bezirk Steglitz in Berlin, bestand von 1920 bis 2001, aufgegangen im neuen Bezirk Steglitz Zehlendorf Siehe auch: Stegelitz …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Steglitz — Steglitz, Dorf im Kreise Teltow des Regierungsbezirks Potsdam (preuß. Provinz Brandenburg), an der Berlin Potsdamer Eisenbahn; Musterlandwirthschaft u. Seidenraupenzucht; 650 Ew …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Steglitz — Steglitz, Vorort im SW. von Berlin, im preuß Regbez. Potsdam, Kreis Teltow, am Teltowkanal, an den Staatsbahnlinien Berlin Werder (Hauptbahn) und Berlin Potsdam (Wannseebahn) sowie durch mehrere Straßenbahnlinien mit Berlin, Südende und… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Steglitz — Steglitz, Landgemeinde im preuß. Reg. Bez. Potsdam, südl. von Berlin [Karte: Deutsches Reich I, 3], (1900) 21.425 (1905: 32.831) E., Gymnasium, Realschule, Friedrichsstift für arme Soldatenkinder, Blindenanstalt, Feierabendhaus für Lehrerinnen,… …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Steglitz-Zehlendorf — Localisation du 6e arrondissement sur une carte de Berlin …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Steglitz-Zehlendorf — is the sixth borough of Berlin, formed in Berlin s 2001 administrative reform by merging the former boroughs of Steglitz and Zehlendorf.LocalitiesThe Steglitz Zehlendorf borough consists of seven localities: *Steglitz *Lichterfelde *Lankwitz… …   Wikipedia

  • Steglitz-Zehlendorf — Bezirk von Berlin …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Steglitz Bezirk — Original name in latin Steglitz Name in other language Berlin Steglitz, Shteglic, Штеглиц State code DE Continent/City Europe/Berlin longitude 52.45606 latitude 13.332 altitude 51 Population 72464 Date 2013 03 06 …   Cities with a population over 1000 database


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.