- Windows System Assessment Tool
The Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT) is a module of
Microsoft Windows Vistawhich measures various performance characteristics and capabilities of the hardware it is running on and reports them as a Windows Experience Index(WEI) score, a number between 1.0 and 5.9. The WEI is due to increase its maximum score with future updates. The WEI includes five subscores: processor, memory, 2D graphics, 3D graphics, and disk; the basescore is equal to the lowest of the subscores.
The WEI allows users to match their computer hardware performance with the performance requirements of software. For example, the Aero
graphical user interfacerecommends a WEI score of 3 or higher for satisfactory use of the "Aero Glass" feature. The WEI can also be used to show which part of a system will provide the greatest increase in performance when upgraded. For example a computer with the lowest subscore being its memory, would benefit more from a RAM increase than adding a faster hard drive (or any other component).
Microsoft intends that software publishers list WEI scores to specify hardware requirements instead of specific technical parameters (such as "256MB of RAM or more"). Microsoft also intends that hardware manufacturers publish the WEI scores of their computers. However, few software or hardware vendors have done so to date.
The WEI is also available to applications through an
API, so they can configure themselves as a function of hardware performance, taking advantage of its capabilities without becoming unacceptably slow.
The current version of Windows Vista (Build 6001) version of WinSAT performs the following tests:
While running, the tests show only a progress bar and a "working" background animation. Aero Glass is deactivated while the tests are running so that it will not confound the measurements.
* [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/experienceindex.mspx Windows Vista: Windows Experience Index]
* [http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/vista/winsat.mspx TechNet: Script Center: The System Assessment Tool]
* [http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/09/22/windows-experience-index-an-in-depth-look.aspx Vista Team Blog : Windows Experience Index: An In-Depth Look]
* [http://minpaso.goga.co.jp/ Minpaso : collects the results of the performance evaluation of Windows experience index (WEI)]
* [http://www.shareyourscore.com/ Share Your Score]
* [http://windowsscores.com Scores for notebooks]
* [http://www.drivermax.com/driver/vista-rating/index_video.php Video cards ordered by their Windows Experience Index (WEI), with search]
* [http://www.drivermax.com/driver/vista-rating/index_cpu.php CPUs ordered by their Windows Experience Index (WEI), with search]
* [http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms737395.aspx WinSAT API]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Windows System Assessment Tool — Fichier:Windows Vista Experience Index.PNG Windows Experience Index in Windows Vista Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT) est le nom de code pour le système d optimisation automatique de Microsoft Windows Vista et de Microsoft Windows 7. Voir… … Wikipédia en Français
Windows Vista — Part of the Microsoft Windows family … Wikipedia
Windows XP — Windows Experience redirects here. For Windows Experience Index, see Windows System Assessment Tool. Windows XP Part of the Microsoft Windows family … Wikipedia
Windows Aero — Aero Windows Aero es la nueva interfaz gráfica incluida en Windows Vista y Windows 7 que sustituye a la Interfaz gráfica Luna utilizada en Windows XP. Aero apareció en las versiones finales el 31 de enero de 2007, día en el que fue lanzada la… … Wikipedia Español
Windows 2000 — Part of the Microsoft Windows family Screenshot of Windows 2000 Professional … Wikipedia
Windows Server 2008 — Part of the Microsoft Windows family … Wikipedia
System Architect (software) — Infobox Software caption = System Architect with BPMN and Network Diagrams Open and Browsed name = System Architect developer = Telelogic, An IBM Company latest release version = Version 11.1 with SP1 latest release date = Released Sept 25 2008… … Wikipedia
Management features new to Windows Vista — This article is part of a series on Windows Vista New features Overview Technical and core system Security and safety Networking technologies I/O technologies Management and administration Removed features … Wikipedia
List of Microsoft Windows components — The following is a list of Microsoft Windows components. Contents 1 Configuration and maintenance 2 User interface 3 Applications and utilities 4 Windows Server components … Wikipedia
Electronic meeting system — An electronic meeting system (EMS) is a type of computer software that facilitates creative problem solving and decision making of groups within or across organizations. The term was coined by Jay Nunamaker et al. in 1991. The term is synonymous… … Wikipedia