- 153 (number)
153 Ordinal 153 Cardinal 153rd Factorization Divisors 1, 3, 9, 17, 51, 153 Roman numeral CLIII Binary 10011001 Octal 231 Hexadecimal 99
The number 153 is also a hexagonal number, and a truncated triangle number, meaning that 1, 15, and 153 are all triangle numbers.
The distinct prime factors of 153 add up to 20, and so do the ones of 154, hence the two form a Ruth-Aaron pair.
Since 153 = 13 + 53 + 33, it is a 3-narcissistic number, and it is also the smallest number which can be expressed as the sum of cubes of its digits. It is also a Friedman number, since 153 = 3 × 51, and a Harshad number in base 10, being divisible by the sum of its own digits.
The Biggs–Smith graph is a symmetric graph with 153 edges, all equivalent.
- Take a random positive integer, divisible by three.
- Split that number into its base 10 digits.
- Take the sum of their cubes.
- Go back to the second step.
An example, starting with the number 84:
In the Bible
The precision of the number of fish in this narrative has long been considered peculiar, and many scholars, throughout history, have argued that 153 has some deeper significance. Jerome, for example, wrote that Oppian's Halieutica listed 153 species of fish, although this could not have been the intended meaning of the Gospel writer because Oppian composed Halieutica after the Gospel text was written, and at any rate never gave a list of fish species that clearly adds up to 153. It has also been noted that the Tetragrammaton occurs 153 times in the Book of Genesis.
Augustine of Hippo argued that the significance lay in the fact that 153 is the sum of the first 17 integers (i.e. 153 is the 17th triangular number), with 17 representing the combination of divine grace (the 7 gifts of the Spirit) and law (the Ten Commandments). Theologian D. A. Carson discusses this and other interpretations and concludes that "If the Evangelist has some symbolism in mind connected with the number 153, he has hidden it well," while other scholars note "No symbolic significance for the number of 153 fish in John 21:11 has received widespread support."
Writers claiming a major role for Mary Magdalene have noted that in Greek isopsephy her epithet "η Μαγδαληνή" bears the number 8 + 40 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 30 + 8 + 50 + 8 = 153, thus, it is suggested, revealing her importance. Similarly, the phrase "τὸ δίκτυον" (the net) used in the passage bears the number 1224 = 8 × 153, as do some other phrases. The significance of this is unclear, given that Koine Greek provides a choice of several noun endings with different isopsephy values. The number 153 has also been related to the vesica piscis, with the claim that Archimedes used 153 as a "shorthand or abbreviation" for the square root of 3 in his On the Measurement of the Circle. However, examination of that work does not find the number 153 used in that way.
Evagrius Ponticus referred to the catch of 153 fish, as well as to the mathematical properties of the number (153 = 100 + 28 + 25, with 100 a square number, 28 a triangular number and 25 a circular number) when describing his 153-chapter work on prayer. Louis de Montfort, in his fifth method of saying the Rosary, connects the catch of 153 fish with the number of Hail Marys said (3 plus 15 sets of 10), while St Paul's School in London was founded in 1512 by John Colet to teach 153 poor men's children, also in reference to the catch.
In the military
- HMAS Stuart (FFH 153) is an Anzac class frigate of the Royal Australian Navy
- HMAS Whyalla (J153) was a Bathurst class corvette of the Royal Australian Navy during World War II
- JDS Yūgiri (DD-153) is an Asagiri class destroyer of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force
- USNS Cumberland (T-AO-153) was a United States Navy auxiliary ship during the Vietnam War
- USS Asphalt (IX-153) was a United States Navy Trefoil class concrete barge during World War II
- USS Bernadou (DD-153) was a United States Navy Wickes class destroyer during World War II
- USS Buoyant (AM-153) was a United States Navy Admirable minesweeper ship during World War II
- USS Compass Island (AG-153) was a United States Navy naval fighting ship during World War II
- USS General R. M. Blatchford (AP-153) was a United States Navy General G. O. Squier transport ship during World War II
- USS Laurens (APA-153) was a United States Navy Haskell class attack transport during World War II
- USS Reuben James (DE-153) was a United States Navy Buckley class destroyer escort during World War II
- USS S-42 (SS-153) was a United States Navy S-class submarine during World War II
- The 153d Airlift Wing is a unit of the United States Air Force, located at Cheyenne Regional Airport, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
- The 153d Air Refueling Squadron is a unit of the Mississippi Air National Guard, flying the KC-135 Stratotanker
- The 153rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War
- Arizona State Route 153 was a state highway in Maricopa County in Phoenix, Arizona
- Connecticut Route 153 runs from Westbrook to Essex
- K-153, part of a western bypass in McPherson, Kansas
- M-153, also known as Ford Road, is a state highway route that runs from Ann Arbor to Detroit in Michigan
- Missouri Route 153 runs from U.S. Route 60 Kennett
- New York State Route 153 runs from Penfield to Perinton
- Ohio State Route 153 runs from Canton to Homeworth
- Oklahoma State Highway 153 in Love County
- Oregon Route 153 runs from Bellevue to Hopewell
- Virginia Route 153 runs from U.S. Route 460 to U.S. Route 360
- Wisconsin Highway 153 runs from Spencer to Tigerton
- Quebec Route 153 runs from Yamachiche to Lac-aux-Sables
- Route 153 in Prince County, Prince Edward Island, Canada runs between Tignish and Alberton
- National Route 153 is a national highway of Japan connecting Higashi-ku, Nagoya and Shiojiri, Nagano in Japan
- Malaysia Federal Route 153
- British Rail Class 153 is a single-car diesel multiple unit train
- Caledonian Airways Flight 153 from Douala International Airport, Douala, Cameroon crashed on March 4, 1962
- The Peugeot Type 153 car, produced between 1913 and 1925
- Yemenia Flight 626 Carrying 153 passengers crashes in Indian Ocean on Monday, June 29, 2009
- 153rd Street station on Metra's SouthWest Service in Orland Park, Illinois
- Australian rules footballer Scott Hodges had a SANFL season goal kicking record of 153 in 1990
- NFL quarterback Roger Staubach threw 153 touchdowns in his career from 1956–1971
- The Los Angeles Dodgers hit 153 home runs in 2006
In radio and TV
- The frequency of the longwave transmitters Donebach, Ingøy, Braşov, and Kenadsa is 153 kHz
- Channel 153 on Sirius Satellite Radio is Atlanta/Miami traffic and weather
- Channel 153 on XM Radio is Laugh Attack, Comedy Uncensored
- The TV series Ben Casey ran on ABC from 1961 to 1966 with 153 episodes
- The TV series Hunter ran on NBC from 1984 to 1991 with 153 episodes
- The TV series Gilmore Girls ran on the WB Network from 2000 to 2007 with 153 episodes
- Channel 153 on the Dish Network is the Outdoor Channel
In other fields
153 is also:
- The year AD 153 or 153 BC
- The year 153 AH in the Islamic calendar that corresponds to 769 – 770 CE
- The code for malignant neoplasm of the colon in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems
- The code for "mental processes & intelligence" in the Dewey Decimal Classification
- A reference to a comet (153P/Ikeya-Zhang) discovered in 2002
- A reference to a large asteroid with a dark surface (153 Hilda) in the outer Main belt
- The total number of days in any five consecutive months in the Gregorian calendar which do not include February (for example: March (31), April (30), May (31), June (30), and July (31) total 153 days)
- The original price, in US Dollars, of the diet pill Leptoprin, marketed by the slogan "When is a diet pill worth $153 a bottle?"
- The ordinal number of the coat of arms of Komi Republic in the State Heraldic Register of the Russian Federation
- The number of combined Arabic and Persian Hidden Words in the Bahá'í Faith.
- The atomic number of an element temporarily called Unpenttrium
- A sonnet by William Shakespeare
- The U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics' world area code for Nicaragua
- The number of aphorisms outlined by Chr. Pack in 153 Chymical Aphorisms
- Article 153 of the Constitution of Malaysia
- Gregg v. Georgia, 428 U.S. 153 (1976)
- List of highways numbered 153
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 153
- United States Supreme Court cases, Volume 153
- ^ Wells, D. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers London: Penguin Group. (1987): 140–141.
- ^ Gupta, Shayam Sunder. "Curious Properties of 153". http://www.shyamsundergupta.com/c153.htm. Retrieved 2009-06-26.
- ^ a b Catch of the Day (153 Fishes) at mathpages.com.
- ^ OEIS:A165330
- ^ Biblegateway John 21:1–14
- ^ Grant, Robert McQueen (1999). Early Christians and Animals. Routledge. p. 23. ISBN 0-415-20204-3.
- ^ Grant, Robert M. (October 1949). "One Hundred Fifty-Three Large Fish (John 21:11)". Harvard Theological Review 42 (4): 273–275. JSTOR 1508507.
- ^ Jewish Encyclopedia: TETRAGRAMMATON.
- ^ Jason Byassee, Praise Seeking Understanding: Reading the Psalms with Augustine, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2007, p. 130, ISBN 0-8028-4012-4.
- ^ John E. Rotelle (ed) and Edmund Hill (tr), The works of Saint Augustine: A Translation for the 21st Century, Part 3, Volume 7 (Sermons: On the Liturgical Seasons), p. 112, ISBN 1-56548-059-7.
- ^ D. A. Carson, The Gospel According to John (Pillar Commentaries Series), Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1991, p. 673, ISBN 0-85111-749-X.
- ^ Leland Ryken, Jim Wilhoit, Tremper Longman, Colin Duriez, Douglas Penney, and Daniel G. Reid, Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (Fish), InterVarsity Press, 1998, p. 290, ISBN 0-8308-1451-5.
- ^ a b c Margaret Starbird, Magdalene's Lost Legacy: Symbolic Numbers and the Sacred Union in Christianity, Inner Traditions / Bear & Company, 2003, pages 49 and 139, ISBN 1-59143-012-7.
- ^ J.W. Wenham, The Elements of New Testament Greek, Cambridge University Press, 1965.
- ^ For example, ἰχθύς (fish) has isopsephy values of 1219, 1069, 1289, 1029, 1224, 1220, 1869, 1229, and 1279 with the different noun endings on p. 124 of Wenham, and a further range of possibilities when the definite article is added.
- ^ Heath, Thomas Little (1897), The Works of Archimedes, Cambridge University, pp. lxxvii ; 50, http://www.archive.org/details/worksofarchimede029517mbp, retrieved 2010-01-30
- ^ William Harmless, Desert Christians: An Introduction to the Literature of Early Monasticism, Oxford University Press, 2004, pp. 320–341, ISBN 0-19-516222-6.
- ^ Montfort.org.uk, "its fruitfulness as shown in the net that St. Peter by order of Our Lord threw into the sea and which though filled with 153 fish did not break."
- ^ Peter Cunningham, Modern London; or, London as it is, 1851, p. 193.
- ^ Antonen, Mel (2007-03-08). "Small ball is the secret in Dodgerland". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/dodgers/2007-03-07-small-ball_N.htm. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- ^ Table of transmission frequencies
- ^ World-airport-coedes.com
- ^ 153 Chymical Aphorisms.
- The Number 153 at The Database of Number Correlations
- Curious Properties of 153 by Shyam Sunder Gupta
- The 153 Club for Sahara Desert Travellers
- Experimental Aircraft Association, Chapter 153, Schaumburg, Illinois
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 153
- Musicians Union Local 153
- The 153 Project
- Meaning of Numbers in the Bible: Number 153
- London Bus Route 153
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Number 12 B&B — (Брисбен,Австралия) Категория отеля: 4,5 звезд Адрес: 12 Malcolm Street, Hawthorne, 41 … Каталог отелей
number symbolism — Introduction cultural associations, including religious, philosophic, and aesthetic, with various numbers. Humanity has had a love hate relationship with numbers from the earliest times. Bones dating from perhaps 30,000 years ago show … Universalium
number game — Introduction any of various puzzles and games that involve aspects of mathematics. Mathematical recreations comprise puzzles and games that vary from naive amusements to sophisticated problems, some of which have never been solved.… … Universalium
Number Seven, Queer Street — For the London street and expression, see Queer Street (London). Number Seven, Queer Street … Wikipedia
British Rail Class 153 — Super Sprinter East Midlands Trains 153374 at Lincoln … Wikipedia
Wikipedia:List of Wikipedians by number of edits — Shortcuts: WP:NOE WP:WBE WP:EDITS WP:MOSTEDITS This is a list of Wikipedians ordered by number of edits in the English language Wikipedia. Edits in all namespaces are counted; deleted edits have been included in recent versions. Click… … Wikipedia
Polikarpov I-153 — infobox Aircraft name =I 153 type =Fighter manufacturer =Polikarpov caption = designer =Nikolai Nikolaevich Polikarpov first flight =1938 introduced =1939 retired = status = primary user =Soviet Air Force more users = produced =1939 1941 number… … Wikipedia
Article 153 of the Constitution of Malaysia — grants the Yang di Pertuan Agong (King of Malaysia) responsibility for safeguarding the special position of the Malay and other indigenous peoples of Malaysia, collectively referred to as Bumiputra and also the legitimate interests of the other… … Wikipedia
Narcissistic number — In recreational number theory, a narcissistic number (also known as a pluperfect digital invariant (PPDI), an Armstrong number (after Michael F. Armstrong) or a plus perfect number) … Wikipedia
New York State Route 153 — This article is about the current alignment of NY 153. For previous alignments of NY 153, see New York State Route 153 (disambiguation). NYS Route 153 Map of the … Wikipedia