- Downtown Hudson Tubes
Downtown Hudson Tubes 1909 illustration of flying junction of Uptown Hudson Tubes in Jersey City which connect to Downtown tubes to the south Overview Location Hudson River Coordinates Coordinates: System PATH Start World Trade Center End Exchange Place Operation Opened July 19, 1909 Technical Construction 1874-1908 Length 5,650 ft (1,720 m) Gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) Electrified Third rail Lowest elevation 97 ft (30 m) below sea level Tunnel clearance 15.25 ft (4.65 m)
The Downtown Hudson Tubes are a pair of tunnels that carry PATH trains under the Hudson River between New York City and Jersey City in the United States. In lower Manhattan the trains travel to and from the World Trade Center station. In Jersey City the trains stop at the Exchange Place station. The tunnels were the second non-waterborne connection between Manhattan and New Jersey and were completed shortly after the uptown Hudson tubes.
The original tubes were built in 1908, to service the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad's Hudson Terminal in lower Manhattan starting on July 19, 1909. When the World Trade Center was constructed, the original Hudson Tubes remained in service as elevated tunnels until 1970 when a new PATH station was built. The downtown and uptown Hudson tubes were declared National Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks in 1978 by the American Society of Civil Engineers. Some remnants of the tunnels under the original World Trade Center were removed during 2007 and 2008.
- Uptown Hudson Tubes
- Timeline of Jersey City area railroads
- List of fixed crossings of the North River (Hudson River)
- List of bridges, tunnels, and cuts in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Construction of the World Trade Center
- Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse
- North River Tunnels
- ^ a b c Fitzherbert, Anthony (June, 1964). ""The Public Be Pleased": William G. McAdoo and the Hudson Tubes". Electric Railroaders Association, nycsubway.org. http://world.nycsubway.org/us/path/hmhistory.html. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- ^ Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "PATH:History". http://www.panynj.gov/path/history.html. Retrieved 2010-01-19.
- ^ Carroll, Maurice (December 30, 1968). "A Section of the Hudson Tubes is Turned into Elevated Tunnel". The New York Times.
- ^ "History and Heritage of Civil Engineering: Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Tunnel". American Society of Civil Engineers. http://live.asce.org/hh/index.mxml?lid=166. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- ^ Dunlap, David W. (October 26, 2008). "Another Ghost From Ground Zero’s Past Fades Away". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/nyregion/27tunnel.html?_r=2&em&oref=slogin.
- Burr, S.D.V. (1885). Tunneling Under The Hudson River: Being a description of the obstacles encountered, the experience gained, the success achieved, and the plans finally adopted for rapid and economical prosecution of the work. New York: John Wiley and Sons. http://www.tmk.com/books/tunnel/tunnel.shtml. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
Crossings of the Hudson River Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) ServicesHOB–33 · HOB–WTC · JSQ–33 · JSQ–33 (via HOB) · NWK–WTC Stations InfrastructureDowntown Hudson Tubes · Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse · Uptown Hudson Tubes Miscellaneous
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hudson County, New Jersey — Infobox U.S. County county = Hudson County state = New Jersey map size = 100 founded = 1840 seat = Jersey City largest city = Jersey City | area total km2 = 162 area total sq mi = 62 area land km2 = 121 area land sq mi = 47 area water km2 = 41 |… … Wikipedia
Hudson River — Coordinates: 40°42′11″N 74°01′36″W / 40.70306°N 74.02667°W / 40.70306; 74.02667 … Wikipedia
Port Authority Trans-Hudson — Coordinates: 40°43′52.74″N 74°3′33.59″W / 40.7313167°N 74.0593306°W / 40.7313167; 74.0593306 … Wikipedia
North River (Hudson River) — North River in red, if defined as portion between New Jersey and Manhattan … Wikipedia
World Trade Center (PATH station) — Infobox Station name=World Trade Center image size= image caption=New PATH station entrance that opened in April 2008 address=World Trade Center New York, NY line=rail color box|system=PATH|line=NWK WTCrail color box|system=PATH|line=HOB WTC… … Wikipedia
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey — Formation 1921 Type Port district Headquarters Corporate Headquarters … Wikipedia
Bridges and tunnels in New York City — J train on the Williamsburg Bridge New York City s harbor and multiple waterways are what once made it the center of trade, but today they make it a city of bridges and tunnels. Over 2,000 of them provide uninterrupted vehicular movement… … Wikipedia
Mannados — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: New York Verwaltungssitz: Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: Gründung: 1624 … Deutsch Wikipedia
New York County — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: New York Verwaltungssitz: Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: Gründung: 1624 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Manhattan — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: New York Verwaltungssitz: Gründung: 1624 Demographie Einwohner: 1.634.795 (2008) … Deutsch Wikipedia