- Old Hay Brook
Coordinates: The Old Hay Brook is a stream in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Near Totley Grange the streams joins Needham's Dyke, which flowed from within the Grange estate, joins the Brook under one of the many footpaths in the neighbouring woods.
There were a total of four dams, mills and wheels on the Old Hay Brook.
- Totley Forge. A paper mill was on the site in the XVIIth century, then in 1839 was converted into a scythe forge and continued working until 1891 when Joseph Tyzack converted the premices into a farm. Visible remains are the stone-overflow shuttle from the upper dam, the lower dam and a channel which fed water from the wheel back into a stream.
- The tilt shop and buildings were rebuilt as barns in 1901 and have since been restored as stables.
- Old Hay was used by 1585 as a lead smelting mill and ended in 1805. Shortly before 1830 a drinding wheel to make swas was up and running. The site closed in 1895. The wheel buildings have been replaced by a wheel and the dam filled and grassed over.
- Upper Mill was in 1625 a corn mill. By 1839 production had changed as well as the name to Totley Scythe Mill. The buildings were desroyed and Totley Grove built on the site.
- Nether Mill was a lead smelting mill from 1658. A hundred and fifty years later, around 1800, it was recorded as a corn mill. The arrival of the Hope Valley Line removed all traces of the mill.
Rivers in Sheffield Main river Other rivers Minor rivers, streams and brooks
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Old Bridge Township, New Jersey — Township Map of Old Bridge Township in Middlesex County. Inset: Locati … Wikipedia
Old Erie Canal State Historic Park — The Old Erie Canal and its towpath at Kirkville, New York, within Old Erie Canal State Historic Park. Old Erie Canal State Historic Park is a part of the New York State Park system. It is a linear park encompassing a 36 mile segment of the… … Wikipedia
Hay-on-Wye — infobox UK place country = Wales welsh name= Y Gelli Gandryll constituency welsh assembly= official name= Hay on Wye latitude= 52.08 longitude= 3.13 unitary wales= Powys lieutenancy wales= Powys constituency westminster= Brecon Radnorshire post… … Wikipedia
Totley Brook — The Totley Brook is a stream in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Near Baslow Road, the streams joins the Old Hay Brook to form the River Sheaf.There is an estate in Dore called Totley Brook , but is wrongly named after the Old Hay Brook .The Totley… … Wikipedia
Meers Brook — near Cat Lane, Meersbrook. The Meers Brook is a stream in Sheffield, England and one of the main tributaries of the River Sheaf. The Meers Brook originates in Gleadless and flows downhill through Gleadless Val … Wikipedia
Combe Hay — Coordinates: 51°20′20″N 2°22′52″W / 51.3389°N 2.3810°W / 51.3389; 2.3810 … Wikipedia
Mountain Brook — Ciudad de Mountain Brook Ciudad de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Totley — infobox UK place country = England official name= Totley latitude= 53.31 longitude= 1.54 metropolitan borough= Sheffield metropolitan county= South Yorkshire region= Yorkshire and the Humber constituency westminster= Sheffield Hallam post town=… … Wikipedia
Totley — 53° 19′ N 1° 32′ W / 53.31, 1.54 Totley est une banlieue située dans l extrême sud ouest de Sheffield, près de … Wikipédia en Français
Geography of Sheffield — Sheffield is the most geographically diverse city in Englandref|GEO. The city nestles in a natural amphitheatre created by a number of hills and the confluence of five rivers: Don, Sheaf, Rivelin, Loxley and Porter. As such, much of the city is… … Wikipedia