- Center for Environmental Planning and Technology
Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT) is an academic institution offering undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate programmes in areas of the built environment and related disciplines. It has recently (in 2008) started a post graduate programme in Technology Management to cater to the growing needs of techno-managers in the industry.CEPT (since 2007) has become a State University by an Act of the State Legislative Assembly of Gujarat.
CEPT University aspires not only to train competent technocrats but also in increasing students’ sensitivity to the emotional, spiritual & aesthetic dimensions. However it has grown from a small research centre to a university in a span of less than two years.
CEPT University offers three undergraduate programmes of five years duration:
* Architecture (since 1962)
Established in 1962, under the tutelage of Prof. B.V. Doshi, The School of Architecture (SA) is nationally and internationally recognized as a prime School of Architectural Education. It is now under Faculty of Architecture. The issues underlying Modern Architecture in India and thereby Architectural Education itself, can be broadly discussed as: the relation between building and urban structure, the evolution of architecture of modernity rooted in the Indian tradition, and the need for theory as the basis of architectural practice, if practice is not to be mere construction. It is these issues that have formed the basic thrust of architectural education and directions at the School of Architecture, Ahmedabad. The specific issues of architectural education deal with the balance between development of mind, of sensitivity to the nature of architectural task relevant to our society and our time and the inculcation of skills to interpret them into the language of building. Architectural Education aims at understanding of contemporary society, in the light of its genesis, growth & present day aspirations, through space, structure, materials & construction, into expressions that inspire life & its institutions. Yet education in its true objective aspires to widen horizons, deepen understanding & develop value systems, just as much as inculcate skills. It combines the abstract with the real. To this end, the School sets out to select applicants motivated & committed to learning, possessing aptitude & basic skills suited to Architecture, & who are responsive to the needs & sensibilities of the human society about them. The programme at the School includes the study of Humanities, Arts, Technology, & the Disciplines of Design. It combines instruction with experimentation, information with enquiry, discussion with research, so as to develop learning & deepen understanding.School of Architecture started Postgraduate programmes in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture in 1989 and 1992 respectively.
* Construction Technology (since 1982)
* Interior Design (since 1991)
CEPT University also offers the following master’s programmes:
* Technology Management(since 2008)
* Urban and Regional Planning (since 1972)
* Housing (since 1985)
* Environmental Planning (since 1986)
* Urban Design (since 1990)
* Landscape Architecture (since 1995)
* Construction and Project Management (Since 1996)
* Structural Design (since 1997)
* Infrastructure (since 2004)
All of its academic programmes are conducted in English. CEPT has exchange programmes with several institutions internationally.
All programmes are approved by the State government and AICTE. All undergraduate programmes are funded by the State government and the postgraduate programmes except the last three are funded by AICTE.
A substantial part of the students' time at CEPT is devoted to elective programmes. For undergraduate programme practical training and research thesis are required. For master's level programmes students undergo apprenticeship with professional offices.
Innovative changes in curriculum and teaching methods are undertaken from time to time to keep pace with the advances in the academic areas. CEPT aims to establish close interaction between the students and the professional experts as well as to establish students and faculty exchange programmes with institutions in India and abroad. In depth interaction with the faculty and students is insured. Considering the professional nature of the disciplines dealing with human habitation and the built form, a number, of experts from the industry/profession regularly teach at CEPT as visiting faculty.
Various academic programmes offered by CEPT have proved their mark in the academic and professional world. Deep involvement of professionals and academicians at all levels in a co-operative spirit helps in its search for excellence.
CEPT has student exchange programmes with the following institutions. As part of these programs students are provided with an opportunity to spend one academic semester in these institutions. Exchange programs over the years have proved to be more and more beneficial in terms of available academic exposure, travel and other personal pursuits.
ETH Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Faculty of Architecture ( D-ARCH), Zürich, Switzerland, http://www.arch.ethz.ch
Zurich University of Applied Sciences(ZHAW), The School of Architecture, Design and Civil Engineering, Winterthur, Switzerland, http://www.archbau.zhaw.ch
* Technical University, Delft, The Netherlands
* University of Bern, Switzerland
* University of Calgary, Canada
* RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava
* Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna
* Bezalel Academy, Jerusalem
* Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY USA
CEPT has established Graduate School to coordinate and bring about a certain amount of commonness amongst various postgraduate programmes offered at CEPT. At the present time seven programmes are offered. The Graduate School works under a committee drawn from various programmes and headed by a chairman.
Present postgraduate programmes leading to a degree of master of technology are:
* Urban and Regional Planning
* Environmental Planning
* Urban Design
* Landscape Architecture
* Construction and Project Management
* Structural Design
* Infrastructure Planning
* Masters in Architecture and Design
In additon to the these, a two year post graduate programme in Technology Management leads to a degree of Master of Technology Management (MTM).The MTM programme aims to combine cutting-edge specialization of the existing CEPT academic programmes with management skills and concepts so as to provide Indian Industry with technology managers who can handle wide range of functions and tackle complex challenges of today's global and competitive environment.
CEPT University has started its doctoral programme in the areas of design,architecture, planning and technology from the academic year 2005.
The following areas are illustrative: Urban and Regional Planning; Urbanization and Urban Planning Policies; Development Plans and Town Planning Schemes; Urban Development Authorities; Environmental Planning/Technology/Sustainable Development; Housing ; Planning/Technology/Policy/Management; Urban Transportation; Urban Finance/Management; Landscape Architecture; Architecture- Urban Design; Architecture- Theory and criticism/Journalism; Architecture- Conservation; Construction Project Mnagement/ Construction Industry / Laws International Practices/Contracts-BOOT, BOT, etc.; Civil Engineering Infrastructure- Highways, Ports; Water Resources, Solid waste Disposal; Urban Pollution; Structural Design; Construction Technologies- Innovations in Materials Technologies; Information Technology in Design; Design Education.
There will be a Doctoral Committee to oversee the programme. There will be a Student Advisory Committee for each student consisting of the principal guide, experts from areas (two) in which the student has offered as minors.
Centres of studies
CEPT has established centres of study in various areas. The objectives are:
* To act as a resource centre in the state and set up data banks including reference resource material
* To undertake projects of societal interests as well as professional interests
* To provide opportunities to students to get involved with real live projects on an ongoing basis in comparison to such projects taken in a class room, lab or studio
* To provide a platform to involve citizens at large to tackle issues of concern to CEPT
CEPT Research and Development Unit (CRDU)
Research and Consultancy
With the rapid development of India, the need for creating different data bases, addressing to the resulting problems of rapid societal obligation to offer its expertise for research and consultancy in these areas, also gaining rich experience for the faculty and the institution in the process.
For undertaking a wide range of research projects/consultancies, the institute has a centralized cell, CEPT Research and Development Unit (CRDU). Training programmes, Seminars, Workshops etc. are also conducted through CRDU for outside agencies both at state and national level. CEPT has collaborated with the following agencies for undertaking research and training activities.
* University of Oslo, Norway
* German Technical Cooperation, GTZ, Germany
* Institute for Housing & Urban Development Studies IHS, The Netherlands
* Gujarat Ecology Commission, Gujarat
* Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), New Deli
* Central and State Governments
* Town and Country Planning Organization (TCPO), New Delhi
* Gujarat Institute for Development Research (GIDR), Ahmedabad
* National Institute of Urban Affairs
* Water Supply and sanitation Program of the World Bank
* Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, EDI
During last five years projects have been executed by various project teams through CRDU. These include: -
* Development proposals / strategies / plans for Dwarka, Ambaji, Ambuja Nagar, Kankaria Lake of Ahmedabad, Pilgrim/Tourist Towns of Saurastra, Apparel Park Surat, Kevadia Colony etc.
* Design/Quality Assurance of earthquake attached schools in Kutch & Saurashtra, Lalan College Bhuj & DKV College Jamnagar, 26 Villages in Kutch etc.
* City Development Strategies & Vision Statements for Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Valsad, Ankaleshwar, Bulandshaher (U.P.), Meerut (U.P.), Arunachal, Nagaland etc.
* Environmental assessment projects at various places in State of Gujarat.
* Preparation of Master Plans for various institutes, organizations.
* Strategy formulations, survey work etc. for urban poor and other class/categories of various locations
* GIS Studies/Training, Health Mapping, Wet Land Studies etc. of various locations.
* [http://www.cept.ac.in/index.php Official website of CEPT]
* [http://www.sa-nity.net Course Server of Faculty of Architecture]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Center for Advanced Research and Technology — Infobox School2 | name = Center for Advanced Research and Technology established = May 2000 type = Public grades = 11 12 head name = head = faculty = students = 1200 school colors = mascot = city = Clovis state = California country = United… … Wikipedia
Dearborn Center for Math, Science and Technology — Achieving Excellence Location 22586 Ann Arbor Trail Dearborn Heights, Michigan 48127 … Wikipedia
Center for Knowledge Societies — Infobox Company company name = Center for Knowledge Societies company company type = Private foundation = (2003) location city = location country = India key people = Aditya dev Sood, CEO industry = Experience Design homepage =… … Wikipedia
Nirma University of Science and Technology — Nirma University Established 1994 Type Private President Dr. Karsanbhai K. Patel Vice president Shri Ambubhai Patel Location … Wikipedia
Mindanao University of Science and Technology — Pamantasang Agham at Teknolohiya ng Mindanao Latin: Mindanao Universitas de Scientiarum et Technology … Wikipedia
Huazhong University of Science and Technology — The Huazhong University of Science and Technology ( HUST ; zh stp|s=华中科技大学|t=華中科技大學|p=Huázhōng Kējì Dàxué) is a public, coeducational research university located in Wuhan, Hubei province, China. As a national key university, HUST is directly… … Wikipedia
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology — Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro مهراڻ يونيورسٽي آف انجنيئرڱ اينڊ ٽيڪنالاجي Motto Nurturing the Engineering Graduates with Deep Perception and Wide Perspective Established 1963 … Wikipedia
COMSATS University of Science and Technology — Motto Learn to excel Established April 1998 Type Public Chancellor Minist … Wikipedia
NED University of Engineering and Technology — Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw University of Engineering and Technology Established 1921 Type Public Chancellor Governo … Wikipedia
History of science and technology in the People's Republic of China — For more than a century China s leaders have called for rapid development of science and technology, and science policy has played a greater role in national politics in China than in many other countries. China s scientific and technical… … Wikipedia