- 1 Assault Group Royal Marines
Infobox Military Unit
unit_name=1 Assault Group Royal Marines
caption=Cap Badge of the Royal Marines
Commando/ Light Infantry
role=Rapid reaction force/Home defence
size= Five Squadrons
ceremonial_chief=HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Major General Garry Robison RM
nickname="The Royals", "HM Jollies", "Bootnecks", "The Royal Machines"
motto= "Per Mare Per Terram" (By Sea By Land) (
march=Quick - "
A Life on the Ocean Wave"
Slow - "Preobrajensky"
1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1AGRM) provides the
Royal Marinesexpertise in small boat operations in support of littoraloperations, both amphibious and riverineactivities [ [http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5363 1 Assault Group Royal Marines] ] . It is based at Royal Marines Poole in Dorsetbut is relocating to within HMNB Devonport in 2008/2009. It comprises a number of individual squadrons [ [http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5361 Other Royal Marines Units] ] .
* 4 Assault Squadron RM providing
landing craftsupport to HMS "Bulwark" .This unit is commanded by Lt-Col Nick Bentham-Green as of 2008.
* 6 Assault Squadron RM providing landing craft support to HMS "Albion"
* 9 Assault Squadron RM providing landing craft support to HMS "Ocean"
* 10 Landing Craft Training Squadron
* 11 Amphibious Test and Trials Squadron [Defence Intranet accessed 8 Sept 06] RM based at Royal Marines
1 AGRM also provide the training and expertise for 539 Assault Squadron RM, based in Turnchapel in
Plymouth, which provides landing craft amphibious and riverine capability to 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines. 539 Assault Squadron is named after the famous 539 Assault Flotilla which landed on Gold Beach during the Invasion of Normandy.
Individual squadrons are commanded by a
Majorand are variously equipped with vessels including hovercraft(LCAC), Rigid Raidermotor boats, inflatable raiding craft and landing craft.
10 Landing Craft Training Squadron provide training accredited by the
Royal Yachting Associationfor candidates to the landing craft specialisation. This training is delivered at various stages in the individual's career:
* LC3 at entry to the specialisation as a Marine
* LC2 at promotion to
* LC1 at promotion to
Landing Craft Officer Qualifying course (LCOQ) is delivered to
subalterns who opt to join the landing craft specialisation and prepares them for command of troops within the various squadrons or positions on the staff of Commander-in-Chief Fleetor 3 Commando Brigade.
Additional Training Courses
10 LC Training Squadron also conduct other training tasks.
* Amphibious training for Royal Marines recruits, young officers and the
All Arms Commando Course.
* Small boat training for the Royal Navy, Army, Police and Customs.
* Engineering and navigation training for the Assault Squadrons
* Specially-tailored LC Specialist training for 2 Raiding Troop from the
Royal Marines Reserve.
* Surface Manoeuvre expertise to the wider amphibious community.
United Kingdom Armed Forces
Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines
* [http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5361 Other Royal Marine Units 1 Assault Group Royal Marines]
* [http://www.armedforces.co.uk/navy/listings/l0038.html THE ROYAL MARINES]
* [http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Royal_Marines Dictionary]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines — Cap Badge of the Royal Marines Active 1 May 1980 Present Country … Wikipedia
Royal Marines — Royal Marine Corps Crest Active 1664 – Present Country … Wikipedia
Royal Marines Base Chivenor — Cap Badge of the Royal Marines … Wikipedia
Royal Marines — Emblem der Royal Marines Ärmelabzeichen der Royal Marines Commandos Die Royal Marines sind die … Deutsch Wikipedia
Royal Marines — Corps of Royal Marines Période 28 octobre 1664 Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Royal Marines Reserve — The role of the Royal Marines Reserve (RMR) [http://www.royal marines.mod.uk/static/pages/2808.html] of the United Kingdom is to support the regular Royal Marines [http://www.royal marines.mod.uk] in times of war or national crisis. The RMR… … Wikipedia
History of the Royal Marines — The Corps of Royal Marines, the infantry land fighting element of the United Kingdom s Royal Navy, was formed as part of the Naval Service in 1755. However, it can trace its origins back as far as 1664, when English soldiers first went to sea to… … Wikipedia
Royal Navy — This article is about the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom. For other Royal Navies, see Royal Navy (disambiguation). Royal Navy The naval ensign … Wikipedia
Royal Thai Marine Corps — (ราชนาวิกโยธินแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย) Royal Thai Marine Corps insignia Active 1959 Present … Wikipedia
Royal Military Police — logo Active 28 November 1946 Country UK … Wikipedia