- Defect tracking
In engineering, defect tracking is the process of finding defects in a product (by inspection, testing, or recording feedback from customers), and making new versions of the product that fix the defects. Defect tracking is important in software engineering as complex software systems typically have tens or hundreds or thousands of defects: managing, evaluating and prioritizing these defects is a difficult task: defect tracking systems are computer database systems that store defects and help people to manage them.
The objective of defect prevention is to identify the defects and take corrective action to ensure they are not repeated over subsequent iterative cycles. Defect prevention can be implemented by preparing an action plan to minimize or eliminate defects, generating defect metrics, defining corrective action and producing an analysis of the root causes of the defects.
Defect prevention can be accomplished by actioning the following steps:
- Calculate defect data with periodic reviews using test logs from the execution phase: this data should be used to segregate and classify defects by root causes. This produces defect metrics highlighting the most prolific problem areas;
- Identify improvement strategies;
- Escalate issues to senior management or customer where necessary;
- Draw up an action plan to address outstanding defects and improve development process.This should be reviewed regularly for effectiveness and modified should it prove to be ineffective.
- Undertake periodic peer reviews to verify that the action plans are being adhered to;
- Produce regular reports on defects by age. If the defect age for a particular defect is high and the severity is sufficient to cause concern, focussed action needs to be taken to resolve it.
- Classify defects into categories such as critical defects, functional defects, and cosmetic defects.
- Bug tracking
- Comparison of issue tracking systems
- ^ Qureshi, Siraj (April 2008). "Project Quality Management". http://www.pmhut.com/project-quality-management.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
IssueNet — infobox software name = IssueNet author = Elsinore Technologies Inc. latest release version = 4.5 latest release date = 16 August 2007 operating system = Microsoft Windows platform = .NET genre = issue management / issue tracking website =… … Wikipedia
CVSNT — Developer(s) March Hare Software, Ltd. Stable release 2.5.05 / March 26, 2010; 19 months ago (2010 03 26) Operating system Windows … Wikipedia
TechExcel — Infobox Company company name = TechExcel Inc. company company type = Private company slogan = Accelerate Your Business foundation = 1995 location = Lafayette, California num employees = 180 est. (2008) industry = Computer software products =… … Wikipedia
IBM Rational ClearQuest — Rational ClearQuest Developer(s) Rational Software Stable release 8.0 / October 10, 2011; 42 days ago (2011 10 10) Development status Active … Wikipedia
Perforce — is a commercial, proprietary revision control system developed by Perforce Software, Inc.ArchitecturePerforce is a client/server system.The server manages a central database and a master repository of file versions. Users work on files in local… … Wikipedia
Projistics — is a web based bug tracking and defect tracking software product manufactured by Nagarro. This product requires Microsoft Internet Explorer and internet access.Projistics provides graphical reporting and has customized workflows for automating… … Wikipedia
Software configuration management — In software engineering, software configuration management (SCM) is the task of tracking and controlling changes in the software. Configuration management practices include revision control and the establishment of baselines.SCM concerns itself… … Wikipedia
IBM Rational ClearCase UCM — UCM or Unified Change Management is a layer built on Rational ClearCase to provide additional Software Configuration Management features. These changes include integration with ClearQuest to enforce defect and change tracking with code… … Wikipedia
Action item — A similar concept is the next action according to the Getting Things Done system by David Allen.In Management, an action item is a documented event, task, activity, or action that needs to take place. Action items are discrete units that can be… … Wikipedia
Visual Intercept — infobox software name = Visual Intercept author = Elsinore Technologies Inc. latest release version = 3.7 latest release date = 2006 operating system = Microsoft Windows platform = C++, MFC genre = bug tracking / issue tracking website =… … Wikipedia