- Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland
Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland (or HSC) is the designation of the publicly funded service responsible for the administration of the public health and other social care services in Northern Ireland. The Northern Ireland Executive through its Health Department is responsible for the funding of the service. It is free of charge to all citizens of Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom. For services such as A&E, patients simply walk in, state their name and date of birth, are given treatment and then leave. Patients are unaware of costs incurred by them using the service. It is often called the NHS, as in Scotland, England and Wales, but differs in that it provides not only health care but social care too. In Britain, the three NHS services only provide health care. Social services are provided by local councils. The Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Service was created by the Northern Ireland Office after the Beveridge Report.
The Department is organised under a Permanent Secretary into several groups and one agency. These are the Planning and Resources Group, Strategic Planning and Modernisation Group and Primary, Secondary and Community Care Group and the 5 Professional Groups. The Department’s Executive Agency is the Health and Social Services Estates Agency (known as Health Estates). 
The five professional groups are
- Medical and Allied Services
- Social Services Inspectorate
- Nursing and Midwifery Advisory Group
- Dental Services
- Pharmaceutical Advice and Services
Trusts are the statutory bodies responsible for the management of staff, health and social care services on the ground and have control their own budgets. In 2007 the 19 Health and Social Services Trusts were merged into six Health and Social Care Trusts.
On 29th September 2008 Health minister Michael McGimpsey announced that prescription charges were to be phased out by April 2010, being first reduced to £3.00 in January 2009. This was widely accepted by the four main parties of the Northern Ireland Executive plus the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland. The move will bring Northern Ireland in line with the Welsh system which has already abolished charges, and Scotland which plans to do the same. There is no indication as of yet whether or not England may follow suit or retain charges.
Northern Ireland also has its own dedicated Ambulance Service.
- Health & Social Care Business Services Organisation
- List of government departments, their agencies and their ministers in Northern Ireland
- List of hospitals in Northern Ireland
- ^ "Northern Ireland Health and Social Services Estates Agency". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. 2009-02-06. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/hea/hea.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "Northern Ireland - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/phealth/index.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "Northern Ireland - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/hss/ssi/index.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "Northern Ireland - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/pgroups/nursing/index.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "Chief Dental Officer | DHSSPS (NI)". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. 2009-02-06. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/pgroups/dental/dental.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "Northern Ireland - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety". Dhsspsni.gov.uk. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/pgroups/pharmaceutical/index.asp. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- ^ "UK | Northern Ireland | NI to scrap prescription charges". BBC News. 2008-09-29. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7641637.stm. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Scottish Government Health and Social Care Directorates — are a set of directorates of the Scottish Government. They are responsible for NHS Scotland, as well as policies on the development and implementation of health and community care. The Director General of the Scottish Government s Health and… … Wikipedia
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust — The Belfast Trust is a Health and Social Care Trust covering Belfast, Northern Ireland. The Trust is one of five new NHS trusts which were created on 1 April, 2007 by the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS). The… … Wikipedia
List of government departments, their agencies and their ministers in Northern Ireland — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Ambulance Service — Ambulance in Ann Street, Belfast, October 2009 The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) is the ambulance service that serves the whole of Northern Ireland. As with other ambulance services in the United Kingdom, it does not charge its… … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland — This article is about the country. For other uses, see Northern Ireland (disambiguation). Northern Ireland Tuaisceart Éireann Norlin Airlann … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland — a political division of the United Kingdom, in the NE part of the island of Ireland. 1,537,200; 5238 sq. mi. (13,565 sq. km). Cap.: Belfast. * * * Part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland occupying the northeastern portion … Universalium
Northern Ireland Ombudsman — The Northern Ireland Ombudsman combines two official offices, the Assembly Ombudsman for Northern Ireland and the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Complaints. The Office of the Northern Ireland Ombudsman was established in 1969, but its current… … Wikipedia
Health and Disease — ▪ 2009 Introduction Food and Drug Safety. In 2008 the contamination of infant formula and related dairy products with melamine in China led to widespread health problems in children, including urinary problems and possible renal tube… … Universalium
Outline of Northern Ireland — Location of Northern Ireland (orange) – in the European continent (camel white) – in the United Kingdom (camel) Northern Ireland is one of the four countries of the United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Local government in Northern Ireland — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia