- Cherie Burton
Cherie Burton MP Member of the New South Wales Parliament
Incumbent Assumed office
27 March 1999
Preceded by Brian Langton Majority 1.9% (2011) Personal details Born ca. 1968
Paddington, New South Wales
Nationality Australian Political party Australian Labor Party Spouse(s) Andrew Murphy Occupation Union offical; political advisor Website Parliamentary webpage
Burton was born in Paddington, New South Wales and brought up in Minto. She graduated from Narrabeen High School in 1986 and became an accounts clerk and an official for the National Union of Workers. She later became an adviser to Premier Bob Carr.
Burton has been the member for the relatively safe Labor seat of Kogarah since 1999 when she defeated the Liberal candidate, Sam Witheridge after being installed by the head office administrative committee as the Labor candidate on an N40 ruling, bypassing local pre-selection. At the time of her election, aged 30, she was one of the youngest Labor politicians on the back bench, second only to Matt Brown, aged 27.
Burton was the Minister for Housing and the Minister Assisting the Minister for Health (Mental Health) from August 2005 to March 2007. Citing family reasons, Burton announced she had decided to step down from the ministry following the 2007 NSW election. However questions were raised as to whether she was forced to give up her place in the ministry due to a police enquiry into an alleged assault against the nephew of the Liberal candidate for Burton's electorate on polling day.
Burton was criticised in December 2006 for failing to report to police that a staff member was found to have embezzled A$16,000. Michael Han, an employee at Burton's Kogarah electoral office, was forced to resign and repay the money taken.
Burton's driver's licence was suspended for 12 months in mid-2010 for refusing to cooperate with police demands for some of her blood.
Burton is a keen sailor, having sailed since her teens. She is a Patron of the Kogarah Bay Sailing Club. In October 2006 she opened a new pontoon for Sailability Kogarah Bay at Dover Park, Blakehurst.
- ^ "Burton, Cherie Ann (c. 1968 - )". Australian Women. http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE1385b.htm. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- ^ Robinson, Mark (29 March 1999). "Changes ahead as youth rules". The Daily Telegraph (Australia): pp. 6.
- ^ "The Hon. Cherie Ann Burton, MP". Members of Parliament. Parliament of New South Wales. http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/members.nsf/0/2F980E443D01253B4A256760000CA9FB. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- ^ Benson, Simon (31 March 2007). "Reshuffle clouded as MP accused of assault". The Daily Telegraph: pp. 11. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21475384-5006009,00.html.
- ^ Benson, Simon (15 December 2006). "Theft not reported to police for years". The Daily Telegraph: pp. 9.
- ^ Clennell, Andrew (6 August 2010). "Cherie Burton loses her licence for DUI". The Daily Telegraph: pp. 3. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/cherie-burton-loses-her-licence-for-dui/story-e6freuzi-1225901848051.
- ^ "Minister Cherie Burton launches Sailability Kogarah Bay". Sailability NSW. http://www.sailability.org/news.cfm?news_id=126. Retrieved 2007-03-07.
- ^ Markson, Sharri (4 March 2007). "Psychic changed my life". The Daily Telegraph: pp. 2. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21319748-5011900,00.html.
Parliament of New South Wales Preceded by
Member for Kogarah
1999 – present
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cherie (album) — Cherie Studio album by Cherie Released 2004/8/3 Label Lava … Wikipedia
Burton Lane — est un compositeur et lyriciste américain, né Burton Levy à New York le 2 février 1912, décédé au même lieu le 5 janvier 1997. Sommaire 1 Biographie 2 Théâtre (à Broadway) … Wikipédia en Français
La Chérie de Jupiter — (film, 1955) La Chérie de Jupiter Titre original Jupiter’s Darling Réalisation George Sidney Acteurs principaux Esther Williams Howard Keel George Sanders Scénario Dorothy Kingsley Lyric … Wikipédia en Français
La Chérie de Jupiter (film, 1955) — La Chérie de Jupiter Données clés Titre original Jupiter’s Darling Réalisation George Sidney Scénario Dorothy Kingsley Acteurs principaux Esther Williams Howard Keel George Sanders … Wikipédia en Français
Government of New South Wales — Emblem of the New South Wales Government and its agencies Coat of Arms of the State of New South Wales, used for formal and ceremonial purposes The form of the Government of New South Wales is … Wikipedia
Clover Moore — The Right Honourable Lord Mayor of Sydney Clover Moore MP 82nd Lord Mayor of Sydney Incumbent Assumed office 27 March 2004 Pr … Wikipedia
New South Wales state election campaign, 2007 — Main article: New South Wales state election, 2007 Election campaign, 2007 Government Opposition Labor … Wikipedia
Members of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, 2003–2007 — This is a list of members of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly from 2003 to 2007, as elected at the 2003 state election: Name Party Electorate Term in office Hon Pam Allan Labor Wentworthville 1988–2007 Hon Richard Amery Labor Mount Druitt … Wikipedia
Members of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, 1999–2003 — This is a list of members of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly from 1999 to 2003, as elected at the 2003 state election: Name Party Electorate Term in office Hon Pam Allan Labor Wentworthville 1988–2007 Hon Richard Amery Labor Mount Druitt … Wikipedia
Minto, New South Wales — Minto Sydney, New South Wales Minto railway station Population … Wikipedia