- Department of Management Studies IIT Delhi
The Department of Management Studies IIT Delhi, also known as DMSIITD, is the school of management education and research in Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. The department established in 1993 by an amendment in IIT Delhi statutes, currently runs a two year full time MBA programme with focus on Management Systems, a two year full time MBA with focus on Telecommunication Systems Management under the aegis of Bharti School of Telecom Technology and Management and a three year part time MBA programme with focus on Technology Management.
The Department of Management Studies is a result of the revolutionary[peacock term] process of growth of an idea floated in 1963. What was then a seed, gradually came to life and in 1974 IIT Delhi set up an internal committee to scrutinize the functioning of the management area in the institute. In 1975, an expert committee was set up to formally examine the possibility of launching this area in a more sustained fashion. The result was an M.Tech programme in "Management Systems" in the School for System Studies (subsequently renamed School for Systems and Management Studies). The year 1978 saw the setting up of the Management Core Group and the core inputs to a full time Management Education at IIT(D) were reconfirmed by an Advisory Committee constituted by the representatives of the Academia and the industry. The School for Systems and Management Studies became the Centre for Systems and Management Studies. This was subsequently renamed as the Centre for Management Studies.
In 1993 the Department was brought into existence by amendment to IIT(D) statutes. Clearly, the Department responds to a felt need of the Indian Industry and derives satisfaction[peacock term] from its heavy field orientation in all its curriculum activity. In response to the feedback from the students, alumni and industry, the Department of Management Studies launched MBA programmes in 1997.
The department currently runs a two year full time MBA programme with focus on Management Systems, a two year full time MBA with focus on Telecommunication Systems Management under the aegis of Bharti School of Telecom Technology and Management and a three year part time MBA programme with focus on Technology Management. Apart from the specialised compulsory courses in the focus area, the students have choice for functional area specialization in finance, marketing, operations, information technology, HR etc.
MBA program in IIT- Delhi is designed keeping in mind the changes in business environment and the need of the industry.
The institute constantly endeavors to extend industry association and interaction to ensure further enrichment of academic content for the overall benefit of the industry, in particular and the society in general. The institute also provide consulting support to all category of industries in the areas covering all functional areas of management and is also engaged in research activities in various frontier areas of management. Currently DMSIITD has over forty registered Ph.D. scholars doing research work on various management issues. The institute invite industries to come forward for meaningful collaborative efforts.
National and international recognition
The Department has undertaken consultancy work on behalf of Government Departments such as Department of Education, Department of Science and Technology and Department of Rural Development etc. It has provided consultancy support to various service and manufacturing sector industries and co-operatives besides consulting for international organisations like the U.S. Air Force. It has also provided professional inputs to voluntary professional associations such as Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), All India Management Association (AIMA), Indian Society for Training & Development (ISTD), IFTDO and ARTDO International etc. The Department has also made contributions to the developmental activities of companies such as HTA, Arthur Andersen, Dubai Port Authority, Malaysian Institute of Insurance, Indian Petro-Chemicals Limited (IPCL) and Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). Its expertise has been sought in Germany, France, Mauritius, Saudi Arabia, UAE etc. The Department has contributed in the policy formulation and operational activities at the highest level of the Government, University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Ministry of Human Resource Development and various corporate enterprises. The faculty has received fellowships from the United Nations Development Programme, Shastri-Indo Canadian Institute Calgary, Royal Asiatic Society London, ARTDO International Manila, All India Management Association, Indian Society for Training & Development, and other major national and international professional associations.
Several faculty members of the Department have received awards for their papers, books and other contributions to the profession and industry. The faculty of the Department has been invited to various international activities and assignments in over two dozen countries ranging from Canada to Australia and from Japan to Mexico.
The Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi has the following as its distinguishing features:
- A special focus on "Systems Thinking" and "Process Oriented" approach to learning.
- A special focus on Technology Management through the three year part time programme.
- A special focus on Telecom Systems Management through its two year full time programme.
- An emphasis on Entrepreneurship Development aimed at creating successful future Business ventures with the support of SIDBI and FITT .
- Pioneer in IPR[disambiguation needed ] education in the country
- Heavy research orientation, which is used extensively for designing courses to respond to current industry issues and continuously revise the contents of the courses.
- Home to country’s first research series on ‘Comparative Management Practices in Asia’.
- A widely acclaimed faculty, which has been invited to teach in various parts of the globe.
- The faculty has contributed at the highest policy level committees of Government of India (GoI), served on various boards of corporate entities, as Chairman - All India Board of Management Education (AICTE)’ and contributed to the establishment of 5th Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Kozhikode; and 7th Indian Institute of Management at Shillong
- The Department faculty has published over five dozen books and over 1000 papers in various journals and conference volumes.The research work done at the DMS IIT Delhi has found place in many International and National Journals of repute.
MoU and Collaborations
The Department has MoUs and active collaborations with several institutions such as:
- Modi Corp
- IBM India
- Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok
- ENPC France
- MacMillan India
- University of Paris, Pantheon-Sorbonne, Paris
- Center for Public Sector Enterprise, Slovania
- Hughes Escort Communication Ltd. (DirectWay)
- Sun Microsystems, India
- Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA
There are various committees which are run primarily by the students of DMS. These include the following: Placement Committee, Industry Interaction Committee, Media Interaction and Public Relation Committee, Alumni Committee, Parivartan the cultural committee, Chaos the literary committee, Sports Committee, Technical Committee.
In addition to these committees, DMS also has many strong clubs specializing in Marketing, Finance, strategy, Operations, Quizzing, debating and Consultancy. All of these are run and managed by the students themselves.
Following are the areas and activities being planned to be accomplished in the near future at DMS IIT Delhi:
- Setting up a Business School within IIT system for which work has already been initiated and fund is being raised.
- Dual degree (B.Tech + MBA) programme within IIT. The proposal is now pending with concerned authority for approval.
- Collaboration with leading European and American Business Schools for collaborative research work, faculty and student exchange programme, running the management and executive development programme both in India and abroad. And for working together to provide joint academic programme with prospect of awarding dual degree.
- Introducing new management programme including :
- Agribusiness Management
- Environment Management
IIT & IISc Schools of Management
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
DMS (Department of Management Studies), IIT Delhi — DMS or the Department of Management Studies is the postgraduate management programme of IIT Delhi, the premier education of technical education in India.The entry is based on scores obtained in JMET exam , thus swiping off the ala de creme of the … Wikipedia
Department of Management Studies IIT Madras — Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras Established 2004 Head Prof. Srinivasan G. Location Chennai, India Enrollment … Wikipedia
Department of Management Studies, IIT Roorkee — Department of Management Studies (DoMS) at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT Roorkee) part of the IIT Schools of Management, was established in 1998 to impart formal education in management science through a 2 year regular MBA… … Wikipedia
Department of Computer Applications, NSHM Knowledge Campus — Department of Computer Applications at NSHM Knowledge Campus, Durgapur Motto To bring prosperity to society and enhance quality of life by imparting knowledge and advancing knowledge and skills, unleashing creative abilities and inculcating… … Wikipedia
IIT Schools of Management — The IIT Schools of Management (IIT SoMs) are the management schools/departments of the Indian Institutes of Technology, located in the cities of Kharagpur, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kanpur and Roorkee. They award post graduate degrees in Management … Wikipedia
Delhi Public School Society — Delhi Public School Service Before Self Location … Wikipedia
Delhi — This article is about the National Capital Territory of India. For the capital city of India, see New Delhi. For other uses, see Delhi (disambiguation). Delhi दिल्ली … Wikipedia
Department of Higher Education (India) — Department of Higher Education is the department under Ministry of Human Resource Development, that oversees higher education in India. The department is empowered to grant deemed university status to educational institutions on the advice of the … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi — Established 1961 Type Education and research institution Director … Wikipedia
University of Delhi — दिल्ली विश्वविद्यालय Seal of the University of Delhi Motto Sanskrit: निष्ठा धृति: सत्यम् … Wikipedia