- Tagged Message Delivery Agent
TMDA is an
open-source software applicationdesigned to reduce the amount of spam (Internet junk-mail) a user receives. TMDA's main difference from other anti-spam systems is the use of a controversial challenge/response system that bulk mailing machines and programs are either unwilling (to save bandwidth) or unable (due to lack of programming) to answer.
The technical countermeasures used by TMDA to thwart spam include:
* Whitelists: Whitelists are essentially an 'accept list'. All messages from addresses in these lists are automatically allowed through no matter what the content is.
* Blacklists: Blacklists are a 'block list'. All messages from addresses in these lists are automatically blocked.
* Challenge/response (C/R): A controversial system in which challenge emails are sent to unfamiliar sending addresses in an attempt to validate those addresses and their associated emails. Legitimate senders who are not yet approved are thus tasked with an additional "response" effort in sending mail. Also, as spam is often crafted with forged sending addresses, persons otherwise unrelated to the incident can be sent spurious challenges—a form of backscatter.
* Tagged addresses: Special-purpose e-mail addresses such as time-dependent addresses, or addresses which only accept certain kinds of communication. These increase the transparency of TMDA for unknown senders by allowing them to safely circumvent the challenge/response system.
* [http://tmda.net TMDA homepage]
* [http://tmda.net/history.html TMDA history]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tagged Message Delivery Agent — (kurz TMDA) ist eine Open Source Applikation, die Serverseitig Nachrichten unbekannter Herkunft zurückhält und somit Spam weitgehend blockiert. Diese Nachrichten werden dem Empfänger erst zugestellt nachdem der Absender eine Challenge Response… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Challenge–response spam filtering — This article is about e mail. For other uses, see Challenge response authentication. A challenge–response (or C/R) system is a type of spam filter that automatically sends a reply with a challenge to the (alleged) sender of an incoming e mail. In … Wikipedia
Challenge-response spam filtering — A Challenge response (or C/R) system is a type of spam filter that automatically sends a reply with a challenge to the (alleged) sender of an incoming e mail. In this reply, the sender is asked to perform some action to assure delivery of the… … Wikipedia
TDMA — may refer to: * Tridiagonal matrix algorithm a mathematical system * Time division multiple access a circuit switched channel access scheme used especially in digital wireless communication, for example most 2G cell phone standards * the initials … Wikipedia
Push Access Protocol — PAP is a protocol defined in WAP 164 of the Wireless Application Protocol suite from the [http://www.wapforum.org Open Mobile Alliance] . PAP is used for communicating with the Push Proxy Gateway, which is usually part of a WAP Gateway.PAP is… … Wikipedia
Life Sciences — ▪ 2009 Introduction Zoology In 2008 several zoological studies provided new insights into how species life history traits (such as the timing of reproduction or the length of life of adult individuals) are derived in part as responses to… … Universalium
Anti-spam techniques (e-mail) — To prevent e mail spam, both end users and administrators of e mail systems use various anti spam techniques. Some of these techniques have been embedded in products, services and software to ease the burden on users and administrators. No one… … Wikipedia
baseball — /bays bawl /, n. 1. a game of ball between two nine player teams played usually for nine innings on a field that has as a focal point a diamond shaped infield with a home plate and three other bases, 90 ft. (27 m) apart, forming a circuit that… … Universalium
Anti-spam techniques — To prevent e mail spam (aka unsolicited bulk email), both end users and administrators of e mail systems use various anti spam techniques. Some of these techniques have been embedded in products, services and software to ease the burden on users… … Wikipedia
Elliott Smith — This article is about the recording artist. For his self titled album, see Elliott Smith (album). For the biography, see Elliott Smith (book). For the archeologist, see Grafton Elliot Smith. Elliott Smith Smith performing in Los Angeles, February … Wikipedia