subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_name = ROU
map_caption = Location of Orăştie
image_caption=Center of Orăştie and Orthodox Cathedral
leader_name=Iosif Veniamin Blaga
* VIIIth to 9th century - First signs of human settlement.
* 1206 - King of Hungary, Andrew II, mentioned "Romosul", a village near Orăştie, as one of the first three villages in Transylvania comprising Saxon colonists.
* 1224 - Andrew II confirmed the privileges of the Saxon colonists and mentioned the existence of Romanian ("Blachi") and
Pecheneg("Bisseni") populations in the town.
* 1241 - Orăştie was devastated during the Mongol invasion.
* 1309 - Orăştie had approx. 1,600 inhabitants.
* 1324 - Hungarian King Charles I Robert, awarded it the rank of town.
* 1376 - 19
guilds ("fraternitas") are mentioned as active in the town.
* 1420 - The county is raided by the Ottomans.
* 1425 - Saxons from Orăştie became suppliers of the Turks. Town is mentioned under its German name, "Bros" or "Broos".
* 1436 - Hungarians are mentioned as living in the center of the town.
* 1438 - An Ottoman army entered Transylvania near Orăştie and damaged the town's fortress.
* 1479 - An Ottoman army of 60,000 raided Transylvania. Orăştie was set on fire. On their way back, they were attacked by Transylvanian troops (some under the command of
Pavel Chinezul) near Orăştie. The Turks lost half of their forces.
* 1500 - The annual fair on
Saint NicholasDay was held for the first time in history.
* 1509 - The first mention of Gypsies in Orăştie: "The ledger of Sibiu city, registres a payment made in favor of two employers sent to Orăştie to escort some Gypsies held and accused of violent crimes in the market place in Orăştie."
* 1577 - The first mention of the Hungarian name for the town, "Szászváros" (meaning: Saxon Town).
* 1599 -
Michael the Braveasked the town for a loan of 1,000 florins.
* 1582 - The "Old Testament of Orăştie", one of the first Romanian-language translations of the Bible was printed here.
* 1602 - General
Giorgio Basta garrisoned 400 Imperial soldiers in the town. Their actions persuaded the townsfolk to flee or otherwise barricade themselves in the church's castle. Later, in the same year, general Gabriel Bethlen, with an army of Tatars, Turks, Hungarians and Serbsbesieged the town. The Imperial soldiers were denied access to the church's castel and all but 11 were killed. In August, Basta retook Transylvania and hanged the Mayor of Orăştie and two other prominent burghers.
* 1604 - 1,500 of Basta's soldiers were garrisoned in the town. Because of extreme
famine, there cannibalismextended.
* 1605 - A large part of the town was destroyed.
* 1661 - An Ottoman army in pursuit of János Kemény, set on fire Orăştie and
* 1663 - The reformed college of the town was established by
Michael I Apafi
* 1697 - The first
pharmacyof the town, "Graffius", was established.
* 1733 - The tax registry mentioned 2,800 inhabitants in 568 families: 240 Romanian families, 170 Hungarian, 100 Saxon, 50 Gypsy and 8 Greek.
* 1738 - The plague caused the deaths of 156 people.
* 1749 - The
Roman Catholicchurch was built in the shape that it still has: in 1880 a tower was added.
* 1752-1756 - 144 colonists from
Upper Austriasettle the town.
* 1757-1758 - Another 222 colonists from the same region.
* 1784 - The peasants' rebellion of Horea, Cloşca and Crişan.
* 1786 - A
censusunder Emperor Joseph II counted 3,190 people in the town.
* 1820-1823 - The Lutheran church was build, with a tower being added in 1841.
* 1828 - A large fire destroys 127 houses.
* 1848 - Fighting between forces of Hungarian Revolutionary forces under general
Józef Bem, and the Austrian armies.
* 1853 - Transylvania was reorganised in 10 counties. The third one was centered on Orăştie. The county has 134,77 square miles/348,90 square km and 214,165 inhabitants. According to etnical criteria, its population comprised: 192,995 Romanians, 7,809 Hungarians, 1,063 Germans (and 12,297 of other categories). The religious divisions: 160,603
Eastern Orthodox, 38,550 Eastern Rite Catholics, 8,565 Lutherans, 4,283 Roman-Catholic, 2,141 Calvinists and 23 of other religions.
* 1854 - Orăştie had 4,207 inhabitants.
* 1857 - Census counted 5,029 inhabitants: 1,850 Eastern Orthodox, 1,136 Roman Catholic, 884 Lutheran, 688 Calvinist, 486 Eastern Rite, 24 Jewish, 19 Unitarian and 5 Armenian.
* 1867 - The
* 1869 - First bank was established: "Brooser Vorschuss-verein".
* 1877 - Orăştie had 5,661 inhabitants.
* 1880 - Orăştie had 1,086 houses and 5,451 inhabitants: 2,312 Romanians, 1,427 Germans, 1,227 Hungarians, 16
Slovaks, 8 Serbs, 176 other nationalities, 138 foreigners and 147 of unknown maternal language (a category that included Gypsies); 2,030 Eastern Orthodox, 1,002 Roman Catholic, 964 Lutheran, 769 Calvinist, 523 Eastern Rite, 163 Jewish.
* 1900 - Orăştie had 6,238 inhabitants. Electrical
street lightingwas introduced.
* 1910 - 6,937 inhabitants (of which 3,276 Romanians).
* 1930 - 7,377 inhabitants.
* 1941 - 9,751 inhabitants.
* 1948 - 8,819 inhabitants.
* 1956 - 10,488 inhabitants.
* 1960 - 11,726 inhabitants.
* 1966 - 12,822 inhabitants.
* 1973 - 14,994 inhabitants.
* 2002 - 20,000 inhabitants.
1. Chronicles and documents about the history of Orăştie - vol. 1 1200-1541, Anton E. Dörner.
2. Orăştie - 750 years, Ion Iliescu, Tiberiu Istrate.
3. Orăştie - 775, dr. Anton E. Dörner, Vasile Ionaş, Ioachim Lazăr, Mihai Căstăian.
4. Orăştie - Encyclopedia, Petru Baciu.
*ro icon [http://www.orastieinfo.ro/ www.orastieinfo.ro]
*ro icon [http://www.orastie.org/ www.orastie.org]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Orăștie — Municipality View from Lutheran Church tower … Wikipedia
Orăștie — Broos Szászváros … Deutsch Wikipedia
Orastie — Orăştie Broos Szászváros Hilfe zu Wappen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Orăştie — Diese Schreibung ist obsolet. Das Stichwort ist unter „Orăștie“ zu finden. In der rumänischen Orthographie finden statt der Buchstaben Şş und Ţţ die Buchstaben Șș und Țț Anwendung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Orastie — Original name in latin Ortie Name in other language Broos, Orastie, Orehshtie, Ortie, Орэштие State code RO Continent/City Europe/Bucharest longitude 45.83333 latitude 23.2 altitude 224 Population 20763 Date 2012 06 12 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Orăştie — Sp Oreštijė Ap Orăştie L u. ir mst. C Rumunijoje … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Orăştie River — Coordinates: 45°52′48″N 23°10′57″E / 45.88°N 23.1825°E / 45.88; 23.1825 … Wikipedia
CSM Dacia Orăştie — Dacia Orăştie Full name Club Sportiv Municipal Dacia Orăştie Nickname(s) Dacii (The Dacians) Short name Dacia … Wikipedia
Dacian Fortresses of the Orăștie Mountains — Dacian Fortresses of the Orăștie Mountains * UNESCO World Heritage Site … Wikipedia
Dacian Fortresses of the Orăştie Mountains — Infobox World Heritage Site WHS = Dacian Fortresses of the Orastie Mountains State Party = ROM Type = Cultural Criteria = ii, iii, iv ID = 906 Region = Europe and North America Year = 1999 Session = 23rd Link =… … Wikipedia