- Dave Weckl
Dave Weckl live with the Mike Stern Band in 2009
Background information Born January 8, 1960 Genres Jazz, jazz fusion, post-bop Instruments Drums Labels GRP, Stretch Website daveweckl.com
Dave Weckl (born January 8, 1960) is a highly acclaimed jazz fusion drummer. Weckl attended Francis Howell High School in St. Charles, MO and graduated in 1978. He majored in jazz studies at the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut. Starting out on the New York fusion scene in the early 1980s, Weckl soon found himself working with artists such as Paul Simon, Madonna, George Benson, Michel Camilo, Robert Plant and Anthony Jackson. His most famous early work though, where his popularity blossomed, was with the Chick Corea Elektric Band from 1985 to 1991.
Weckl spent a total of seven years with Corea, during which he performed on numerous albums and also appeared with Corea's Akoustic Band. He augmented his work with Corea by continuing his session work and appearing often with the GRP All-Star Big Band. In addition, he recorded four albums in 1988 and 1989 with the Manhattan Jazz Quintet. Weckl has also released a series of instructional videotapes, and in 1990, he led his first solo date, Master Plan, for GRP. Heads Up followed in 1992, as well as Hard-Wired in 1994.
After leaving Corea's band, Weckl recorded and toured with guitarist Mike Stern. Under his own name, he has been the leader of ten recordings since 1990, seven of which as the Dave Weckl Band. Dave endorses Yamaha Drums, Sabian Cymbals and Vic Firth Drumsticks, all of whom he has assisted with the design of new products, such as Sabian's HHX Evolution and HHX Legacy cymbal lines.
Around 1996, his style and setup radically changed, in large part because of his studies with Freddie Gruber.
Remo Coated Ambassadors (toms), Coated Ambassadors (snare), Coated Ambassador (bass), Weckl Bass Drum Muffle and Weckl Active Snare Dampening System
- 1990 – Master Plan (GRP records)
- 1992 – Heads Up (GRP records)
- 1994 – Hard Wired (GRP records)
Dave Weckl Band:
- 1998 – Rhythm of the Soul (Stretch records)
- 1999 – Synergy (Stretch records)
- 2000 – Transition (Stretch records)
- 2001 – The Zone (Stretch records)
- 2002 – Perpetual Motion (Stretch records)
- 2003 – Live (And Very Plugged In) (Stretch records)
- 2005 – Multiplicity (Stretch records)
- 1988 – Back to Basics (DCI music)
- 1990 – The Next Step (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion I - With Walfredo Reyes Sr. (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion II - With Walfredo Reyes Sr. (DCI Music)
- 2000 – How to develop your own sound (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to practice (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to develop technique (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 1988 – Back to Basics
- 1992 – The Next Step (Manhattan Music)
- 1994 – Contemporary Drummer + One (Manhattan Music)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. I (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. II (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 2001 – In Session with the Dave Weckl Band (Carl Fischer Music)
- 2004 – Exercises for natural playing (Carl Fischer Music)
- Yamaha Drums
- Sabian Cymbals
- Vic Firth Sticks & Mallets
- Remo Drumheads
- Shure Microphones
- Latin Percussion
- XL Cases
- ^ Freedman, Stefanee (9 March 2006). "Dave Weckl: Rhythm Talk". AllAboutJazz.com. http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=20315. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- ^ a b Huey, Steve. "Dave Weckl Biography". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p136772/biography. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- ^ "Dave Weckl at All About Jazz". http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=11238. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dave Weckl — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dave Weckl Información personal Nacimiento 8 de enero de 1960 … Wikipedia Español
Dave Weckl — (2004) Dave Weckl (* 8. Januar 1960 in St. Louis, Missouri) ist ein US amerikanischer Jazz und Fusion Schlagzeuger. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dave Weckl — Naissance 8 janvier 1960 (1960 01 08) (51 ans) Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Weckl — Dave Weckl (2004) Dave Weckl (* 8. Januar 1960 in St. Louis, Missouri) ist ein US amerikanischer Jazz und Fusion Schlagzeuger. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dave Grusin Presents GRP All-Star Big Band Live! — Live album by GRP All Star Big Band Released October 5 … Wikipedia
Jimmy Weckl — (real name: Harumi Ueko, Jimmy Weckl possibly being a reference to the jazz drummer Dave Weckl) is a very prolific composer and musician in the GuitarFreaks, DrumMania, and Pop n Music series of Bemani video games. While all his music is… … Wikipedia
Tom Kennedy — Datos generales Nacimiento 21 de agosto de 1960 (51 años) Origen St. Louis, Missouri, Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Manhattan Jazz Quintet — The Manhattan Jazz Quintet is a jazz ensemble consisting of David Matthews on piano, Lew Soloff on trumpet, Victor Lewis on drums, Andy Snitzer on saxophone, and Charnett Moffett on bass. Previously, the band featured George Young on tenor sax,… … Wikipedia
Larry Rosen (producer) — Larry Rosen (born May 25, 1940 in the Bronx, New York) is a musician, producer, executive producer, and music industry entrepreneur.Mr. Rosen is the producer/executive producer of over 350 albums, of which 80 have been nominated for GRAMMY Awards … Wikipedia
Steve Weingart — Steve Weingart, born March 1966 in Dayton, Ohio, is an acclaimed Jazz/Funk keyboard player [ [http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=14256 Steve Weingart at All About Jazz ] ] based in Los Angeles, California, USA, who has recorded and… … Wikipedia