- Hate mail
Hate mail (as electronic, posted, or otherwise) is a form of
harassment, usually consisting of invective and potentially intimidating or threatening comments towards the recipient. Hate mail often contains exceptionally abusive, foul or otherwise hurtful language.
The recipient may receive disparaging remarks concerning the subject's
ethnicity, sexuality, religion, intelligence, political ideology, or sense of ethics. The text of hate mail often contains profanity, or it may simply contain a negative, disappropriating message.
Obscene phone call
* [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/els/09626298/2001/00000020/00000001/art00033 "The politics of geography: - hate mail, rabid referees, and culture wars"] "
Political Geography", Vol. 20, No. 1, January 2001, pp. 1-12
* [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0007-1234(198810)18%3A4%3C467%3A'STWWA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-M "'I Shoot Them with Words': An Analysis of Political Hate-Letters"] "
British Journal of Political Science", Vol. 18, No. 4, October 1988, pp. 467-483
* [http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,1126294,00.html "Jewish activists opposing the Israeli government's policies face intimidation and harassment via email and on the internet."] "
Guardian Unlimited", 19 January 2004
* [http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=8f4e1f6f-7b63-435f-8b3b-43623734ac0b&k=86532 "Postal workers upset with 'homophobic hate mail'"] Canadian Press, 26 October 2006
* [http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1055606/ "Racist Hate Mail Found In Durham Mailboxes"]
WRAL-TV, 10 October 2006
* [http://blog.iamanatheist.com/search/label/Hate%20mail IAmAnAtheist.com hate mail]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
hate mail — n [U] letters that express a lot of hatred towards the person to whom they are sent ▪ She complained to the police after receiving threatening phone calls and hate mail … Dictionary of contemporary English
hate mail — hate ,mail noun uncount extremely unpleasant letters sent to someone, containing threats or offensive remarks … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
hate mail — noun mail that expresses the writer s dislike or hatred (usually in offensive language) • Hypernyms: ↑mail, ↑post * * * letters, telegrams, etc., that express prejudice or disagreement in abusive or threatening terms. * * * hate mail noun… … Useful english dictionary
hate mail — also hate mail N UNCOUNT If someone receives hate mail, they receive unpleasant or threatening letters … English dictionary
hate-mail — see hate mail … English dictionary
hate mail — letters, telegrams, etc., that express prejudice or disagreement in abusive or threatening terms. * * * … Universalium
hate mail — UK / US noun [uncountable] extremely unpleasant letters sent to someone, containing threats or offensive remarks … English dictionary
ˈhate ˌmail — noun [U] letters that contain threats or offensive remarks … Dictionary for writing and speaking English
Hate speech — is a term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a person or group of people based on their race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability … Wikipedia
mail — mail1 W3S3 [meıl] n [U] [Sense: 1 3; Date: 1200 1300; : Old French; Origin: male bag ] [Sense: 4; Date: 1200 1300; : French; Origin: maille, from Latin macula spot, woven threads ] 1.) the letters and packages that are delivered to you … Dictionary of contemporary English