- City of Hobsons Bay
City of Hobsons Bay
Location within Melbourne metropolitan area
Population: 87,486(2009) Established: June 1994 Area: 65 km² (25.1 sq mi) Mayor: Michael Raffoul Council Seat: Altona North Region: Metropolitan Melbourne State District: Altona, Williamstown Federal Division: Gellibrand, Lalor LGAs around City of Hobsons Bay: Brimbank, Wyndham Maribyrnong Melbourne Wyndham City of Hobsons Bay Melbourne, Port Phillip Wyndham Port Phillip Port Phillip
It was founded on 22 June 1994 during the amalgamation of local councils by the Kennett Government from the City of Williamstown and City of Altona, as well as the suburb of South Kingsville from the City of Footscray. It took its name from Hobsons Bay, named after Captain William Hobson. The city has an area of 65 square kilometres, and at the 2006 Census had a population of 81,451.
Victoria University has a campus in the suburb of Newport, which focuses on automotive, metal fabrication, building and electrical trades. The Newport campus hosts the Centre for Curriculum Innovation and Development.
The library, run by the council has five branches: Altona, Altona Meadows, Altona North, Newport and Williamstown. Reflecting the multiculturalism of the community, the library service has a large amount of material in eight different languages.
The Environment Resource Centre is located in Altona library and provides the community access to resources concerning the environment, including initiatives and environmental groups in Hobsons Bay.
Hobsons Bay has seven train stations on the Werribee railway line, in Metcard Zones 1 and 2. These stations are Spotswood, Newport, Seaholme railway station, Altona, Westona, Laverton and Aircraft. Previously on this line were the stations of Mobiltown, Paisley, and Galvin.
Williamstown railway line is a shuttle service which is entirely located in Hobsons Bay. It departs the Werribee railway line at Newport and visits the stations of North Williamstown, Williamstown Beach, and Williamstown.
Twelve separate bus services operate in Hobsons Bay.
- Route 232 : Altona North to Queen Victoria Market (via West Gate Freeway)
- Route 411 : Laverton, Altona Meadows, Altona to Footscray (via Millers Road)
- Route 412 : Laverton, Altona Meadows, Altona to Footscray (via Mills Street)
- Route 413 : Laverton to Werribee Plaza (via Broadwalk Boulevard)
- Route 414 : Aircraft railway station to Footscray
- Route 415 : Laverton, Altona to Williamstown (via Civic Parade)
- Route 416 : Aircraft railway station to Hoppers Crossing (via The Strand)
- Route 432 : Newport to Yarraville
- Route 471 : Williamstown to Sunshine (via Newport railway station and Altona Gate Shopping Centre)
- Route 472 : Williamstown to Moonee Ponds (via Footscray)
- Route 903 : Altona to Mordialloc (via Essendon) SmartBus service
From Hobsons Bay, the West Gate Freeway provides access to the Melbourne CBD and eastern suburbs (over the iconic West Gate Bridge), the Princes Freeway provides access to outer south-western suburbs and Geelong, while the Western Ring Road leads to the northern suburbs and Melbourne Airport.
- Altona Meadows
- Altona North
- Brooklyn (shared with City of Brimbank)
- Laverton (shared with City of Wyndham)
- South Kingsville
- Williamstown North
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/3218.0Main%20Features52008-09?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3218.0&issue=2008-09&num=&view=. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- Cr Tony Briffa JP - Deputy Mayor of the City of Hobsons Bay and Councillor for Altona & Seaholme
- City of Hobsons Bay
- Hobsons Bay Community Online Forum
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
- The Times - publisher of Hobsons Bay Times
Local Government Areas of Victoria Greater MelbourneInner MelbourneMetropolitanOuter Metropolitan Southwest Central Highlands and Goldfields Goulburn Valley Northeast Gippsland Western District Wimmera The Mallee
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
City of Hobsons Bay — Lage von Hobsons Bay City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Altona Fläche … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hobsons Bay City — City of Hobsons Bay Lage von Hobsons Bay City in Melbourne Gliederung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail — NOTOC MelbourneBikePath DESCRIPTION=Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail Williamstown section NAME=Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail LENGTH=10km from the Docklands to Williamstown via Footscray Rd. 5km from Williamstown to Altona. DIFFICULTY=Easy HILLS=None HAZARDS … Wikipedia
Ville d'Hobsons Bay — 37°51′S 144°50′E / 37.85, 144.833 … Wikipédia en Français
City of Wyndham — Victoria Location of City of Wyndham within Melbourne. Population: 143,879(2009) … Wikipedia
City of Brimbank — Victoria Map of Melbourne showing City of Brimbank Population: 168,215 (2006) … Wikipedia
City of Altona — This article is about a former local government area. For the suburb, see Altona, Victoria. City of Altona Victoria Location in Melbourne … Wikipedia
City of Williamstown — This article is about a former local government area. For the suburb, see Williamstown, Victoria. City of Williamstown Victoria Location in M … Wikipedia
City of Maribyrnong — Victoria Map of Melbourne showing location of City of Maribyrnong. Population: 71,523(2009) … Wikipedia
City of Frankston — Lage von Frankston City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Frankston Fläche: 131 … Deutsch Wikipedia