- Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)
"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" Single by Edison Lighthouse B-side "Every Lonely Day" Released January 1970 (UK)
21 February 1970 (US)
Recorded England, November 1969 Genre Pop rock Length 2:51 Label Bell Records Writer(s) Tony Macaulay / Barry Mason
"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" is a popular song by "one-hit wonder" Edison Lighthouse. The single hit the number one spot on the UK singles chart on the week ending on 31 January 1970, where it remained for a total of five weeks.
"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" was written by Tony Macaulay ans Barry Mason. Essentially they were a studio group with prolific session singer Tony Burrows providing the vocals. When the song became a hit, a group needed to be assembled rapidly to feature the song on Top Of The Pops, a popular TV show. Sylvan Whittingham found a group called Greenfields and brought them to the auditions a week before their appearance on Top of the Pops. Once chosen and rehearsed, they appeared on the show as 'Edison Lighthouse' to mime to the fastest climbing number 1 hit record in history. Burrows sang the song on the programme during his third appearance on the same show with three different groups. It reached number 5 on US pop chart, number 3 in Canada, and number 1 on the UK Singles Chart for five weeks in January and February 1970.
- Anni-Frid Lyngstad covered the song in 1970 as "Där du går lämnar kärleken spår" (Where you go, love leaves traces).
- Uschi Glas covered the song in 1970 in German as "Wenn dein Herz brennt".
- British indie pop band The Siddeleys covered the song on the 1990 compilation "Alvin Lives (In Leeds) - Anti Poll Tax Trax".
- In 1995, Swedish dansband "Distance" (later "Frida & dansbandet") covered the song with lyrics in the Swedish language, as "När du ler" ("When you smile").
- In 2002, the Not Lame Recordings CD Right to Chews -- a collection of modern bands performing cover versions of bubblegum pop songs—included Beagle's version of the song.
- In 2007, Little Man Tate did a cover of this song at their concerts at the Boardwalk, Sheffield and at the Bolton Soundhouse.
- Singer-songwriter Freedy Johnston covered the song on his album Right Between the Promises.
- Guitarist, Mellotron player and Singer-songwriter Les Fradkin covered the song on his album "Perfect World".
In the media
- The song is featured in the closing scenes of the film Shallow Hal. The female lead played by Gwyneth Paltrow was named Rosemary.
- It serves as the musical theme of the film Little Manhattan (wherein the female love interest is also named Rosemary), performed by Freedy Johnston.
- It was featured in a fifth season episode of The Sopranos ("All Happy Families...") during a hit on a female mobster.
- It is referred to in the narration of Reservoir Dogs, as part of the fictional "K-BILLY's Super Sounds of the '70s" radio show, but the song itself is not played.
"Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris
UK Singles Chart number-one single
January 31, 1970 (5 weeks)
"Wand'rin' Star" by Lee Marvin
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Love Grows — may refer to:*Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes), a hit song from the year 1970. *An episode from the Canadian TV show Lexx. : See List of Lexx episodes … Wikipedia
List of number-one singles of 1970 (Ireland) — This is a list of singles which topped the Irish Singles Chart in 1970. Note that prior to 1992, the Irish singles chart was compiled from trade shipments from the labels to record stores, rather than on consumer sales. Issue Date Song Artist 2… … Wikipedia
Edison Lighthouse — Infobox Musical artist Name = Edison Lighthouse Img capt = Background = group or band Origin = United Kingdom Instruments = Vocals, guitars, drums Genre = Pop, MOR Years active = 1970–1971 Label = Bell Records URL = Current members = Past members … Wikipedia
Varèse Sarabande — Infobox record label name = Varèse Sarabande image bg = parent = founded =1978 founder =Tom Null, Chris Kuchler and Scot W. Holton status = distributor =Universal Music Group Fontana Distribution genre = film scores and original cast recordings… … Wikipedia
The Reels — Infobox musical artist Name = The Reels Img capt = The Reels 1988 Background = group or band Origin = Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia Genre = Indie rock Years active = 1991 Label = Mercury Records RCA Records K tel Regular Records URL = Current … Wikipedia
List of performances on Top of the Pops — NOTOC Contents 1960s: 1964 | 1965 | 1966 | 1967 | 1968 | 1969 1970s: 1970 | 1971 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1975 | 1976 | 1977 | 1978 1979 1980s: 1980 | 1981 1982 | 1983 | 1984 1985 | 1986 | 1987 1988 | 1989 1990s: 1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 1994 |… … Wikipedia
1970 in music — Events * Charles Wuorinen, aged 32, becomes the youngest composer ever to win the Pulitzer Prize for Music. * January 3 Davy Jones announces he is leaving the Monkees. Former Pink Floyd frontman Syd Barrett releases his first solo album The… … Wikipedia
Brotherhood of Man — Infobox Musical artist Name = Brotherhood of Man Img capt = Brotherhood of Man in the 1990s Background = group or band Origin = United Kingdom Instruments = Vocals, Guitars Genre = Pop, MOR, Soul Years active = 1969–present Label = Pye, EMI, Dawn … Wikipedia
Barry Mason — John Barry Mason (* 12. Juli 1935 in Wigan, England) ist ein englischer Songschreiber, der in den 1960er Jahren mehrere Gold und Platin Auszeichnungen für seine Arbeiten erhielt. Leben Mason verbrachte seine Kindheit in Blackpool und hegte schon… … Deutsch Wikipedia
One-hit wonders in the United States — A one hit wonder is a Top 40 phenomenon: the combination of artist and song that scores big in the music industry with one smash hit, but is unable to repeat the achievement with another hit. The term can refer to the artist, the song, or both… … Wikipedia