- Substance (New Order album)
Infobox Album |
Name = Substance
Type = Greatest hits
17 August 1987
Recorded = 1981-1987
Genre = Techno, Alternative, House
Length = 146:48
Label = Factory - FACT 200
AllmusicRating|5|5 [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:qh9gs33ba3dg link]
Robert Christgau(A) [http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=new+order link]
Last album = "Brotherhood"
This album = "Substance"
Next album = "Technique"
"Substance" is a 1987 double
compilation albumby New Order, consisting of all of the band's singles at that point in their 12-inch versions, together with their respective B-side tracks. The then newly-released non-album single " True Faith" is also featured, along with its B-side "1963". The collection was released on vinyl, double CD, double cassette and Digital Audio Tape.
While "Substance" presents a sizeable collection of singles, there are many omissions and differences to be found from the original single releases:
* The versions of "Temptation" and "Confusion" were re-recorded in 1987 especially for "Substance" and the original versions do not appear.
* "Ceremony" is the version recorded after
Gillian Gilbertjoined the band. The original trio version — the first New Order recording following the dissolution of Joy Division— would not be re-released until the "Singles" collection in 2005.
* "Procession" and "Murder", despite being A-side singles, are only present on the second B-side half of "Substance".
* "Shellshock" and "Hurt" are both edited by a couple of minutes each on all versions of the album. "The Perfect Kiss" has around 40 seconds edited on the CD version, but the full unedited version is included on the vinyl LP version of the album. The version of "Sub-culture" featured is not the full 12" version. Rather it is an edit that was previously included on Benelux editions of the single.
* "Cries and Whispers" is incorrectly labelled as "Mesh" on all versions, and only on the cassette version does the original "Mesh" actually appear, itself mistitled as "Cries and Whispers" (to add to the confusion, the
iTunes Storerelease, based from the CD version, labels the song "Mesh (Cries and Whispers)").The standard tape version, due to the extra space befitting the format, also contains extra tracks in the form of "Dub-vulture", "Shellcock", and "Bizarre Dub Triangle", as well as the original "Mesh". Only on the limited edition cassette version does "True Dub" appear, as the last track on the second tape. On all cassette versions, "Murder" is after "Thieves Like Us" on the first cassette, whereas on the CD/DAT versions it is a track on the second half of the album.
* "True Dub" is only available on a limited edition version of the "Substance" cassette.
* On all versions, "Cries and Whispers" is mistitled as "Mesh", and vice versa, "Sub-culture" is mistitled as "Subculture" and "The Perfect Kiss" is mistitled as "Perfect Kiss".
A video version of "Substance" appeared in 1989 on
VHS; it was released on LaserDiscin Japan in 1991. The cover is similar to the LP, except "1987" is replaced by "1989" and different background colours are used; the Factory/Qwest release has a grey background, the Japanese VHS release, blue and the LaserDisc, turquoise. The video includes linking sequences which are animated to the accompaniment of instrumental sections from "The Happy One", an otherwise unreleased track from the "Technique" sessions.
Video song listing
#"The Perfect Kiss"
#"Bizarre Love Triangle"
#"Touched by the Hand of God"
#"Blue Monday 1988"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Movement (New Order album) — Movement Studio album by New Order Released 13 November 1981 … Wikipedia
Singles (New Order album) — Infobox Album | Name = Singles Type = Compilation album Artist = New Order Released = 3 October 2005 Recorded = 1980 – 2005 Genre = Dance, pop, electronica Length = 133:32 Label = London Records (international), Rhino Records (U.S.) Producer =… … Wikipedia
Retro (New Order album) — Infobox Album Name = Retro Type = box Artist = New Order Released = start date|2002|12|9 Recorded = 1981–2002 Genre = Rock, house, synthpop Length = 359:06 (five disc version) Label = London Producer = New Order, Martin Hannett, John Robie,… … Wikipedia
BBC Sessions (New Order album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir BBC Sessions. Peel Sessions/BBC Sessions Album par Sortie 1989 Durée 37 min 37 s … Wikipédia en Français
Substance (Joy Division album) — Infobox Album | Name = Substance Type = Compilation album Artist = Joy Division Released = 11 July 1988 | Recorded = Dec 1977 Mar 1980 Genre = Post punk Length = 62:29 Label = Factory FACT 250 Producer = Martin Hannett and Joy Division Reviews =… … Wikipedia
New Order discography — New Order discography Releases ↙Studio albums 8 ↙Live albums 3 … Wikipedia
New Order — Об альбоме группы Testament см. статью The New Order. New Order New … Википедия
New Order — Peter Hook, Stephen Morris y Bernard Sumner Datos generales Origen Mánch … Wikipedia Español
New Order — This article is about the alternative rock/electronic band New Order. For other uses, see New Order (disambiguation). New Order New Order photographed in January 2007; (left to right) Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, and Bernard Sumner … Wikipedia
New Order — Pour les articles homonymes, voir New order (homonymie). New Order … Wikipédia en Français