- Give 'Em Enough Rope
Give 'Em Enough Rope Studio album by The Clash Released 10 November 1978 Recorded May–June 1978 at Basing Street Studios, London; August–September 1978 at The Automatt, San Francisco Genre Punk rock Length 36:57 Label CBS, Epic Producer Sandy Pearlman The Clash chronology The Clash
Give 'Em Enough Rope
Singles from Give 'Em Enough Rope
Give 'Em Enough Rope is the second studio album by the English punk rock band The Clash. It was released on 10 November 1978 through CBS Records. It was their first album released in the United States, preceding the US version of The Clash. The album was well received by critics and fans, peaking at number two in the United Kingdom Albums Chart, and number 128 in the Billboard 200.
The album was voted album of the year for 1978 by Rolling Stone and Time magazines, as well as the popular UK music weekly Sounds which gave it a glowing review upon release, with writer Dave McCullough calling it "swash-buckled heavy-metal" and claiming it to be "The best LP since the last Clash LP, both, I personally feel, transcending anything ever recorded".
The cover was designed by Gene Greif, using a postcard, "End of the Trail", photographed by Adrian Atwater, featuring Wallace Irving Robertson.
The cover of the first US pressings showed the band's name written in block capital letters. Subsequent US pressings used a faux-oriental style font, which was then replaced with the more ornate faux-oriental style font used on the UK release.
The original American issue of the album also retitled "All the Young Punks" as "That's No Way to Spend Your Youth". This was revised on later editions.
Though the opening track of the album's B-side, "Guns On The Roof" is ostensibly a rant about global terrorism, war and corruption, it was partly inspired by an incident that resulted in the Metropolitan Police's armed anti-terrorist squad raiding The Clash's Camden Market base. Paul Simonon and Topper Headon were arrested and charged with criminal damage (and later fined £750) for shooting racing pigeons with an air-gun from the roof of their rehearsal building. The main riff of the song is similar to "I Can't Explain" by The Who. This riff was borrowed heavily in other Clash songs throughout their early 70's oeuvre.
The band's style of including contemporary subjects in their lyrics was continued on the album; "Tommy Gun" deals with the middle east terrorist situation and the hi-jacking of aircraft while "Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad" was a commentary on the infamous "Operation Julie" drug bust that saw the largest LSD production ring in the world, based in Wales dismantled by an undercover police operation. Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad also makes a reference to the popular Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" in the line, "It's Lucy in the sky and all kinds of apple pie."
During recording of the album Joe Strummer's trademark Telecaster guitar needed to be taken in for repairs, so for the bulk of the sessions he played a hired semi-acoustic Gibson ES-345.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Q (12/99, pp.152-3) Robert Christgau (A) Rolling Stone (positive) Rolling Stone Album Guide 
- Q magazine (12/99, pp. 152-3) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...no more punk than Blondie...[it] shined of quality....their drumming problems were over with the arrival of jazz-trained [Topper] Headon."
- Q magazine (5/02 SE, p. 135) - Included in Q's "100 Best Punk Albums".
- NME (10/2/93, p. 29) - Ranked #87 in NME's list of the 'Greatest Albums of All Time'.
Side one No. Title Length 1. "Safe European Home" 3:50 2. "English Civil War" (Traditional; arranged Mick Jones/Joe Strummer) 2:35 3. "Tommy Gun" 3:17 4. "Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad" 3:03 5. "Last Gang in Town" 5:14 Side two No. Title Length 1. "Guns on the Roof" (Topper Headon/Mick Jones/Paul Simonon/Joe Strummer) 3:15 2. "Drug-Stabbing Time" 3:43 3. "Stay Free" 3:40 4. "Cheapskates" 3:25 5. "All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)" 4:55
- Joe Strummer – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Mick Jones – lead guitar, vocals
- Paul Simonon – bass guitar
- Topper Headon – drums
- Sandy Pearlman – producer
- Corky Stasiak – chief engineer
- Paul Subblevine – mastering engineer
- Dennis Ferranti – sound engineer
- Gregg Caruso – sound engineer
- Kevin Dalimore – sound engineer
- Chris Mingo – sound engineer
- Gene Greif – cover designer
- Hugh Brown – concept designer
Year Chart Position 1978 Swedish Albums Chart 36 1978 UK Albums Chart 2 1979 Billboard Pop albums 126
- ^ a b "UK Chart Archive". everyHit.co.uk. Retrieved 17 February 2008.
- ^ a b Marcus, Greil (January 25, 1979). "The Clash Give 'Em Enough Rope > Album Review". Rolling Stone (283). Archived from the original on 29 June 2007. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/give-em-enough-rope-19790125. Retrieved 20 January 2007.
- ^ a b "The Clash > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Retrieved 26 October 2008.
- ^ Letts Don; Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon, Topper Headon, Terry Chimes, Rick Elgood, The Clash (2001). The Clash, Westway to the World (Documentary). New York, NY: Sony Music Entertainment; Dorismo; Uptown Films. Event occurs at 41:00–45:00. ISBN 0738900826. OCLC 49798077.
- ^ Sounds Magazine 17 June 1978
- ^ NME Magazine 16 March 1991
- ^ Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Give 'Em Enough Rope at Allmusic. Retrieved 13 September 2004.
- ^ Christgau, Robert. "The Clash > Consumer Guide Reviews". Robert Christgau. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=The+Clash. Retrieved 11 June 2007.
- ^ Brackett, Nathan with Hoard, Christian, eds (2004). "The Clash". The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. London: Fireside. pp. 167-168. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8. http://books.google.com/books?id=t9eocwUfoSoC&lpg=PA168&vq=london%20calling&pg=PA167#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved 24 September 2011. Portions posted at "The Clash > Album Guide". rollingstone.com. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/the-clash/albumguide. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- ^ "Discography The Clash". SwedishCharts.com. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- Gilbert, Pat (2005) . Passion Is a Fashion: The Real Story of The Clash (4th edition ed.). London: Aurum Press. ISBN 1845131134. OCLC 61177239.
- Gray, Marcus (2005) . The Clash: Return of the Last Gang in Town (5th revised edition ed.). London: Helter Skelter. ISBN 1905139101. OCLC 60668626.
- Green, Johnny; Garry Barker (2003) . A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with The Clash (3rd edition ed.). London: Orion. ISBN 0752858432. OCLC 52990890.
- Gruen, Bob; Chris Salewicz (2004) . The Clash (3rd edition ed.). London: Omnibus. ISBN 1903399343. OCLC 69241279.
- Needs, Kris (2005-01-25). Joe Strummer and the Legend of the Clash. London: Plexus. ISBN 085965348X. OCLC 53155325.
- Topping, Keith (2004) . The Complete Clash (2nd edition ed.). Richmond: Reynolds & Hearn. ISBN 1903111706. OCLC 63129186.
The Clash Studio albums Live albumsFrom Here to Eternity: Live · Live at Bond's Casino · Live at Shea Stadium Compilations Extended plays Singles"White Riot" · "Remote Control" · "Complete Control" · "Clash City Rockers" · "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" · "Tommy Gun" · "English Civil War" · "I Fought the Law" · "Groovy Times" · "London Calling" · "Clampdown" · "Train in Vain" · "Bankrobber" · "The Call Up" · "Hitsville UK" · "The Magnificent Seven" · "This Is Radio Clash" · "Know Your Rights" · "Should I Stay or Should I Go" · "Rock the Casbah" · "Straight to Hell" · "This Is England" · "Return to Brixton" Video albums
RelatedListsDiscography · Songs · The Clash on film · MembersMusical
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Give 'Em Enough Rope — Album par The Clash Sortie 10 novembre 1978 Enregistrement 1978 Durée 36 min 57 s Genre Punk rock … Wikipédia en Français
Give 'Em Enough Rope — Álbum de estudio de The Clash Publicación 10 de noviembre de 1978 Grabación Junio Julio de 1978 Género(s) Punk rock … Wikipedia Español
Give ’Em Enough Rope — Studioalbum von The Clash Veröffentlichung 1978 Labels CBS Records Epic … Deutsch Wikipedia
Give 'Em Enough Rope — Альбом The Clash Дата выпуска … Википедия
Give \'Em Enough Rope — Альбом The Clash Дата выпуска 10 ноября … Википедия
Give ’Em Enough Rope — Студийный аль … Википедия
give someone enough rope — If you give someone enough rope, you give them the chance to get themselves into trouble or expose themselves. (The full form is give someone enough rope and they ll hang themselves) … The small dictionary of idiomes
give someone enough rope — give (someone) enough rope (to hang (themselves)) to allow someone to do what they want to, knowing that they will probably fail or get into trouble. I let him speak on, knowing that he would offend the director, and gave him just enough rope … New idioms dictionary
give somebody enough rope — give sb enough ˈrope idiom to allow sb freedom to do what they want, especially in the hope that they will make a mistake or look silly • The question was vague, giving the interviewee enough rope to hang herself. Main entry: ↑ropeidiom … Useful english dictionary
Give 'Em Enough Rope — The Clash – Give ’Em Enough Rope Veröffentlichung 1978 Label CBS Records Epic Records (USA) Format(e) CD, LP Genre(s) Punk Rock Anzahl der Titel 10 … Deutsch Wikipedia