- Richard Caddel
Richard Caddel (
July 13, 1949- April 1, 2003) was a poet, publisher and editor who was a key figure in the British Poetry Revival.
Caddel was born in
Bedfordand grew up in Gillingham, Kent. He studied music at the University of Newcastle, but changed to English after meeting poets Basil Buntingand Tom Pickard. He helped Tom and Connie Pickard organise the seminal Morden Towerpoetry readings.
Caddel's work was influenced by Bunting, by the Americans
Lorine Niedecker, Louis Zukofsky, Robert Creeleyand William Carlos Williams, and by the English landscape tradition as represented by John Clare.
He published a number of small pamphlets, most of which were collected in three books; "Sweet Cicely" (1983), "Uncertain Time" (1990) and "Larksong Signal" (1997) A volume of selected poems, "Magpie Words", appeared in 2002. His final book, "Writing In The Dark", was published in late 2003.
Caddel edited Bunting's "Uncollected Poems" in 1991 and his "Complete Poems" in 1994. With
Peter Quartermain, he edited the anthology "Other: British And Irish Poetry Since 1970" (1998). He served as Director of the Basil Bunting Poetry Centreat Durham Universityfor a number of years up to his death.A lifelong asthmatic, Caddel died of leukaemiaon April 1, 2003.
* "Heron", Makaris, 1973.
* "Quiet Alchemy", Ceolfrith Press, 1976.
* "Burnt Aces and the Shangri-Las", Ceolfrith Press, 1978.
* "Baby Days and Moon Diaries", Galloping Dog Press, 1979.
* "Shelter", Oasis Books, 1979.
* "A Short Climate-Atlas of the Soul", Figs, 1982.
* "Sweet Cicely: New and Selected Poems", Taxus Press, 1983
* "Summer Poems", Taxus Press, 1986.
* "Fantasia in the English Choral Tradition", Slug Press, 1986.
* "Against Numerology", North and South, 1988.
* "Uncertain Time", Galloping Dog Press, 1990.
* "The Wire Book", X Press, 1977.
* "Wine Tales", with
Lee Harwood, Galloping Dog Press, 1984.
* "Deadly Sins", Taxus Press, 1984.
* "Blocks from the Collection of Roger Tomlin", Arc Press, 1979.
* "Pete Laver: Offcomers", Pig Press, 1985.
* "Basil Bunting: A Note on Briggflatts", Basil Bunting Poetry Archive, 1989.
* "Twenty-Six New British Poets", New American Writing, 1991.
* "Basil Bunting: Uncollected Poems", Oxford University Press, 1991.
* "The Complete Poems: Basil Bunting", Oxford University Press (Oxford, England), 1994.
* "Other: British and Irish Poetry Since 1970", with
Peter Quartermain, University Press of New England (Hanover, NH), 1999.
* [http://www.shampoopoetry.com/ShampooFive/caddel.html A poem]
* [http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,939109,00.html Obituary in the Guardian]
* [http://jacketmagazine.com/22/caddel.html In memoriam Richard Caddel, at Jacket magazine]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
British Poetry Revival — The British Poetry Revival is the general name given to a loose poetic movement in Britain that took place in the 1960s and 1970s. The Revival was a modernist inspired reaction to the Movement s more conservative approach to British… … Wikipedia
Objectivist poets — The Objectivist poets were a loose knit group of second generation Modernists who emerged in the 1930s. They were mainly American and were influenced by, amongst others, Ezra Pound and William Carlos Williams. The basic tenets of Objectivist… … Wikipedia
Y Gododdin — Une page du Livre d Aneirin Y Gododdin est un poème médiéval gallois. Il est constitué d une série d élégies aux hommes du royaume des Gododdin et à leurs alliés morts en combattant, selon l interprétation la plus courante, les Angles de Deira et … Wikipédia en Français
Durham — For the U.S. city, see Durham, North Carolina. For other uses, see Durham (disambiguation). Coordinates: 54°46′34″N 1°34′24″W / 54.7761°N 1.5733°W … Wikipedia
1999 in poetry — yearbox2 in?=in poetry in2?=in literature cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1996 yp2=1997 yp3=1998 year=1999 ya1=2000 ya2=2001 ya3=2002 dp3=1960s dp2=1970s dp1=1980s d=1990s da=0 dn1=2000s dn2=2010s dn3=2020s|Events* July 1… … Wikipedia
Other: British and Irish Poetry since 1970 — is a poetry anthology edited by Richard Caddel and Peter Quartermain, and published in 1999 by Wesleyan University Press. According to the Introduction One purpose of this anthology is ... to uncover what ... The Movement ... helped to bury. It… … Wikipedia
List of English language poets — Poets who wrote or write much of their poetry in the English language.This is a list of English language poets. People on this list should have articles of their own, and should meet the for their poetry. Please place names on the list only if… … Wikipedia
List of Newcastle University people — This article is a list of people who spent time at Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, as either a student or teacher. This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help… … Wikipedia
Leszek Engelking — Varsovia, 25 de junio de 2009. Leszek Engelking (Bytom, 2 de febrero de 1955), es un poeta, escritor, historiador de la literatura, critico literar … Wikipedia Español
Basil Bunting — Basil Cheesman Bunting (3 March 1900 – 17 April 1985) was a British modernist poet. He had a lifelong interest in music that led him to emphasise the sonic qualities of poetry, particularly the importance of reading poetry aloud. He was an… … Wikipedia