- Solaris (2002 film)
name =Solaris (2002)
George Clooney Natascha McElhone Viola Davis
editing = Steven Soderbergh
20th Century Fox
released = start date|2002|11|29 (USA)
runtime = 99 min
language = English
budget = $47,000,000 (estimated)
amg_id = 1:267569
imdb_id = 0307479
"Solaris" is a 2002 film directed by
Steven Soderberghand starring George Clooney.
Chris Kelvin is played by
George Clooneyand Rheya by Natascha McElhone. Similar to the Tarkovsky film, this version of "Solaris" is a meditative psychodramaset almost entirely on a space station, adding flashbacks to the previous experiences of its main characters on Earth.
A psychiatrist still dealing with the loss of his wife, Chris Kelvin receives a disturbing video message from a friend and scientist, Gibarian, asking for Chris' help and that he come to the enigmatic ocean world, Solaris. He agrees to go on the mission to Solaris as a last attempt to recover the crew. Kelvin, arriving at the space station, quickly learns that members of the crew have died (or even disappeared) under mysterious circumstances with the only two surviving members reluctant to explain the cause. After shockingly encountering his dead wife alive again, Chris discovers that Solaris has been creating physical replications of people familiar to each crew member. Up until the end, Chris struggles with the questions of Solaris's motivation, his beliefs and memories, and reconciling what was lost with an opportunity for a second chance.
Director Steven Soderbergh admits (on the DVD commentary track) that marketing was a challenge. The movie's trailer depicted a science fiction love story (or thriller) and may have raised expectations among potential film-goers that were not met, grossing $15 million (against an estimated $47 million budget). [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/business]
The " [http://www.timeout.com/film/newyork/reviews/74916/Solaris.html Time Out Film Guide] " describes this version as superior to the Tarkovsky version. However, the overall critical reception and popular votes do not share this opinion.
Rotten Tomatoesgave the film a 64% fresh approval rating which is a positive score but far from that of the Tarkovsky's adaptation, which earned a 97% rating. The Internet Movie Databaseuser ratings (as of April 2008) for the two versions are 6.2 and 8.2, respectively.
Soderbergh, on the DVD commentary he did with
James Cameronfor "Solaris", states that Stanisław Lemnever saw the film (or any film since " Last Tango in Paris"), but claims that friends of Lem who had seen Soderbergh's version liked it.
Lem himself called Soderbergh's film a "remake of the Tarkovski movie", and criticized it as departing far from his original intentions in writing the novel by focusing almost exclusively on the psychological relationship between the two main characters:
* The initial test screening ran 30 minutes longer, but was cut down due to negative studio feedback. Soderbergh has hinted that an Extended Edition might be released someday, depending on interest.
James Cameroninitially considered writing and directing but instead produced.
Daniel Day-Lewiswas asked to star but turned the role down.
* The film was selected to be " [http://www.videostoremag.com/insidevsm/scripts/photo_page.cfm?groupid=193 launched into space] " in 2003 by Team Encounter.
* The film was originally given an R rating by the MPAA primarily due to minor nudity. Steven Soderbergh appealed the decision, won the appeal and the movie was granted a PG-13 rating.
And death shall have no dominionby Dylan Thomasfeatures significantly in the film.
* In an early script, the film takes place after: 11/14/31. It's not specified which year in the near future, but there is a possibility for 2031, 2131, etc.
* The DVD version of the film contains a copy of the script in play-form. It is feasible to produce the film as a stage production with minimal sets and design.
* Steven Soderbergh is quoted saying that if the audience does not enjoy the first ten minutes of the film then they might as well leave.
* [http://www.galilean-library.org/manuscript.php?postid=43847 In-depth analysis of the film at the Galilean Library]
* [http://www.lem.pl/english/kiosk/kiosk.htm#solstation Lem's comment on the 2002 version]
* [http://www.ricksternbach.com/kris.html Rick Sternbach's graphic designs for Solaris]
* [http://www.timeout.com/film/74916.html Time Out Film Review of Solaris]
* [http://futurefire.net/2005.02/nonfiction/solyaris.html Comparative review of "Solaris" book and two films] in
The Future Fire2
* [http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20021122/REVIEWS/211220307/1023 Roger Ebert's review]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Solaris (1972 film) — Infobox Film | name =Solaris caption = Soviet film poster director = Andrei Tarkovsky producer = Viacheslav Tarasov writer = Fridrikh Gorenshtein Andrei Tarkovsky based on the novel by Stanisław Lem starring =Natalya Bondarchuk Donatas Banionis… … Wikipedia
Solaris (2002) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Solaris Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Solaris — may refer to:* Solaris (novel), a science fiction novel by Stanisław Lem * Solaris (operating system) from Sun MicrosystemsSolaris may also refer to:In fiction:* Solaris (1972 film), inspired by the Lem novel, directed by Andrei Tarkovsky *… … Wikipedia
Solaris (film) — There are two films made with the title Solaris (both based on the same novel) : * Solaris (1972 film) * Solaris (2002 film) … Wikipedia
Solaris (film, 2002) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Solaris. Solaris est un film américain réalisé par Steven Soderbergh, sorti en 2002, inspiré du roman éponyme de Stanislas Lem et du film d Andreï Tarkovski de 1972. Sommaire 1 Synopsis … Wikipédia en Français
Solaris (1972) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Solaris Originaltitel Солярис (Soljaris) P … Deutsch Wikipedia
Solaris — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « solaris », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) Solaris est un mot latin qui signifie… … Wikipédia en Français
2002 au cinÃ©ma — 2002 au cinéma Années : 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 Décennies : 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010 2020 2030 Siècles : XXe siècle … Wikipédia en Français
Solaris (novel) — infobox Book | name = Solaris title orig = translator = image caption = Cover by Oscar Chichoni for the Spanish edition author = Stanisław Lem illustrator = cover artist = country = Poland language = Polish series = genre = Science Fiction, Novel … Wikipedia
Solaris (film, 1972) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Solaris. Solaris (en cyrillique Солярис) est le troisième long métrage d Andreï Tarkovski, sorti en 1972, inspiré du roman éponyme de Stanislas Lem. Sommaire 1 Résumé … Wikipédia en Français