- Merge Records
Merge Records Founded 1989 Founder Laura Ballance
Distributor(s) ADA Genre Indie rock Country of origin United States Location Durham, North Carolina Official Website mergerecords.com
Merge Records is an independent record label based in Durham, North Carolina. It was founded in 1989 by Laura Ballance and Mac McCaughan. It began as a way to release music from their band Superchunk and music created by friends, and has expanded to include artists from around the world and records reaching the top of the Billboard music charts.
After releasing a number of 7" records and cassettes, the first Merge Records full-length CD release came on April 1, 1992 with MRG020 Superchunk - Tossing Seeds, the band's first collection of singles.
The label's first album to reach the USA Billboard 200 was the Arcade Fire's Funeral, a 2004 release. Arcade Fire gave the label its then highest-charting release with their follow-up, 2007's Neon Bible, which debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, and, later, reaching #1 with their third album, 2010's The Suburbs. Other Billboard Top Ten releases include Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Transference, along with She & Him's (actress/musician Zooey Deschanel along with M. Ward, a popular Merge folk musician) Volume Two. Other notable Merge releases include Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, The Magnetic Fields's 69 Love Songs, Caribou's Polaris Prize-winning Andorra, M. Ward's Hold Time, Camera Obscura's Let's Get Out of This Country, and She & Him's Volume One.
In February 2009, due to adverse market conditions it was announced that Touch and Go Records would no longer manufacture and distribute records for Merge and many other independent record labels; Merge had been "under the Touch and Go umbrella" ever since its 1992 release of Tossing Seeds. Merge quickly reached an agreement with the Alternative Distribution Alliance to continue distribution of its releases.
In September 2009, Algonquin Paperbacks released Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, a book chronicling the label's history. This followed a 6-day music festival in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, NC, featuring over 40 Merge acts from around the world celebrating the 20th anniversary of the label's first release. The label also released a subscription-only 17-disc box set SCORE! 20 Years of Merge Records throughout the 20th anniversary year curated by pop culture tastemakers the likes of David Byrne, Amy Poehler, Zach Galifianakis, Jonathan Lethem, Peter Buck, David Chang, Mindy Kaling and more, with all proceeds going to charities.
In August 2010, Merge Records released Arcade Fire's The Suburbs to critical acclaim, preceding the band's headlining appearance at Lollapalooza. The album went straight to number one on the US and UK charts. Famed director and Monty Python member Terry Gilliam also directed a live online broadcast of the bands's concert from the historic Madison Square Garden in New York following the album's release, which was streamed live by an estimated 1.8 million unique viewers. The Suburbs won the Grammy for Album of the Year in February, 2011.
- ^ "Pitchfork e-zine tells indie fans what's hot and not | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper". The Honolulu Advertiser. 2005-05-08. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/May/08/il/il22p.html. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=32547263[dead link]
- ^ "Arcade Fire And Taylor Swift Sweep In With New No. 1s". Billboard.biz. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/charts/chart_alert/e3i4b7c0879c181d50b19f05d4b90c9c2f2. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Pitchfork says: Touch and Go Records will stop releasing new music. | WKNC 88.1 FM Raleigh". Wknc.org. http://wknc.org/blog/post/2333/pitchfork-says-touch-and-go-records-will-stop-releasing-new-music/. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "On the Beat: David Menconi on music - The record business implosion is touch and go | newsobserver.com blogs". Blogs.newsobserver.com. 2009-02-19. http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/the-record-business-implosion-is-touch-and-go. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ February 18, 2009 (2009-02-18). "Touch and Go to cut staff, distribution services | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/02/touch-go-to-cut.html. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ Code18 Interactive. "Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records". Ournoisethebook.com. http://www.ournoisethebook.com/. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ Malitz, David. "XX Merge: The Definitive List of 20 Things to Know - Post Rock". Voices.washingtonpost.com. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/07/xx_merge_the_definitive_list_o.html. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Merge Records SCORE! Merge is 20!". Mergerecords.com. http://www.mergerecords.com/score/details/. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Merge Records News". Mergerecords.com. http://mergerecords.com/news.php?month=Jan+2009#427. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Telekinesis: Telekinesis!". Merge Records. http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=600&link=sidebarLink-home. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Merge Records — Fundación 1989 Fundador(es) Laura Ballance Mac McCaughan Distribuidor ADA Género(s) indie rock Paí … Wikipedia Español
Merge Records — Merge Aktive Jahre seit 1989 Gründer Mac McCaughan, Laura Ballance Sitz Durham, North Carolina, USA Website http://www.mergerecords.com/ Labelcode MRG … Deutsch Wikipedia
Merge Records — est un label indépendant américain, créé en 1989 par Laura Ballance et Mac McCaughan à Chapel Hill (Caroline du Nord). Il est à présent basé à Durham, dans le même État. Le label fut originellement destiné à produire Superchunk, le groupe des… … Wikipédia en Français
Merge Records discography — Contents 1 1989–2000 2 Since 2000 3 20th anniversary compilation … Wikipedia
Merge — See Help:Merging for the usage of Merge in Wikipedia. Contents 1 Concepts 2 Computer science 3 Music … Wikipedia
Merge — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Merge », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) Merge Records est un label indépendant… … Wikipédia en Français
Merge sort — Example of merge sort sorting a list of random dots. Class Sorting algorithm Data structure Array Worst case performance O(n log n) … Wikipedia
Merge (SQL) — A relational database management system uses SQL MERGE (upsert) statements to INSERT new records or UPDATE existing records depending on whether or not a condition matches. It was officially introduced in the SQL:2008 standard. Contents 1 Usage 2 … Wikipedia
Matador Records — es un influyente sello musical estadounidense, famoso por editar a un buen puñado de bandas indies muy respetadas. Matador fue fundado por Chris Lombardi en 1989 en su apartamento en Nueva York. Al año siguiente, el manager original de Homestead… … Wikipedia Español
Mainframe sort merge — The Sort/Merge utility is a mainframe program to sort records in a file into a specified order, merge pre sorted files into a sorted file, or copy selected records. Internally, these utilities use one or more of the standard sorting algorithms,… … Wikipedia