- Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
"Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" is a popular poem for children written by American writer and poet Eugene Field and published on March 9, 1889. The original title was Dutch Lullaby.
The poem is a fantasy bed-time story of three fishermen sailing and fishing in the stars. Their boat is a wooden shoe. The fishermen symbolize a sleepy child's blinking eyes and nodding head.
Its lyrical structure has availed itself to musicians: Ethelbert Woodbridge Nevin the American pianist and composer wrote a piano setting, and musical versions have been recorded by The Big 3 featuring Cass Elliot (1963), the Simon Sisters (1964), by Donovan on his children's album H.M.S. Donovan (1971), by Buffy Saint-Marie who sang a version on Sesame Street in 1975, and on her album Sweet America (1976). and by The Doobie Brothers (1981).
References in other artistic works
- Disney made the cartoon for Wynken, Blynken and Nod (film) in 1938 which stylized the fishermen of the poem as three pajama-clad children playing among the stars. In 1971, Weston Woods based a cartoon on the poem.
- Canadian children's entertainer Fred Penner included a version on his 1992 album The Cat Came Back.
- The three smokestacks of the Lansing Board of Water & Light in Lansing, Michigan, are known locally as Wynken, Blynken and Nod after the poem.
- Shel Silverstein created a poem, "Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too" who went for a ride in a flying shoe.
- In the episode "Opie the Birdman" of The Andy Griffith Show, Opie names three baby birds Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.
- Three of the original Dreadnoks in G.I. Joe are named Tom Winken (Torch), Richard Blinken-Smythe (Buzzer), and Harry Nod (Ripper).
- Tatiana Cameron sings it in her lullaby album A Chance to Dream.
- Ryan Fraley, contemporary composer, wrote a piece for school bands entitled "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" as part of a trio of songs based on stories in "A Child's Garden of Verses".
- The Doobie Brothers recorded a version for the children's music compilation In Harmony in 1980.
- Wynken, Blynken and Nod appeared briefly as gas-mask-wearing tricycle-riding villains in the Doom Patrol comic book.
- In her essay "The Ladle," Cynthia Ozick makes reference to Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.
- In the series Willa's Wild Life there are three Chinstrap Penguins named Inky, Blinky, and Bob. Their names being direct references to Wynken, Blynken and Nod
- In Titanic (1997 film), a mother in steerage recites the poem to her children, getting them to fall asleep as the ship slowly sinks.
- In Disney's Toontown Online, there is a building named "Wynken, Blynken, & Nod, Attorneys at Law".
- In the song "Justify the Thrill" by Blues Traveler the first line of lyrics make reference to Blynken & Nod.
- ^ Mabel Landrum's original sculpture was exhibited to critical acclaim at the Art Institute of Chicago, Torrey presented her sculpture to Denver Mayor Robert W. Speer who commissioned a marble version in 1918. A bronze copy dedicated on September 23, 1938 in memory of Elizabeth Cameron Bailey is a fountain on the Green in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania.
- ^ Donovan recorded it again for his 2002 children's album Pied Piper.
- Read the poem here 
- The Wellsboro, PA Chamber of Commerce - History of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
- The Denver Park People - Wynken, Blynken & Nod Sculpture
- A Little Book of Western Verse
- Disney's Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
- Text of Wynken, Blynken and Nod with Maxfield Parrish illustration
- Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, Knox College's children's and young adult literary publication
- Books and Posters of Wynken, Blynken & Nod
- The Duel, aka The Gingham Dog and The Calico Cat hear song version of the poem
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wynken, Blynken and Nod — Au pays des étoiles Au pays des étoiles est un court métrage d animation américain de la série des Silly Symphonies, réalisé par Graham Heid, produit par Walt Disney, pour RKO Radio Pictures, sorti le 27 mai 1938. L histoire se base sur … Wikipédia en Français
Wynken, Blynken & Nod — Au pays des étoiles Au pays des étoiles est un court métrage d animation américain de la série des Silly Symphonies, réalisé par Graham Heid, produit par Walt Disney, pour RKO Radio Pictures, sorti le 27 mai 1938. L histoire se base sur … Wikipédia en Français
NOD — NOD, Nod, or nod may refer to Nod (gesture), a gesture of the head Nod, of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod Nod factor (nodulation factor), signalling molecules produced by rhizobia during the initiation of nodules on the root of legumes Nation of… … Wikipedia
The Simon Sisters Sing the Lobster Quadrille and Other Songs for Children — Infobox Album Name = The Simon Sisters Sing The Lobster Quadrille And Other Songs For Childre Type = studio Longtype = Artist = The Simon Sisters Released = 1969 Recorded = Genre = Length = Label = Producer = Reviews = Last album = This album =… … Wikipedia
Au pays des étoiles — est un court métrage d animation américain de la série des Silly Symphonies, réalisé par Graham Heid, produit par Walt Disney, pour RKO Radio Pictures, sorti le 27 mai 1938. L histoire se base sur le poème d Eugene Field, A Dutch… … Wikipédia en Français
Sally Hamlin — (born Sarah Emery Hamlin, 1902, Brooklyn, New York, USA) was a child actor and recording artist. She was the daughter of Dr. Cyrus E. Hamlin and Hattie Bennion; also the great granddaughter of former U.S. Vice President Hannibal Hamlin. She is a… … Wikipedia
Eugene Field — Infobox Person name = Eugene Field, Sr. image size = 200px caption = Eugene Field birth date = birth date|1850|9|2|mf=y birth place = St. Louis, Missouri death date = death date and age|1895|11|4|1850|9|2|mf=y death place = Chicago, Illinois… … Wikipedia
Pied Piper (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Pied Piper Type = Album Artist = Donovan Released = March 19 2002 Recorded = 2001 – 2002 Genre = folk Length = 49:09 Label = Rhino Records Donovan Discs Producer = Leib Ostrow Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|2.5|5… … Wikipedia
Silly Symphonies — (traducido como Sinfonías tontas) fue una serie de cortometrajes animados producidos por Walt Disney Productions entre 1929 y 1939. A diferencia de las series de Mickey Mouse, Silly Symphonies no usaba personajes continuos. El pato Donald tuvo su … Wikipedia Español
Eugene Field — (1885) … Deutsch Wikipedia