- Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush song)
"Don't Give Up" Single by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush from the album So B-side "In Your Eyes (Special Mix)", "This is the picture" (UK); "Curtains" (USA) Released October 1986 Format 7" Single, 12" Single Recorded 1985 Genre Soft rock Length 5:55 Label Geffen Records Writer(s) Peter Gabriel Producer Daniel Lanois and Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel singles chronology "Sledgehammer"
"Don't Give Up"
Kate Bush singles chronology "The Big Sky"
"Don't Give Up"
Music sampleDon't Give Up
"Don't Give Up" is song written by Peter Gabriel and recorded as a duet with Kate Bush for Gabriel's album So. The single version spent eleven weeks in the UK Top 75 chart in 1986, peaking at number nine. It describes the despair of a man who feels isolated and defeated by the economic system, and the support and wise counsel sung in the refrain. There were two videos created for this song by Godley & Creme. The first consisted of a single take of the singers in an embrace, as the sun enters total eclipse and re-emerges. The second featured Gabriel and Bush's faces superimposed over film of a town and its people in disrepair.
- Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush version
All songs written by Gabriel.
- "Don't Give Up"
- "In Your Eyes (Special Mix)"
- "This is the picture"
- "Don't Give Up"(LP version)
- "Don't Give Up"(edit)
Limited Edition 7" poster sleeve
- "Don't Give Up"
- "In Your Eyes (Special Mix)"
Irish Singles Chart 4 Dutch Single Top 100 5 Australian Singles Chart 5 U.K. Singles Chart 9 New Zealand Singles Chart 16 German Singles Chart 27 Canadian Singles Chart 40 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart 72
"Don't Give Up" Single by Shannon Noll & Natalie Bassingthwaighte from the album Home: Songs of Hope & Journey Released 9 December 2006 Format CD single, download Recorded 2006 Genre Pop Length 4:39 Label Sony BMG Shannon Noll singles chronology "Lonely"
"Don't Give Up"
Natalie Bassingthwaighte singles chronology "Don't Give Up"
Peter Gabriel and Paula Cole version
Peter Gabriel and Tracy Chapman version
Peter Gabriel and Ane Brun version
Máire Brennan and Michael McDonald version
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte version
A cover version was recorded by Australian artist Shannon Noll and former Rogue Traders frontwoman Natalie Bassingthwaighte. It was recorded for the compilation Home: Songs of Hope & Journey. It was released as a charity single for the depression organisation beyondblue. It was the most added song to Australian radio in its first week. It made its debut at number seven on the Australian Singles Chart, and, in its second week, climbed to number two with a Platinum certification. The song was also performed live on the fifth season of Dancing With The Stars. The music video features Noll and Bassingthwaighte in the studio recording the single.
Willie Nelson & Sinéad O'Connor version
It was reported that funds raised by sales of the single were in excess of $300,000.
- Track listing
- "Don't Give Up"
- "Don't Give Up" (Instrumental)
Alicia Keys and Bono version
In December 2005, R&B vocalist Alicia Keys and U2 frontman Bono recorded a version entitled "Don't Give Up (Africa)" for World AIDS Day. The single was released exclusively to iTunes and a ringtone version was released by Cingular Wireless; the proceeds of both going to the charity Keep a Child Alive, for which Keys is a spokesperson.
Other artists who have covered this song
"Don't Give Up" Single by Shark and Co. & Cindy Wasserman Released 4 November 2008 Format CD single, download Recorded 2008 Genre Country, folk Length 5:39 Label Magnetic Memories Recording Co. Producer John Would and Shark Shark and Co. singles chronology "Don't Give Up"
"Don't Give Up EP"
- The Shadows did an instrumental of the song on the album "Simply Shadows" in 1987.
- Gregorian and Sarah Brightman covered this song, and it is found in Brightman's "The Harem Tour" Limited Edition and Gregorian's "Masters of Chant" albums.
- Jody Watley recorded the song for her Midnight Lounge album in 2001.
- Show of Hands included a cover of this song on their album Covers
- Xavier Naidoo covered the song on the Zwischenspiel/Alles für den Herrn album in 2002.
- Take 6 recorded an A cappella version of the song on their album of covers "Beautiful World" in 2002.
- Senegalese singer/guitarist Jimi Mbaye covered the song on his 2005 album "Yaye Digalma"
- Tara MacLean covered the song on the Songs For Sunset album in 2006.
- The song-writer/guitarist Shark from Wild Colonials and Dead Rock West singer Cindy Wasserman released the song in 2008. The proceeds of the record going to the charities Farm Aid and the Red Cross, to help the farmers affected by the floods of 2008. The sleeve design is an homage to the original Peter Gabriel / Kate Bush sleeve with similar typography.
- In November 2008, Tina Arena and former Tea Party frontman Jeff Martin performed a live cover of "Don't Give Up" during an episode of Australian quiz show RocKwiz.
- In May 2009, a version by The Midway State featuring Lady Gaga appeared online. According to Lady GaGa the cover was done so "that young people would hear and learn something about Kate Bush." 
- P!nk and John Legend cover the song for Herbie Hancock’s The Imagine Project.
- Dutch singer Chielie(.nl) (uncredited) sang the Gabriel part on a cover of the song (Bush part sung by also uncredited unknown female singer - Chielie and she never met for the recording but did their work separately) produced at Flowerhouse Studios of Haarlem, Holland, on a CD called 'Duet for lovers' (90.807-2 UK), released 1994 by PMF Records.
- Tarja Turunen covered the song, alongside Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes) on the European leg of her, What Lies Beneath Tour.
Usage in film and television and books
- This song was used during the end credits of the Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie thriller The Bone Collector, based on the novel of the same name by Jeffery Deaver.
- It was also used in the end of the NBC made-for-TV movie Perfect Body.
- It was also used in the Miami Vice episode "Redemption in Blood" in which Crockett (Don Johnson) recovers from a case of amnesia.
- A Kids Incorporated episode from 1989 featured Kenny Ford and Jennifer Love Hewitt providing vocals.
- Song was used in the closing credits of the surfing movie In God's Hands.
- It was also used in Cold Case TV series episode no 117 .
- The group Take That by a majority vote chose the song for their entry for the 2009 book Inspired* By Music. The book which raises money for Prince's Trust consists of famous people listing songs that inspired them.
Chart (2006)1 Peak
Australian ARIA Singles Chart 2 ARIA Australasian Singles Chart 1 Australian Airplay Chart 1
- 1 Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVrtzxeRw4
- ^ SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT -- Australia -- CD Releases
- ^ Lady Gaga covers Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel with Canadian Rockers Spinner 23 June 2009
- ^ Celebrities name songs that inspire them The Telegraph 7 July 2009
- ^ "Australian chart position". australian-charts. http://www.australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Shannon+Noll+%26+Natalie+Bassingthwaighte&titel=Don%27t+Give+Up&cat=s. Retrieved 12 December 2006.
Studio albums Live albumsPlays Live • Plays Live Highlights • Secret World Live Soundtracks Compilations Films German albums Other Kate Bush Studio albums Extended plays Live albums
Videos Singles"Wuthering Heights" · "The Man with the Child in His Eyes" · "Them Heavy People" · "Moving" · "Hammer Horror" · "Wow" · "Symphony in Blue" · "Strange Phenomena" · "Breathing" · "Babooshka" · "Army Dreamers" · "December Will Be Magic Again" · "Sat in Your Lap" · "The Dreaming" · "There Goes a Tenner" · "Suspended in Gaffa" · "Ne t'enfuis pas" · "Night of the Swallow" · "Running Up that Hill" · "Cloudbusting" · "Hounds of Love" · "The Big Sky" · "Don't Give Up" · "Experiment IV" · "The Sensual World" · "This Woman's Work" · "Love and Anger" · "Rocket Man" · "Rubberband Girl" · "Eat the Music" · "Moments of Pleasure" · "The Red Shoes" · "The Man I Love" · "And So Is Love" · "King of the Mountain" · "Lyra" · "Deeper Understanding" · "Wild Man" Related articles Studio albums CompilationsNo Turning Back: The Story So Far • What Matters the Most (UK album) Singles Related topics Natalie Bassingthwaighte Studio albums1000 Stars (2009) Singles Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Don't Give Up — may refer to: Don t Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush song) Don t Give Up (Chicane song), featuring Bryan Adams Don t Give Up (Ira Losco song) Don t Give Up (Noisettes song) Don t Give Up (Sanctus Real song), a song by Sanctus Real Don t Give… … Wikipedia
Kate Bush — Infobox musical artist Name = Kate Bush Img capt = Kate Bush about to perform at Comic Relief 1986 Img size = 174 Background = solo singer Birth name = Catherine Bush Born = birth date and age|1958|07|30|df=yes Bexleyheath, Kent, England Died =… … Wikipedia
Peter Gabriel — Infobox Musical artist Name = Peter Gabriel Img capt = Peter Gabriel at Chateau Neuf, Oslo, Norway, 31 August 1978. Photo: Helge Øverås Background = solo singer Born = Birth date and age|1950|2|13|df=yes Origin = Chobham, Surrey, England… … Wikipedia
Peter Gabriel — 2008 bei der Quadriga Verleihung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kate Bush — Kate Bush, 1986 Kate Bush (* 30. Juli 1958 in Bexleyheath, Kent, England; eigentlich Catherine Bush) ist eine britische Sängerin, Pianistin und Songwriterin. Zu ihren bekanntesten Liedern gehören Wuthering Heights, Babooshka und Running Up That… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Durrus and District History Modern — Durrus is an area of West Cork in Ireland. For earlier history, see Durrus and District History1900 2000 James Gilhooley M.P. and Elections 1910James Gilhooley MP (he had been a merchant in Bantry, and was jailed on a number of occaasions under… … Wikipedia
Saison 2 de X Factor — Vainqueur Matthew Raymond Barker Gain Signature d un contrat avec une grande maison de disques Pro … Wikipédia en Français
Shannon Noll — Infobox Musical artist Name = Shannon Noll |200px Img size = 200 Background = solo singer Birth name = Born = birth date and age|1975|09|16 Died = Origin = Condobolin, New South Wales, Australia Instrument = Genre = Pop, Rock Occupation = Singer… … Wikipedia
Alicia Keys — Infobox Musical artist Name = Alicia Keys Img capt = Alicia Keys performing at Pavilhão Atlântico in Lisbon, Portugal on March 19, 2008 Img size = Background = solo singer Birth name = Alicia J. Augello Cook Alias = Lellow [cite web… … Wikipedia
The Midway State — performing at the 2011 Hillside Festival Background information Origin Collingwood, Ontario … Wikipedia