Leyton tube station


Leyton tube station

Leyton tube station is a London Underground station at Leyton. Situated opposite Leyton Mills at the end of Leyton High Street. It is on the Central Line between Stratford and Leytonstone. It is in zone 3.

History

The station was opened by the Eastern Counties Railway on 22 August 1856 and was called "Low Leyton". It was renamed Leyton on 27 November 1868 by the Great Eastern Railway. The current station buildings largely date from the reconstruction of 1879, which saw the original level crossing replaced by a bridge, although some alterations were carried out in connection with the transfer of the station from the London & North Eastern Railway to London Underground as part of the eastern extensions of the Central line. The station was first served by the Central Line on 5 May 1947. Now demolished is the northern ticket office and entrance, opened in 1901, which was removed as part of the controversial M11 extension that was built adjacent to the station in the 1990s.

Trivia

When Low Leyton originally opened, trains were not allowed to stop on Sundays as the local vicar had convinced those in authority that the railway was 'the devil's work' and should prevent people from getting to church by train.cn|date=August 2008

Notable local places

Leyton tube station serves Leyton Orient F.C. stadium.

Transport connections

Bus routes N26, 58, 69, 97, and 158 pass by the station, while the W14 and W15 are a couple of mins down the road.

Gallery


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.