- Campus Martius
:"For the pioneer fortification at Marietta, Ohio, see ":"For the park in
Detroit, Michigan, see Campus Martius Park", which covers a smaller section of the original area, bears the same name.
The Ancient Roman age
founding of Rome, The Campus Martius was a low-lying plain enclosed on the west by a bend of the TiberRiver near Tiber Island, on the east by the Quirinal Hill, and on the southeast by the Capitoline Hill.
According to one legend, the Campus Martius was once a field of wheat owned by Tarquinius Superbus, last King of Rome, but was burnt during the revolution which established the
In the first centuries after the city's founding, the area was still outside the
Servian Wall. The Campus was used for pasturing horses and sheep, and for military training activity of both the army and of private people who could use the training equipment the army had left. As such, it was dedicated to Mars, the Roman god of war, with an ancient altar and became closely linked to soldiers and the army. Initially, the field was often used by soldiers for purposes of training. Later, it was frequently the focus of Triumphs, the celebrations of successful military campaigns.
Because at the time it was outside the city walls, the Campus Martius was a natural place for audience given to foreign ambassadors who could not enter the city, and foreign cults were housed in temples erected there.
In 221 BC, the
Circus Flaminiuswas built on the southern side of the Campus Martius, near the Tiber. This large track for chariot racing was named after Gaius Flaminius Nepos, who also constructed the Via Flaminia.
Starting in the time of Sulla, building lots were sold or granted to influential Romans, and "
insulae" (apartment blocks) and villas encroached on the common land. It later became the place for "comitia centuriata", civic meetings with weapons, and for the city's militia. Pompeybuilt the first stone theater in Rome in the Campus Martius in 55 BC: this was the first real monument in the area. When the Curia Hostiliaburnt down in 52 BC the theater was sometimes used as meeting place for the Senate. It was here that Julius Caesarwas murdered in 44 BC. The area was also used as the meeting ground for elections. Julius Caesar planned for the " Saepta" (enclosures used for elections) to be placed there; they were later completed by his heir Augustus. In 33 BC Octavian dedicated the Porticus Octaviae, built from spoils of the Dalmatian War.During the Augustan period of the early Roman Empire, the area became officially part of the city: Rome was split up into 14 regions, and Campus Martius was divided into the VII "Via Lata" on the east and the IX "Circus Flaminius" nearer to the river.
The Campus Martius also held the
Ara Pacis(Altar of Peace), built by the Senate to mark the establishment of peace by Augustus. It was intended to symbolize the successful completion of Augustus's efforts to stabilize the Empire. Marcus Vipsanius Agrippahad the original swampy ground made into a pool and baths in a setting of parkland and temples, the "Laconicum Sudatorium" or Baths of Agrippa, and he built the Porticus Argonautarumand, most notably, the Pantheon, which was later rebuilt by Hadrian as it still stands today. In 19 BC he additionally completed the Aqua Virgoto supply water to these new baths and fountains.
In the non-populated northern area there was the huge
Mausoleum of Augustus. Other buildings were made: the Theater of Marcellus, the temple for Isis(from around the time of Caligula), the baths and bridge by Nero.
After the great fire of the 80,
Domitianusrebuilt the burnt monuments plus a stadium(eventually to become today's Piazza Navona) and an "Odeion" (a small performance hall).
Gradually, the Campus filled with temples and public buildings, circuses, theaters, porticoes, baths, monuments, columns and obelisks. Interestingly, even though the area was originally named for Mars, there was no monument dedicated solely to him in the later Roman period.
Although the region had been left outside the earlier walls, it was finally protected defensively when the
Aurelian Wallswere built around 270.
The Middle Ages
After the barbarian invasions cut the aqueducts, the rapidly dwindling population abandoned the surrounding hills and concentrated in the Campus Martius, depending on the Tiber for water, but subject to its flooding.Since it was next to the river and next to the Vatican, the area became the most populated part of Rome in the Middle Ages. The river supported a thriving economy and a supply of water, and the continuous stream of pilgrims to the city brought wealth to the area.
The main road connecting Rome to the rest of
Europewas the Via Cassia, entering Rome through the " Porta del Popolo" ("door of the people") in the northern part of the Campus Martius. Via Cassia became the most important road in medieval times, because it connected Rome with Viterbo, Sienaand Florence.
The other main road to Rome, the
Via Aurelia, became unsafe in medieval times with the spread of malaria, because it passed through the unhealthy marshes near several coastal lakes in the Maremmalowlands (as Orbetellolagoon, Capalbiolake and other Tombolos), and because its route by the sea made it more susceptible to attack from raiders. The coastal towns around via Aurelia were areas subjected to women kidnapping and plunder made by muslim saracenpirates.
Because of the increasing importance of the area, several
popesdecided to improve the conditions of the area. In the period 1513-1521 Pope Leo Xbuilt a route connecting " Porta del Popolo" to the Vatican. This road was first called the "Via Leonina" after the pope, later the more famous "Via di Ripetta" after the name of the river port. To improve the hygiene of the area, several ancient Roman aqueducts were restored to operating condition.
As the population of Rome greatly increased in the Middle Ages, the Campus Martius became a crowded multi-cultural place where many foreigners settled. In 1555,
Pope Paul IVdesignated part of the southern part of the Campus Martius as the ghetto to contain the city's Jewish population.
Renaissance, like all the rest of Rome, Campus Martius did not change much; there were no other great building projects and the population decreased. This was reversed after Rome became capital of the new-born Kingdom of Italyin 1870. After this, the area became even more crowded, and protecting embankments were built to stop the flooding of the Tiber. This made the area much safer from threat of water, but the tall embankments effectively destroyed the traditional embarkation point called the Ripetta("little bank"), the narrow streets leading down to the river, and the vernacular buildings along the river edge.
Champ de Marsin Paris shared the name and military orientation of Campus Martius.
Detroit, Michigan's Campus Martius Parkis a downtown park inspired by Rome's Campus Martius.
* [http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/PLATOP*/Campus_Martius.html Detailed topographical history of the Campus Martius]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Campus Martius — Campus Martĭus, Marsfeld, der Platz für Waffenübungen und Volksversammlungen im alten Rom, am l. Tiberufer im nördl. Teil der Stadt … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Campus Martius — Campus Martius, das Marsfeld in Rom, der Waffenübungsplatz … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Campus Martius — /kamˈpəs märˈshəs, kamˈpŭs märˈti ŭs/ (Latin) noun A grassy plain used by the ancient Romans for athletic games, military drill, etc ORIGIN: Field of Mars … Useful english dictionary
Campus Martius — Lagekarte der Tiefebene Das westliche Marsfeld während der Anti … Deutsch Wikipedia
CAMPUS Martius — I. CAMPUS Martius etiam nomen est, quo insigniri solet amplior planities iuxta maiores Urbes, in qua incolae armorum exercitio opram dabant, instar Camporum Martiorum iuxta Romam, quorum 8. fuisse P. Victor auctor est. Vide Marlianum, Topograph.… … Hofmann J. Lexicon universale
Campus Martius — Sp Márso laũkas Ap Campus Martius lotyniškai L ist. vt. C Italijoje … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Campus Martius — ▪ field, Rome, Italy English Field of Mars in ancient Rome, a floodplain of the Tiber River, the site of the altar of Mars and the temple of Apollo in the 5th century BC. Originally used primarily as a military exercise ground, it was… … Universalium
Campus Martius Park — Infobox park park=Campus Martius Park image size=225px caption=Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Campus Martius type=Municipal (City of Detroit) location=Detroit coordinates=coord|42|19|53|N|83|2|48|W| size=convert|1.2|acre|ha|lk=on opened=1850;… … Wikipedia
Martius — may refer to: an adjectival form of the theonym Mars in Latin: Campus Martius, the Field of Mars in ancient Rome Martius, the month of March; see Roman calendar Telo Martius, an ancient name for Toulon, France People named Martius: Carl Friedrich … Wikipedia
Campus (Begriffsklärung) — Campus (lat. campus – Feld) ist die Bezeichnung für die Gesamtanlage einer Hochschule oder ähnlichen Institution, das heißt das Gelände mit mehreren zusammengehörenden Gebäuden/Einrichtungen. Campus steht außerdem für: CAMPUS (Datenbank), eine… … Deutsch Wikipedia