- Vin Diesel
Diesel at a premiere for Fast & Furious in March 2009
Born Mark Sinclair Vincent
July 18, 1967
New York City, U.S.
Occupation Actor, director, producer, screenwriter Years active 1990–present Partner Paloma Jimenez Website VinDiesel.com
Vin Diesel (born Mark Sinclair Vincent; July 18, 1967) is an American actor, writer, director and producer. He became known in the early 2000s, appearing in several successful Hollywood films, including The Fast and the Furious and xXx. He founded the production companies One Race Films, Tigon Studios and Racetrack Records.
Vin Diesel was born in New York City, the son of Delora, a psychiatrist and astrologer. Diesel has Italian and black ancestry. He has described himself as "definitely a person of color" and stated that he is "of ambiguous ethnicity – Italian and a lot of other stuff". Diesel has never met his biological father, and was raised by his African-American father, Irving, an acting instructor and theatre manager. He made his stage debut at age seven when he appeared in the children's play Dinosaur Door, written by Barbara Garson. The play was produced at Theater for the New City in New York's Greenwich Village. His involvement in the play came about when he, his brother and some friends had broken into Theater for the New City's space on Jane Street with the intent to vandalize it. They were confronted by the theater's artistic director, Crystal Field, who instead of calling the police, handed them scripts and offered them parts in the upcoming show. He remained involved with the theatre throughout adolescence, going on to attend the city's Hunter College, where his creative writing studies led him to begin screenwriting. Diesel became an active film-maker in the early 1990s, first earning notice for the short film Multi-Facial, which was selected for screening at the 1995 Cannes Festival. Diesel has identified himself as a "multi-faceted" actor as a result of early difficulties finding roles due to his mixed heritage.
In an interview on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, he said that he changed his name to "Vin Diesel" while working as a bouncer at the New York City nightclub Tunnel, because in that business one's real name is not usually given out. The name "Vin" is simply a shortened version of "Vincent". He received the nickname "Diesel" from his friends who said he ran off diesel fuel, referring to his non-stop energy.
He has a twin brother, Paul, a younger brother, Tim, and a sister, Samantha.
Diesel's first film role was a brief uncredited appearance in the 1990 film Awakenings. He then produced, directed, and starred in the 1994 short film Multi-Facial, a short semi-autobiographical film which follows a struggling actor stuck in the audition process, because he is regarded as either "too black" or "too white", or not black or white enough. He made his first feature-length film, 1997's Strays, an urban drama in which he was self-cast as a gang boss whose love for a woman inspires him to try to change his ways. Written, directed and produced by Diesel, the film was selected for competition at the 1997 Sundance Festival, leading to an MTV deal to turn it into a series.
He was then cast in Steven Spielberg's 1998 Oscar-winning film Saving Private Ryan on the poignancy of his performance in Multi-Facial. In 1999 he earned critical acclaim for his voice work as the title character in the animation film The Iron Giant. He followed it up with a major role in the business drama Boiler Room (2000) and then got his breakthrough role as the anti-hero Riddick in the science-fiction film Pitch Black (2000). He attained action hero super stardom with the box office hits, the street racing action film The Fast and the Furious (2001), starring opposite Paul Walker, and the action thriller xXx (2002).
In 2004, he reprised his role as Pitch Black's Riddick in The Chronicles of Riddick which was a box office failure considering the large budget. In 2005 he played a lighthearted role in the comedy film The Pacifier, which became a box office success. In 2006 he chose a dramatic role playing real-life mobster Jack DiNorscio in Find Me Guilty. Although he received critical acclaim for his performance, the film did poorly at the box office. Later that year he made a cameo appearance in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, reprising his role from The Fast and The Furious. Diesel was originally offered the lead in 2 Fast 2 Furious but turned it down. He was also offered the chance to reprise his role from xXx in xXx: State of the Union but turned it down as well. In March 2006, Diesel stated that he was working on a sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick which as of 2011 is still in pre-production stages.
In 2007, he was set to produce and star as Agent 47 in the film adaptation of the video game Hitman, but eventually pulled back and served as executive producer on the film instead. In 2008 he starred in the science-fiction action thriller Babylon A.D..
He returned to the The Fast and The Furious series, alongside all the actors from the original 2001 film, in Fast & Furious, which released in April 2009. In 2011, he once again returned, for the fifth film in the series, titled Fast Five.
Diesel is noted for his recognizable deep voice; he has said that his voice broke at around age 15, giving him a mature sounding voice on the telephone.
Diesel has expressed his love for the Dominican Republic, and how he relates to its multicultural facets. He is also acquainted with President Leonel Fernandez, and has since appeared in one of his earlier campaign ads. "Los Bandoleros", a short film directed by Diesel, was also filmed in the Dominican Republic.
Diesel claims that he prefers dating in Europe, where he is less likely to be recognized and where celebrities are not romantically linked to each other. He prefers to maintain his privacy regarding his personal life:
“ I'm not gonna put it out there on a magazine cover like some other actors. I come from the Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino code of silence. ”
Diesel has played Dungeons & Dragons for over twenty years and wrote the foreword for the commemorative book 30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons. In the 30th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons issue of Dragon Magazine, they examine the fact that Diesel played Dungeons & Dragons, and reveal that he had a fake tattoo of his character's name, "Melkor," on his stomach while filming xXx.
Diesel has a daughter, Hania Riley, born April 2, 2008, with his girlfriend, model Paloma Jimenez. Speaking to An tEolas, an Irish newspaper, Diesel stated he has been seen as a hard man, but is in touch with his soft side as a father.
Year Movie Role Other notes 1990 Awakenings Orderly Uncredited role 1994 Multi-Facial Mike 1997 Strays Rick 1998 Saving Private Ryan Private Adrian Caparzo 1999 The Iron Giant The Iron Giant (voice) Animated 2000 Boiler Room Chris Varick Pitch Black Richard B. Riddick 2001 The Fast and the Furious Dominic Toretto Knockaround Guys Taylor Reese 2002 xXx Xander Cage 2003 A Man Apart Sean Vetter 2004 The Chronicles of Riddick Richard B. Riddick The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury Richard B. Riddick (voice) Straight-to-DVD; animated 2005 The Pacifier Lieutenant Shane Wolfe 2006 Find Me Guilty Jack DiNorscio The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Dominic Toretto Cameo appearance 2008 Babylon A.D. Hugo Cornelius Toorop 2009 Fast & Furious Dominic "Dom" Toretto 2011 Fast Five Dominic "Dom" Toretto
Film Title Year Description Multi-Facial 1994 Producer Strays 1997 Executive Producer, Producer xXx 2002 Executive Producer A Man Apart 2003 Producer Chronicles of Riddick 2004 Executive Producer Life is a Dream 2004 Documentary, Executive Producer Find Me Guilty 2006 Producer Hitman 2007 Executive Producer Fast & Furious 2009 Producer Fast Five 2011 Producer
Director & Writer
Film Year Multi-Facial 1994 Strays 1997
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (2004)
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (2009)
- Wheelman (2009)
- ^ a b "Vin Diesel Biography (1967–)". Filmreference.com. http://www.filmreference.com/film/3/Vin-Diesel.html. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ "CNN.com – Vin Diesel: From nightclub bouncer to action hero – August 12, 2002". CNN. http://archives.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/12/people.cel.diesel/index.html. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ Vincent, Mal (August 9, 2002). "xXx". The Virginian-Pilot. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=VP&p_theme=vp&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0F552F52A780C161&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved March 2, 2008.
- ^ Wloszcyna, Susan (June 4, 2004). "Vin Diesel, driving on a tankful of cool". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-06-10-vin-diesel-cool_x.htm. Retrieved March 2, 2008.
- ^ a b "Diesel is running hot". Jam.canoe.ca. February 17, 2000. http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Artists/D/Diesel_Vin/2000/02/17/757953.html. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ Vincent, Mal (June 22, 2001). ""THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS" VIN DIESEL OPENS THE THROTTLE IN NEW SPEED MOVIE AND JOINS AN ELITE "ACTION – STAR " FRATERNITY". The Virginian-Pilot. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=VP&p_theme=vp&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0ECE0CA9279A8D03&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved March 2, 2008.
- ^ a b Noy Thrupkaew (August 16, 2002). "The Multicultural Mysteries of Vin Diesel". Alternet.org. http://www.alternet.org/story/13863/. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ "Vin Diesel Shifts Acting Career Into High Gear In `The Fast And The Furious' - Brief Article | Jet | Find Articles at BNET.com". Findarticles.com. July 9, 2001. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_4_100/ai_76513111. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ Vin Diesel on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on YouTube
- ^ Wloszczyna, Susan (August 6, 2002). "Vin Diesel, in high gear". USA Today (Gannett). http://www.usatoday.com/life/2002-08-06-vin-diesel_x.htm. Retrieved February 4, 2007.
- ^ "Vin Diesel to film in DR". http://dr1.com/travelnews/archive/2005/tnews080905.html.
- ^ "Vin Diesel "adores" Dominicans, presents 'Los Bandoleros'". http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/this-and-that/2009/7/30/32762/Vin-Diesel-adores-Dominicans-presents-Los-Bandoleros#12.
- ^ "Diesel says rumors about him being homosexual are untrue". http://www.hollywood.com/news/Diesel_Slams_Gay_Rumors/3487636.
- ^ "Vin Diesel of The Chronicles of Riddick Interview". http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/features/thechroniclesofriddick/vindiesel.asp. Retrieved September 13, 2007.
- ^ Jordan, Julie (June 5, 2008). "Vin Diesel Becomes a Father". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20204899,00.html. Retrieved June 6, 2008.
- ^ "New Zealand Herald". Nzherald.co.nz. June 9, 2008. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10515225. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- ^ Fear crua ar an scáileán mór ach athair cineálta sa bhaile, An tEolas (Irish), (English)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Vin Diesel — en Múnich en abril de 2005. Nombre real Mark Sinclair Vincent Nacimiento 18 de julio de 1967 (44 años) Nuev … Wikipedia Español
Vin Diesel — in München (2005) Mark Sinclair Vincent (* 18. Juli 1967 in New York City), bekannt unter seinem Künstlernamen Vin Diesel, ist ein US amerikanischer Filmschauspieler. Inhaltsverzeichn … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vin Diesel — à l avant première de Baby Sittor Munich (Allemagne), avril 2005 … Wikipédia en Français
Vin diesel — Le vin diesel se dit d un vin possédant des arômes de pétrole, ces derniers faisant partie de la gamme des arômes minéraux. L arôme diesel est considéré comme un défaut du vin … L'Abécédaire du Vin
DIESEL — bezeichnet: Dieselkraftstoff Dieselmotor Schiffsdieselmotor regional ein Mischgetränk aus Cola und Bier; siehe Biermischgetränk „Diesel“ im Rheinland ein Mischgetränk aus Cola und Orangenlimonade; siehe Spezi (Getränk) Diesel (Modelabel),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Diesel (disambiguation) — Diesel has several possible meanings, of which most are related to Rudolf Diesel s invention. Technological terms related to Rudolf Diesel s engine * Diesel fuel * Diesel engine * Diesel cycle * Diesel multiple unit * Diesel exhaust * Diesel… … Wikipedia
Diesel — may refer to: Contents 1 Technology 2 Other uses 3 Nicknames … Wikipedia
Diesel — bezeichnet: Dieselkraftstoff Dieselmotor Schiffsdieselmotor regional ein Mischgetränk aus Cola und Bier; siehe Biermischgetränk „Diesel“ im Rheinland ein Mischgetränk aus Cola und Orangenlimonade; siehe Spezi (Getränk) Diesel (Modelabel),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vin — (franz. vin „Wein“) steht für folgende Weine: Vin du Bugey Vin de Corse Vin Delimité de Qualité Supérieur Vin Doux Naturel Gletscherwein, Vin du Glacier Vin Jaune Vin de Maison Vin Mariani Strohwein, Vin de Paille Vin de Pays Vin Santo Vin de… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Diésel — Diesel Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom … Wikipédia en Français