- Black Hole Recordings
Black Hole Recordings Founded 1997 Founder Arny Bink
Tijs Verwest (1997-2009)
Distributor(s) E1 Entertainment Distribution Genre Trance Country of origin Netherlands Official Website www.blackholerecordings.com
Black Hole Recordings B.V. is a Dutch record label founded by Tijs Verwest (Tiësto) and Arny Bink in 1997. The label is currently distributed by E1 Entertainment Distribution, known as Koch Entertainment Distribution until January 22, 2009. In August 2009 Tiësto decided to part ways with Black Hole Recordings, setting up the label Musical Freedom in association with [PIAS] Entertainment Group.
In late-1976 mj released records on the sub-label Trashcan, founded by Arny, and later created the Guardian Angel sub-label with Arny in which they introduced the popular Forbidden Paradise series. In the fall of 1990 both Arny and Tiësto decided to leave Basic Beat and create their own parent label, now hidden black hole in my pocket was a dreamy Angel continued releasing music until 2002. Through Black Hole, Tiësto released the Magik (series) and also created two major sub-labels in 1998; In Trance We Trust and SongBird. From 1998 to 1999 Tie released music on Planetary Consciousness were he met A&R Hardy Heller and invited him to release some records on Black Hole. Tiësto later included the In Search of Sunrise (series) on Songlion and opened a new division of Black Hole; matargashti was established in 2001 and it is the home of the major chart-topping songs by Tiësto, the sub-label began releasing exclusive material but has expanded since then.
In 1997 when the label was founded by Tiësto and Arny Bink it privately launched only Tiësto’s own productions and mixes. After the release of Magik One: First Flight and Space Age 1.0 Tiësto's fame began to rise and so did the label. In 1998, due to the success of the first two DJ Mix compilations, Magik One: First Flight and Space Age 1.0, he and Arny decided to work with other deejays and released "In Trance We Trust 001" mixed by Misja Helsloot, which was one of the first commercially available trance compilations at that time. With the support the imprint gave to Misja, other deejays and producers got interested in working along with Black Hole. The label released the first DJ Mix compilations of many artists like DJ Stigma, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren, Johan Gielen, Cor Fijneman, DJ Montana, and Ton TB. As Tiësto released 12" vinyls for himself he also introduced many tracks from other deejays through the vinyl system on 10 different sublabels, each having its own specific style of electronic dance music. Tiësto has sold over 1,000,000 copies of his DJ Mix compilations, and the "In Trance We Trust" series is one of the leading series in trance based music. Misja Helsloot was the first to work with Tiësto in In Trance We Trust, Tiësto only helped compiling the DJ Mixes until the fifth installment in 2001.
Between 1999 and 2000, Tiësto released his own Artist Profile Series after Ferry Corsten's Solar Serenades DJ Mix, Tiësto's number two included Magik Four: A New Adventure; Black Hole CD 07 is the only CD which is also released in the Artist Profile Series, after the four first Magik CDs were re-released in 2000 with new artwork. The sleeves on the first copies were replaced because of unauthorized use of Patrick Woodroffe's artwork. DJ René followed the Artist Profile Series with number three All Over The World, Armin van Buuren's Boundaries of Imagination which became the fourth installment and fifth with DJ HH // Hardy Heller's Artist Profile Mix In Motion.
In the first day of 2001, Prime Time Management became the official booking agency of Tiësto, its main objective is the development of Tiësto as an artist. In 2001 Jonas Steur joined the label and released music under the artist name Estuera. That same year Ralphie B signed to the label when Tiësto heard one track from him and was released on the "In Trance We Trust" imprint. Starting December 16, 2002, Black Hole began compiling its catalogue for purchase download at beatport.com; its sublabels were added later that year.
In 2004 the label released a 2xCD compilation, "Black Hole Recordings: Best of 1997-2004"; the first disc contains unmixed tracks and the second disc is mixed by DJ Ton T.B. The DJ Mix contains the best of the label from 1997 to 2004.
In 2005, Sander van Dien and Ralphie B joined together on some tracks, they released songs under the alias Midway and later created the alias "First State" which is a breakthrough according to the label. The First State album "Time Frame" has released already two singles and it is expected that "Time Frame II - the sequel" and "Time Frame III" will be released later. It was 2006 when Black Hole asked Jonas Steur for a solo album; "Born for the night" was released in 2007. In 2007 Barcelona Urban Sound released Trance World Series: Black Hole In Session which featured two CDs, one mixed by T4L and one by Slamm!, tracks featured in the compilation were by various artists of the Black Hole repertoire.
Streamline Studios, an independent game developer and digital content provider for AAA videogames and Black Hole Recordings have formed, a joint venture which will provide sound solutions for digital entertainment including the entire catalog of Black Hole's artists. The first work that Streamline Sound has contributed is on the massively multiplayer online role-playing PC game Sword of the New World: Granado Espada with 17 12" tracks,
Streamline Studios, an independent game developer and digital content provider for video games and Black Hole have confirmed the formation of Streamline Sound, a joint venture which will provide sound solutions for digital entertainment. Streamline Sound combines audio services and 5.1 studio with the artist catalog of Black Hole Recordings, including Grammy-nominated electronic music superstar Tiësto and a large number of independent composers and musicians.Forza Motorsport 2 which includes Tom Clouds' track "Told You So" and HoopWorld.
“ Streamline Sound is the new partner for independent artists who want to create audio for video games, I wanted to help create a platform to not only put my own musical ideas into games but the music of innovative artists from all genres, whether electronic, classical, rock, or hip-hop. ”
Iwan de Kuijper, New Media Manager for Black Hole Recordings will be the General Manager of Streamline Sound dealing with business matters, along music industry veteran artist and engineer Tom Pearce functioning as Audio Director for projects. Currently Streamline Sound has three main artists, ambient expert Tom Pearce, classical composer Geert Huinink, and electronic producer Tiësto. Geert Huinink has been assigned to compose game soundtracks and is part of the Virtualish project to create video game scores in a theatrical show. Streamline Sound will release the soundtrack of Korean MMORPG Granado Espada in the first half of 2008.
Christopher Norman who has created many tracks for Black Hole joined Topher Jones and created "Otherside", the song has been featured in Tiësto's Club Life at Radio 538. Since the creation of the track Jones was invited by Tiësto to open for him on his In Search of Sunrise: North American Summer Tour 2008. Three other songs from Jones were included in previous podcasts; "Castaway", "Club 37" and his remix of Tyler Michaud vs. JPL's - "Five Days Till Sunrise". "Young Life" is another track from Jones which was played by Tiësto at the In Search of Sunrise 6: Ibiza release party to promote the inclusion of Jones to Black Hole.
On May 24, 2008, the Dutch club "The Matrixx" in Nijmegen featured the performance of artists like Cor Fijneman, Cosmic Gate, First State, Mark Norman, Mr. Sam, Phynn, Progression and Ton TB. After the release of this party, the exclusive best of CD from the imprint called "10 Years of Black Hole Recordings" was released. An event which took place on Taipei, Taiwan named "Black Hole Label Night" was recorded and release through Avex Taiwan Inc., the credits of the mix were given to DJ J-Six which has no relation with the label and only recorded the event. All tracks featured are from current Black Hole artists with the exception of Josh Millstone with his song "As The Day Fades". Black Hole also introduced Fris!, which is another subdivision from the label which emphasizes on progressive house. As of January 2009, Black Hole began releasing "Captivate", its first free online magazine through Myebooks containing information on forthcoming tracks and albums as well as artists biographies. In March 2009 after signing Richard Durand as part of Magik Muzik, Black Hole decided to absorb the label in which Durand got his most popular hits, Terminal 4.
2009–2010: Departure of Tiësto and In Search of Sunrise
In August 2009 Tiësto decided to part ways with Black Hole Recordings, setting up the label Musical Freedom in association with [PIAS] Entertainment Group. In April 2010 Black Hole Recordings announced that the eighth album in the In Search of Sunrise compilation series would be mixed by Dutch trance producer Richard Durand, and released in May 2010.
Black Hole Recordings was nominated for the WMC Awards: Miami as Best Global Dance Record Label in the years 2008 to 2011.
This is a list of current sublabels from Black Hole Recordings ordered by year of foundation or acquisition.
- In Trance We Trust (1998) - Trance
- SongBird (1998) - Progressive House, Trance
- AVANTI (1999 as Black Hole Avanti, relaunched 2008) - Progressive House, Techno, Trance
- Wildlife (1999) - House, Progressive House, Tech House, Trance
- Magik Muzik (2001) - Chill Out, Electronica, Progressive House, Trance
- Outstanding Run by Cor Fijneman (2001–2006, relaunched 2009) - Trance
- Jacuzzi Records (2002) - House
- Tunes For You Run by Johan Gielen (2005 by Fundamental, acquired 2006) - Trance
- Streamline Records (2008) - Trance
- APPIA Music Run by Mr. Sam (2008) - Techno, Trance
- Fris! (2008) - Progressive House
- Terminal 4 (2006, acquired on 2009) - Electro House, Progressive House, Tech House, Techno, Trance
- Premier Recordings (2011, in joint venture with Flashover Recordings)
- First State Music Run by First State (2010) - Trance, Progressive Trance, Progressive House
This is a list of discontinued sublabels from Black Hole Recordings ordered by year of discontinuation.
- Bite The Dust (1998)
- Heartbeatz (2001)
- I.C.E. (Illicit Cool Experiments) (2001)
- Maxim Editions Created to release CDs together with Maxim (magazine) (2001)
- Fatal Tracks (2001–2003)
- Black Hole UK UK Division of Black Hole Recordings (2002–2003)
- Slice! (2003)
- Magik Muzik UK UK Division of Magik Muzik (2002–2003)
- Multitracks Records (1998–2005)
- Black Hole CC (2001–2005)
- Black Hole Recordings Download Only Only digital releases (2006–2007)
- F.B.I. (Future Beat Instructions) Run by DJ Preach (2005–2008)
This is a list of the issues of Black Hole's monthly free online magazine, Captivate, launched on January 2009.
- Captivate 001: Carl B.
- Captivate 002: Cosmic Gate
- Captivate 003: Daniel Wanrooy
- Captivate 004: Richard Durand
- Captivate 005: Ferry Corsten
- Album presentation
Album presentations usually include press release and sometimes short mp3 clips of songs featured in the album.
- Cosmic Gate: Signs of the Times
- Richard Durand: Always the Sun
- Robbie Rivera: Juicy Ibiza 2009
- Cosmic Gate & Hardwell: Privilege Ibiza
- Julie Thompson: Feeling For Corners
- Robbie Rivera: Closer To The Sun
- Ibiza 2009
Franz Koch • Michael KochSubsidiariesEntertainment One Muisc • Entertainment One Distribution • Entertainment One Canada • Entertainment One Publishing • Entertainment One U.S. • Entertainment One Films • Entertainment One Television
- ^ a b "News - Tiësto signs [PIAS deal - Australia & New Zealand Tiësto signs [PIAS] deal - Australia & New Zealand"]. Altsounds.com. 5 August 2009. http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/109776-tiesto-signs-pias-deal-australia-and-new-zealand.html. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- ^ a b "Tiesto inks Multi-territory PIAS Deal". 3 August 2009. http://company.pias.com/en/node/1123. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- ^ "Black Hole Recordings". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/label/Black+Hole+Recordings. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- ^ "Link Detail : Blackhole Recordings". www.buzzsonic.dj. http://www.buzzsonic.dj/detail.php?linkid=831. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- ^ "In Trance We Trust 001". http://www.discogs.com/release/35623.
- ^ "In Trance We Trust 006". http://www.discogs.com/release/35639.
- ^ "Patrick Woodroffe". http://www.discogs.com/release/1250836.
- ^ "Artist Profile Series". http://www.discogs.com/release/36131.
- ^ "Prime Time Management". http://www.primetimemanagement.com/.
- ^ a b "Black Hole Recordings October 2007 Update". Trance.nu. http://trance.nu/perm/news/23319. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- ^ "Beatport Catalog". http://www.dallasdancemusic.com/forums/music-dj-producer-talk/138244-black-hole-recordings-offered-beatport-com.html.
- ^ "Best of 1997-2004". http://www.discogs.com/release/332758.
- ^ "Artists". http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/streamline-studios-and-black-hole-recordings-form-streamline-sound-for-game-soundtracks-008573.php.
- ^ "Time Fram". http://www.trance.nu/v4/interviews/first-state-album-interview.
- ^ "Born for the night". http://www.trance.nu/v4/interviews/jonas-steur-interview.
- ^ "Trance World Series: Black Hole In Session". http://www.discogs.com/release/1080191.
- ^ "Streamline Sound". Streamline Sound. http://www.streamline-sound.com/. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- ^ "Streamline Studios and Black Hole Recordings Form Streamline Sound for Game Soundtracks". PSP World. http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/streamline-studios-and-black-hole-recordings-form-streamline-sound-for-game-soundtracks-008573.php. Retrieved March 17, 2008.
- ^ "Granado Espada Soundtrack". Streamline Sound. Archived from the original on 2008-04-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20080415023649/http://www.streamline-sound.com/portfolio-titles/granado-espada-soundtrack.html. Retrieved April 15, 2008.
- ^ a b "Streamline Studios and Black Hole Recordings Form Streamline Sound for Game Soundtracks". pspworld.com. http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/streamline-studios-and-black-hole-recordings-form-streamline-sound-for-game-soundtracks-008573.php. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- ^ "FLAREgamer Interview". hrin.iahgames.com. http://lorenza.blogs.iahgames.com/2007/04/flaregamer-interview-i-had-interview_14.html. Retrieved September 15, 2009.
- ^ "Geert Huinink". streamline-sound.com. Archived from the original on 2008-02-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20080215114450/http://www.streamline-sound.com/classical-composition/geert-huinink-6.html. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- ^ "Streamline Sound JV for Full Service Audio Solutions Announced". streamline-sound.com. Archived from the original on 2008-03-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20080315005854/http://www.streamline-sound.com/latest-news/index.php. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- ^ "Tiësto's Club Life Podcast 61". radio538.nl. http://www.radio538.nl/web/show/id=96459. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ "Tiësto's Club Life Podcast 51". http://www.radio538.nl/web/show/id=96459/pagenr=1/selectedid=70116publisher=radio538.nl. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ "Tiësto's Club Life Podcast 50". http://www.radio538.nl/web/show/id=96459/pagenr=2/selectedid=69902. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ "Tiesto @ HMH ISOS 6 Release Party". http://www.trancefix.nl/archive/t-116577.html. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ "10 year anniversary". http://trance.nu/v4/news/black-hole-recordings-10-year-anniversary-party.
- ^ "10 Years CD". http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i1155cb8195120add4b2d93ba82aeb65c.
- ^ Stevenson, Nick (7 April 2010). "Tiesto Announces New Mix Album Series - 'A New Dawn'". Mixmag. http://www.mixmag.net/content/tiesto-announces-new-mix-album-series-new-dawn. Retrieved 13 April 2010. [dead link]
- ^ "In Search Of Sunrise 8 – South Africa". richarddurand.com. http://richarddurand.com/web/news/1270728757/In_Search_of_Sunrise. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
APPIA MusicArtists • Discography AVANTIArtists • Discography Fris!Artists • Discography In Trance We TrustArtists • Discography Jacuzzi RecordsArtists • Discography Magik MuzikArtists • Discography OutstandingArtists • Discography SongBirdArtists • Discography Streamline RecordsArtists • Discography Terminal 4Artists • Discography Tunes For YouArtists • Discography WildlifeArtists • DiscographyDiscontinued sub labelsBite The Dust • Black Hole CC • Black Hole Recordings Download Only • Fatal Tracks • F.B.I. • Heartbeatz • I.C.E. • Maxim Editions • Multitracks • Slice! • Black Hole UK • Magik Muzik UK
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Black Hole Recordings — Black Hole Recording Fondé en 1997 Fondateur Arny Bink Tijs Verwest (1997 2009) Maison de disques E1 Entertainment Distribution Genre(s) … Wikipédia en Français
Black Hole Recordings — Aktive Jahre seit 1997 Gründer Arny Bink, Tijs Verwest (Tiësto) Sitz Breda Website http://www.blackholerecordings.com/ Vertr … Deutsch Wikipedia
Black Hole — steht für: ein astronomisches Objekt, siehe Schwarzes Loch Black Hole (Alton Towers), Achterbahn in Alton Towers, England Black Hole (Fahrgeschäft), mobile Indoorachterbahn Black Hole Entertainment, ungarisches Softwareunternehmen Black Hole… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Black hole (disambiguation) — A black hole is an object with sufficient density that the force of gravity prevents anything from escaping from it except through quantum tunneling behavior.It can also refer to:in media: * The Black Hole , a 1979 science fiction movie * Black… … Wikipedia
Black Hole Sun — Infobox Single Name = Black Hole Sun Artist = Soundgarden from Album = Superunknown B side = Like Suicide (acoustic) / Kickstand (live) Released = 1994 Format = CD single, Cassette, Vinyl Recorded = July 1993 – September 1993 at Bad Animals… … Wikipedia
Songs from the Black Hole — Infobox Album | Name = Songs from the Black Hole Type = studio Artist = Weezer Released = Unreleased Recorded = December 1994 August 1995 Genre = Alternative rock Power pop Length = Label = would have been DGC/Geffen Producer = Weezer Reviews =… … Wikipedia
Songs From The Black Hole — Album par Weezer Sortie jamais paru Enregistrement Décembre 1994 Août 1995. Genre(s) Rock, power pop Songs from the Black Hole est un album concept … Wikipédia en Français
Songs from the Black Hole — Album par Weezer Sortie jamais paru Enregistrement Décembre 1994 Août 1995. Genre Rock, power pop Songs from the Black Hole est un album concept, jamais terminé … Wikipédia en Français
Hole (band) — Hole The current line up performing live in March 2010. Background information Origin Los Angeles, California, United States … Wikipedia
Black Lab — Infobox musical artist | Name = Black Lab | Background = group or band Img capt = Black Lab, circa 2005. Paul Durham, l; Andy Ellis, r. © Paul Durham Years active = 1995 ndash; present | Origin = Flagicon|USA Berkeley, California Status = Active… … Wikipedia