- 108 (number)
108 Cardinal one hundred [and] eight Ordinal 108th
(one hundred [and] eighth)
Numeral system 108 Factorization Divisors 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 27, 36, 54, 108 Roman numeral CVIII Binary 11011002 Octal 1548 Duodecimal 9012 Hexadecimal 6C16
It is the hyperfactorial of 3 since it is of the form .
There are 108 free polyominoes of order 7.
The equation results in the Golden ratio
Religion and the arts
The number 108 is considered sacred in many Eastern religions and traditions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and connected yoga and dharma based practices. The individual numbers 1, 0, and 8 represent one thing, nothing, and everything (infinity). 108 represents the ultimate reality of the universe as being (seemingly paradoxically) simultaneously One, emptiness, and infinite.
For example, Hindu deities have 108 names, while in Gaudiya Vaishnavism, there are 108 gopis of Vrindavan. Recital of these names, often accompanied by counting of 108-beaded Mala, is considered sacred and often done during religious ceremonies. The recital is called namajapa. Accordingly, a mala usually has beads for 108 repetitions of a mantra.
The distance of Sun from Earth divided by diameter of Sun and distance of Moon from Earth divided by diameter of Moon is approximately equal to 108. It is claimed that the great sires of Vedanta knew this relationship and thus 108 is a very important number in Vedantic chantings.
Likewise, Tibetan Buddhist malas or rosaries (Tib. ཕྲེང་བ Wyl. phreng ba, "Trengwa") are usual 108 beads ; sometimes 111 including the Guru Bead(s), reflecting the words of the Buddha called in Tibetan the Kangyur (Wylie: Bka'-'gyur) in 108 volumes. Zen priests wear juzu (a ring of prayer beads) around their wrists, which consists of 108 beads.
The Lankavatara Sutra has a section where the Bodhisattva Mahamati asks Buddha 108 questions and another section where Buddha lists 108 statements of negation in the form of "A statement concerning X is not statement concerning X". In a footnote, D.T. Suzuki explains that the Sanskrit word translated as "statement" is "pada" which can also mean "foot-step" or "a position." This confusion over the word "pada" explains why some have mistakenly held that the reference to 108 statements in the Lankavatara refer to the 108 steps that many temples have.
In some schools of Buddhism it is believed that there are 108 defilements. In Japan, at the end of the year, a bell is chimed 108 times in Buddhist temples to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Each ring represents one of 108 earthly temptations a person must overcome to achieve nirvana.
The number 108 is one of many numeric motifs in the American television program Lost, which includes quite a few references to Buddhism. For example, the sum of "the numbers" (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42) is 108, and "the numbers" must be entered into a computer every 108 minutes. One hundred eight is also the number of days "the Oceanic 6" have spent on the island. And Jacob tells Hurley to rotate the mirror in the lighthouse to a heading of 108°.
In the neo-Gnostic teachings of Samael Aun Weor, an individual has 108 chances (lifetimes) to eliminate his egos and transcend the material world before "devolving" and having the egos forcefully removed in the infradimensions.
- According to Marma Adi and Ayurveda, there are 108 pressure points in the body, where consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being.
- The Chinese school of martial arts agrees with the South Indian school of martial arts on the principle of 108 pressure points.
- 108 number also figures prominently in the symbolism associated with karate, particularly the Gōjū-ryū discipline. The ultimate Gōjū-ryū kata, Suparinpei, literally translates to 108. Suparinpei is the Chinese pronunciation of the number 108, while gojūshi of Gojūshiho is the Japanese pronunciation of the number 54. The other Gōjū-ryū kata, Sanseru (meaning "36") and Seipai ("18") are factors of the number 108.
- The 108 of the Yang long form and Wing Chun, taught by Yip Man having 108 movements are noted in this regard.
- Several different Taijiquan long forms consist of 108 moves.
- Paek Pal Ki Hyung, the 7th form taught in the art of Kuk Sool Won, translates literally to "108 technique" form. It is also frequently referred to as the "eliminate 108 torments" form. Each motion corresponds with one of the 108 Buddhist torments or defilements.
- In Homer's Odyssey, the number of suitors coveting Penelope, wife of Odysseus.
- There are 108 outlaws in the Chinese classic Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh.
- There are 108 love sonnets in Astrophil and Stella, the first English sonnet sequence by Sir Philip Sidney.
108 is the number that the Belgian cyclist Wouter Weylandt wore when he crashed fatally in the Giro d'Italia on May 9, 2011. As a tribute, many supporters held replicas of his race number by the side of the road the next day. The organization of the Giro d'Italia decided not to issue race number 108 in future editions, to commemorate him.
In other fields
- An official Major League Baseball baseball has 108 stitches.
- The atomic number of hassium.
- The number of Mbit/s of a non-standard extension of IEEE 802.11g wireless network using channel bonding.
- There are 108 Stars of Destiny to collect in the video game Suikoden distributed by Konami for Playstation
- 108 is the name of a community of and for open source developers, created by Red Hat.
- There are 108 cards in a deck of UNO cards.
- There are 108 Code Crowns in Digimon Xros Wars.
- The British television series Doctor Who has exactly 108 missing Episodes.
- Volume expansion of freezing water is roughly 108%.
EMRI - Emergency Services
In India, 108 (1-0-8) is the toll-free emergency telephone number. Calls are handled by GVK EMRI (GVK Emergency Management and Research Institute), the only professional Emergency Service Provider in India today, handling medical, police and fire emergencies.
108 degrees Fahrenheit is also the internal temperature at which the human body's vital organs begin to fail from overheating.
- ^ Chapter 5 of 'Generating the Deity' ISBN 1-55939-055-7
- ^ a b Hyaku Hachi No Bonno: The Influence of The 108 Defilements and Other Buddhist Concepts on Karate Thought and Practice By Charles C. Goodin. The article has appeared in Issue #7, Winter 1996-97 of Furyu: The Budo Journal.
- ^ The Lankavatara Sutra translated by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, Chapter Two, Section II,
- ^ The Lankavatara Sutra translated by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, Chapter Two, Section III,
- ^ a b 108 STEPS: The Sino-Indian Connection in the Martial Arts by Joyotpaul Chaudhuri....
- ^ http://mrob.com/pub/epist/buddhism.html
- ^ Samael Aun Weor (2005) . The Pistis Sophia Unveiled. Glorian Publishing. pp. 211–214. ISBN 0-9745916-8-8.
- ^ A Western Journalist on India: The Ferengi's Columns By François Gautier. pg 158. ISBN 81-241-0795-5
- ^ Subramaniam Phd., P., (general editors) Dr. Shu Hikosaka, Asst. Prof. Norinaga Shimizu, & Dr. G. John Samuel, (translator) Dr. M. Radhika (1994). Varma Cuttiram வர்ம சுத்திரம்: A Tamil Text on Martial Art from Palm-Leaf Manuscript. Madras: Institute of Asian Studies. pp. 90 & 91.
- ^ Reid Phd., Howard, Michael Croucher (1991). The Way of the Warrior: The Paradox of the Martial Arts. New York: Outlook Press. pp. 58–85. ISBN 0879514337.
- ^ Official Major League Baseball by Rawlings
- ^ Red Hat Announces First Red Hat Developer Day In India @ ENTERPRISE OPEN SOURCE MAGAZINE
9. '108' in the anime series 'Tokko' is the number of pieces in the Box of Dirge Chinese puzzle box created by alchemy as a doorway between the world of demons and this one. The puzzle box was used in all of the Hellraiser films but there was no reference to its number of shards.
- Wells, D. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers London: Penguin Group. (1987): 134
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
108 Stars of Destiny (Suikoden) — The 108 Stars of Destiny in the Suikoden series is loosely based on the classical Chinese novel, Shui Hu Zhuan ( Outlaws of the Marsh or Water Margin ), by Shi Nai an and Luo Guanzhong. The novel s concept of the 108 Stars of Destiny then became… … Wikipedia
108 Aquarii — Starbox begin name=108 Aquarii Starbox observe epoch=J2000 ra=23h 51m 21.3382s dec= 18° 54 prime; 32.988 Prime; appmag v=5.176 constell=Aquarius Starbox character class=Ap b v= 0.14 u b= 0.42 variable=Alpha² CVn Starbox astrometry radial v=12.7… … Wikipedia
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia — 108 Mile Ranch is a residential community of 700 homes situated in the South Cariboo region of British Columbia located in a historic area of ranches and lakes. Historically, en route to the great Cariboo Gold Rush, a few of the travellers… … Wikipedia
Number Pieces — Two time brackets from Five (1988), the first one flexible, the second fixed The term Number Pieces refers to a body of late compositions by John Cage. Each piece is named after the number of performers involved: for instance, Seven is a piece… … Wikipedia
Number theory — A Lehmer sieve an analog computer once used for finding primes and solving simple diophantine equations. Number theory is a branch of pure mathematics devoted primarily to the study of the integers. Number theorists study prime numbers (the… … Wikipedia
108 North State Street — Block 37 viewed from southeast (near Washington State) March 15, 2008 … Wikipedia
108 (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = 108 Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Birth name = Alias = Born = Died = Origin = New York City, New York, U.S. Instrument = Voice type = Genre = Hardcore punkMetalcore Occupation = Years… … Wikipedia
108 Hospital — Infobox Hospital Name = Army Central Hospital 108 Org/Group = Caption = Location = 1 Trần Hưng Đạo Street, Hoan Kiem District Region = Hanoi State = Country = Vietnam Coordinates = coord|21|01|05.18|N|105|51|41.81|E|display=inline,title… … Wikipedia
number game — Introduction any of various puzzles and games that involve aspects of mathematics. Mathematical recreations comprise puzzles and games that vary from naive amusements to sophisticated problems, some of which have never been solved.… … Universalium
108 Mile Ranch Airport — Infobox Airport name = 108 Mile Airport nativename = South Cariboo Regional Airport IATA = ZMH ICAO = CZML type = Public owner = operator = Cariboo Regional District city served = location = 108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia elevation f = 3,127… … Wikipedia