- Department of Energy (Philippines)
Department of Energy Kagawaran ng Enerhiya Department overview Formed December 9, 1992 Headquarters Energy Center, Merritt Rd., Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City Annual budget P930.064 million (2011) Department executive Jose Rene Almendras Website doe.gov.ph
The Philippines' Department of Energy (Filipino: Kagawaran ng Enerhiya), abbreviated as DOE is the executive department of the Philippine Government responsible for preparing, integrating, coordinating, supervising and controlling all plans, programs, projects and activities of the Government relative to energy exploration, development, utilization, distribution and conservation.
- 1 History
- 2 Organization
- 3 List of Secretaries/Ministers/Executive Directors of Energy
- 4 Major Projects
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The Department of Energy was created by then President Marcos as he Issued Presidential Decree No. 1206 which created the Ministry of Energy and attached the National Power Corporation and Philippine National Oil Company to this new agency. The Ministry was abolished during the Regime of Corazon Aquino. During the Regime of President Fidel V. Ramos, that Department was created by virtue of Republic Act No. 7638 otherwise known as the Department of Energy Act of 1992.
The Department was vested additional powers and functions under pertinent energy and power-related legislations, such as Republic Act No. 9136 or the "Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001", Republic Act No. 9367 or "Biofuels Act of 2006", and Republic Act No. 9513 or "Renewable Energy Act of 2008."
The Department is headed by the Secretary of Energy who is assisted by three Undersecretaries and three Assistant Secretaries. Under the Department are the Administrative Service, Financial Service, Information Technology and Management Service, Legal Service and Energy Research Testing and Laboratory Service.
The Department is composed of the following bureaus:
- Energy Resource Development Bureau,
- Energy Utilization Management Bureau,
- Energy Policy and Planning Bureau,
- Oil Industry Management Bureau,
- Electric Power Industry Management Bureau, and
- Renewable Energy Management Bureau.
The following units, agencies and corporations are attached to the Department:
- Presidential Task Force on the Security of Energy Facilities and Enforcement of Energy Laws and Standards (PTF-SEFEELS)
- National Biofuels Board (NBB)
- National Power Corporation (NPC)
- National Transmission Corporation (TransCo)
- National Electrification Administration (NEA)
- Philippine National Oil Company (PNOC)
- Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corporation (PSALM Corp.)
List of Secretaries/Ministers/Executive Directors of Energy
Picture Name Term of Office President(s) Served Under Geronimo Z. Velasco 1978 – 1986 Ferdinand Marcos Wenceslao R. De La Paz 1987 – 1992 Corazon Aquino Delfin L. Lazaro 1992 – 1994 Fidel V. Ramos Francisco L. Viray 1994 – 1998 Mario V. Tiaoqui 1998 – 2001 Joseph Ejercito Estrada Jose Isidro Camacho 2001 Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo Vincent S. Pérez, Jr. 2001 – 2005 Raphael P. M. Lotilla 2005 – 2007 Angelo Reyes 2007 – 2010 Jose Ibazeta (Acting) 2010 Jose Rene Almendras 2010 - Present Benigno Aquino III
Philippine Energy Plan 2009-2030
The Energy Plan for the period 2009-2030 mentions three broad policy thrusts based on the concept of enabling better energy choices for a better quality of life.
On April 28, 2010 Director Jesus Tamang of the Energy Policy and Planning Bureau explained that keeping the self-sufficiency level on nearly 60% will be challenging, but he also stated that a way to counterstreer this massive population growth was the countries future investments in new projects that are targeted in the Energy Plan.
The DOEs’ proposal consisting of these following three cornerstones that will have an important impact within the next 20 years on the country’s energy future:
Ensure energy Security
- Accelerate the exploration and development of oil, gas and coal resources
- Intensify development and utilization of renewable and environment-friendly alternative energy resources/technologies
- Enhance energy efficiency and conservation
- Put in place long-term reliable power supply
- Improve transmission and distribution systems
- Secure vital energy infrastructure and facilities
- Maintain a competitive energy investment climate
Pursue effective implementation of energy sector reforms
- Monitor the implementation of, and if necessary, recommend amendments to existing energy laws
- Promote an efficient, competitive, transparent and reliable energy sector
- Advocate the passage of new and necessary laws
- Expand reach through Information, Education and Communication
- Establish cross-sector monitoring mechanism in cooperation with other national government agencies, academe, local government units, non-government organizations and other local and international organizations
- Promote good governance
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Department of Energy (United Kingdom)
- Asian Development Bank
- World Recourses Institute
- USAID Asia
- ^ http://www.doe.gov.ph/PEP/default.htm
- ^ http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=rp&v=24
- ^ http://www.doe.gov.ph/efficiency/energy_outlook.htm
- ^ http://www.philippinechamber.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=846:doe-presents-philippine-energy-plan&catid=31:energy&Itemid=78
- "Secretaries of Energy". Philippine Department of Energy. Archived from the original on February 21, 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060221020200/http://www.doe.gov.ph/about_us/secretaries/default.htm. Retrieved April 10, 2006.
- Department of Energy (Philippines)
- Philippine Chamber of Comerce and Industry
- Population Growth Index
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Department of Tourism (Philippines) — Department of Tourism Kagawaran ng Turismo … Wikipedia
Department of Education (Philippines) — Department of Education Kagawaran ng Edukasyon Department overview Formed 21 January 1901 Headquarters DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City … Wikipedia
Department of Agriculture (Philippines) — Department of Agriculture Kagawaran ng Pagsasaka Department overview Formed June 23, 1898 Headquarters Elliptical Road, Di … Wikipedia
Department of Health (Philippines) — Department of Health Kagawaran ng Kalusugan Department overview Formed September 29, 1898 Headquarters San Lazaro … Wikipedia
Department of Justice (Philippines) — Department of Justice Kagawaran ng Katarungan Department overview Formed September 26, 1898 (1898 09 26) Headquarters … Wikipedia
Department of Finance (Philippines) — Department of Finance Kagawaran ng Pananalapi Department overview Formed March 17, 1897 Headquarters DOF Building, Roxas Boulevard corner P. Ocampo Street … Wikipedia
Department of Energy — The term Department of Energy is used by government departments in a number of countries and may refer to: Secretariat of Energy (Mexico) Department of Energy (Philippines) United States Department of Energy United Kingdom Department of Energy… … Wikipedia
Department of Science and Technology (Philippines) — Department of Science and Technology Kagawaran ng Agham at Teknolohiya Department overview Formed January 30, 1987 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Department of Trade and Industry (Philippines) — Department of Trade and Industry Kagawaran ng Kalakalan at Industriya Department overview Formed June 23, 1898 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Department of Agrarian Reform — Kagawaran ng Repormang Pansakahan Department overview Formed September 1, 1971 Headquarters … Wikipedia