- Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
name = Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
status = LC | status_system = IUCN3.1
phylum = Chordata
classis = Aves
genus = "
species = "P. caerulea"
binomial = "Polioptila caerulea"
binomial_authority = (Linnaeus, 1766)
The Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, "Polioptila caerulea", is a very small
Adults are blue-grey on the upperparts with white underparts, with a long slender bill and a long black tail. They have a white eye ring.
Their breeding habitat is open
deciduouswoods and shrublands in southern Ontario, the eastern and southwestern United States, and Mexico. They build a cup nest similar in construction to a hummingbirdnest on a horizontal tree branch. Both parents construct the nest and feed the young; they may raise two broods in a season.
These birds migrate to the southern United States,
Mexico, northern Central America-( Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras), Cuba, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, and the Cayman Islands.
The tail is often held upright while defending territory or searching for food.
* Database entry includes justification for why this species is of least concern
* [http://www.sdakotabirds.com/species/blue_gray_gnatcatcher_info.htm Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Information and Photos] - South Dakota Birds and Birding
* [http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7510id.html Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - "Polioptila caerula"] - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
* [http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Blue-gray_Gnatcatcher.html Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Species Account] - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
* [http://www.bird-stamps.org/cspecies/14100400.htm Blue-grey Gnatcatcher stamps] (with RangeMap)-Turks and Caicos
* [http://ibc.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/especie.phtml?idEspecie=6404 Blue-grey Gnatcatcher videos] on the Internet Bird Collection
* [http://vireo.acnatsci.org/search.html?Form=Search&SEARCHBY=Common&KEYWORDS=blue-gray+gnatcatcher&showwhat=images&AGE=All&SEX=All&ACT=All&Search=Search&VIEW=All&ORIENTATION=All&RESULTS=24 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher photo gallery] VIREO
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
blue-gray gnatcatcher — noun : a common gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea caerulea) of the eastern United States of which the male is bluish gray above … Useful english dictionary
Gnatcatcher — Taxobox name = Gnatcatchers image caption = Polioptila californica regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Passeriformes subordo = Passeri familia = Polioptilidae familia authority = Baird, 1858 subdivision ranks = Genera… … Wikipedia
gnatcatcher — /nat kach euhr/, n. any tiny insect eating, New World warbler of the genus Polioptila, having a long, mobile tail and a slender bill. [1835 45; GNAT + CATCHER] * * * Any of about 11 species of small songbirds (genus Polioptila) often treated as a … Universalium
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher — Taxobox name = Black tailed Gnatcatcher status = LC | status system = IUCN3.1 regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Passeriformes familia = Polioptilidae genus = Polioptila species = P. melanura binomial = Polioptila melanura… … Wikipedia
California Gnatcatcher — Taxobox name = California Gnatcatcher status = EN | status system = IUCN3.1 image width = 250px regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Passeriformes familia = Polioptilidae genus = Polioptila species = P. californica binomial … Wikipedia
List of birds of Mexico — This is a list of the bird species recorded in Mexico. The avifauna of Mexico includes a total of 1,085 species, of which 108 are endemic, six have been introduced by humans, and 51 are rare or accidental. One species listed is extirpated in… … Wikipedia
List of United States birds — This list of United States birds is a comprehensive listing of all the bird species known from the United States as of July, 2008. It does include species recorded in all 50 states.Continental United States birds most closely resemble those of… … Wikipedia
List of birds of Canada and the United States — A five year old Golden Eagle North American birds most closely resemble those of Eurasia, which was connected to the continent as part of the supercontinent Laurasia until around 60 million years ago. Many groups occur throughout the northern… … Wikipedia
List of birds in Canada and the United States — This list of birds in Canada and the United States is a comprehensive listing of all the bird species known from the North American continent north of Mexico as of July 2008.North American birds most closely resemble those of Eurasia, which was… … Wikipedia
List of California birds — This list of California birds is a comprehensive listing of all the bird species seen naturally in the U.S. state of California as determined by the California Birds Records Committee (CBRC).There are, as of 2007, 634 species on this list.… … Wikipedia