- Dilip Prabhavalkar
Dilip Prabhavalkar (Marathi: दिलीप प्रभावळकर) is an Indian Marathi film and television actor. Although he has established himself as a prominent Marathi stage and movie actor for a while now, he became particularly known on the national scene for his portrayal of Mahatma Gandhi in the 2006 film, Lage Raho Munna Bhai. He reprised the role of Gandhi in the Telugu language remake, Shankar Dada Zindabad. He has recently appeared in Sarkar Raj as Rao Saab.
Dilip Prabhavalkar gained a Master's degree in Biophysics and a diploma from the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, before working for a pharmaceutical company and as a partner in a video production unit. During this period, he performed as an actor in several children's plays and experimental plays staged at Chhabildas.
His first major performance was in Lobh Nasava Hi Vinanti a play written by Vijay Tendulkar and directed by Arvind Deshpande. In 1991, however, he decided to choose acting as a career.
In children's and amateur theatre, Prabhavalkar was associated with Ratnakar Matkari's group and performed in all the plays staged by the troupe. His performances of a simpleton in Prem Kahani and Vidur in Aranyak - a play based on the Mahabharat - were awarded prizes at the Maharashtra State Drama Festival.
He gained huge popularity because of his role as Chimanrao in the television serial "Chimanrao Gundyabhau" based on a series of short stories by C.V. Joshi. His Chimanrao is still popular and he recreated this character in his play Hasva Phasvi.
Dilip Prabhavalkar also starred in a Bollywood movie Encounter: The Killing as an old gangster, Punappa Avade in 2002. However, he achieved nationwide recognition when he portrayed the role of Mahatma Gandhi in 2006 film Lage Raho Munna Bhai. The film created a nationwide awareness of Gandhian thoughts through the protagonist Munnabhai played by Sanjay Dutt. He reprised his role in Telugu remake of this movie called Shankar Dada Zindabad. His acting in a Marathi TV Serial " Shreeyut Gangadhar Tipare", as Mr. Gangadhar Tipare gained a huge polularity. In this serial he portrayed an elderly senior citizen in a joint family. The serial covered social issues faced by common man in his day to day life.
- He was awarded the prestigious "Bal Gandharva Puraskar(Award)" in June 2006. This award is given to persons that excel in the field of Arts like Acting, Music etc.
- In 1992, he received the Maharashtra State award for best actor for his portrayal of a disabled boy in the film Chaukat Raja.
- In 2008, he won Two National Awards, both for best supporting actor in two films, namely the cult 2006 blockbuster 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' and Shevri, a Marathi film.
Film, television, and theater
Film and television
- Deool (2011)
- Jhing Chik Jhing (2010)- Kavi
- bokya satbande (2009)
- Sankat City (2009) - Ganpat Gajanan Jagirdar
- Sarkar Raj (2008) - Rao Saab
- Shankar Dada Zindabad (2007) - Mahatma Gandhi
- Shiva (2006) - Chief Minister
- Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006) - Mahatma Gandhi
- Paheli (2005)
- Aga Bai Arrecha (2004) - Shriranga Deshmukh's father
- Chupke Se (2003) - Mega's father/Income Tax officer
- Encounter The killing (2002) - Ponappa
- Shriyut Gangadhar Tipre, ZeeTv Marathi (2001)
- Ratra Aarambha (1999)
- Sarkarnama (1997) - Cultural Minister
- Zapatlela (1992)
- Chaukat Raja (1991)
- Ek Daav Bhutacha (1982)
- Chimanrao, Doordarshan, 1977-79.
- Double role as Anna and the mother-in-law in Pradeep Dalvi's farce Vasuchi Sasu.
- The young as well as old Rajabhau in Chook Bhool Dyavi Ghyavi - a light comedy written by Prabhavalkar.
- The caring but possessive father in Ratnakar Matkari's drama Jawai Maza Bhala.
- The senile Nana in Jaywant Dalvi's Sandhyachhaya.
- The double role of the debonair, flirtatious Raje and a local constable in Prof. Toradmal's Kalam 302 (adaptation of Sleuth).
- The alcoholic barrister in Ratnakar Matkari's Ghar Tighancha Hava (a play on the life of Tarabai Modak).
- The nondescript but determined common man in P. L. Deshpande's Ek Zunj Waryashi (an adaptation of The Last Appointment).
- The father of a disabled son in Jaywant Dalvi's Natigoti.
- Six different characterisations in Hasvaphasvi, a comedy written by Prabhavalkar.
- A buck-toothed apparently harmless man who in reality is a twisted, evil man in Salsood.
- A naive, innocent schoolteacher who is assisted by a ghost in Ek Dav Bhutacha.
- Shriyut Gangadhar Tipre as Aaba
- Official Site
- Bokya Satbande: Marathi movie writeen by Dilip prabhavalkar
- This Bapu wants to go under cover on Oct 2
- His moment under the sun: Unsung Dilip Prabhawalkar's life has changed after playing Mahatma Gandhi in the record-breaking film "Lage Raho Munna Bhai"
- Dilip Prabhavalkar at the Internet Movie Database
- Dilip Prabhavalkar pictures
National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor 1985–2000
Victor Banerjee (1985) · Deepankar De (1986) · Suresh Oberoi (1987) · Thilakan (1988) · Pankaj Kapoor (1989) · Nana Patekar (1990) · Nedumudi Venu (1991) · P. L. Narayana (1992) · Sunny Deol (1993) · Paresh Rawal (1994) · Ashish Vidyarthi and Nagesh (1995) · Mithun Chakraborty (1996) · Nana Patekar (1997) · Prakash Raj (1998) · Manoj Bajpai (1999) · Atul Kulkarni (2000)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dilip — may refer to: Dilip: King in Hindu mythology Dilip Rayamajhi, Nepali actor Dilip Kumar, Indian actor Dilip Chhabria, Indian automobile designer Dilip Chitre, Indian writer and critic Dilip D Souza, Indian writer and journalist Dilip Doshi, former … Wikipedia
Sarkar Raj — Infobox Film name = Sarkar Raj caption = Movie poster for Sarkar Raj genre = Drama Thriller Crime Politics series = Sarkar director = Ram Gopal Varma producer = K Sera Sera, Z Picture Company writer = Prashant Pandey Ram Gopal Varma starring =… … Wikipedia
Lage Raho Munna Bhai — Infobox Film name = Lage Raho Munna Bhai caption = Film poster for Lage Raho Munna Bhai director = Rajkumar Hirani producer = Vidhu Vinod Chopra writer = Rajkumar Hirani (screenplay) Abhijat Joshi (screenplay) Vidhu Vinod Chopra (screenplay… … Wikipedia
Chaukat Raja (film) — Chaukat Raja (चौकट राजा) Directed by Sanjay Soorkar Produced by Smita Talvalkar Starring Dilip Prabhavalkar Sulabha Deshpande Dilip Kulkarni Ashok Saraf Smita Talvalkar … Wikipedia
Naseeruddin Shah — نصیرالدین شاہ नसीरुद्दीन शाह 225px Naseeruddin Shah Born 20 July 1950 (1950 07 20) (age 61) Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh, India Occupation Actor … Wikipedia
List of Saraswats — This list comprises prominent Saraswat Brahmins (includes Mohalya Saraswats, Bhalavalikar/Rajapur Saraswat Brahmins, Chitrapur Saraswat Brhamins, Kashmiri Saraswat Brahmins, Punjabi Saraswat Brahmins, U.P. Saraswat Brahmins, Kumaoni Saraswat… … Wikipedia
Shankar Dada Zindabad — Infobox Film name = Shankar Dada Zindabad caption = director = Prabhu Deva producer = Akkineni Ravishankal, Gemini Kilan eproducer = aproducer = writel = Rajkumal Hilani Paluchuri Blothers starring = Chiranjeevi, Srikanth, Karishma Kotak, Dilip… … Wikipedia
Ek Daav Bhutacha — Infobox Film name = Ek Daav Bhutacha image size = caption = director = Ravi Namade producer = Ravi Namade writer = narrator = starring = Dilip Prabhavalkar, Ashok Saraf, Ranjana, Mohan Kothiwan, Ram Nagarkar music = Bhaskar Chandavarkar… … Wikipedia
Sarkar Raj — (Hindi: सरकार राज) est un film indien réalisé par Ram Gopal Varma en 2008 avec Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Dilip Prabhavalkar, Victor Banerjee, Tanisha Mukherjee et Supriya Pathak. C’est un film politique qui se… … Wikipédia en Français
List of Indian film actors — AlphanumericTOC align=center numbers= references=| top=| externallinks=|A* Aamir Khan * Amol Palekar * Amrish Puri * Anil Kapoor * Anupam Kher * Arjun Sarja * Amitabh Bachchan * Abhishek Bachchan * Aditya Pancholi * Aftab Shivdasani * Ajay Devgan … Wikipedia