- Western Crowned Pigeon
name = Western Crowned Pigeon
status = VU | status_system = IUCN3.1
trend = down
image_width = 240px
phylum = Chordata
classis = Aves
familia = Columbidae
genus = "Goura"
species = "G. cristata"
binomial = "Goura cristata"
binomial_authority = (Pallas, 1764)The Western Crowned Pigeon or Common Crowned Pigeon, "Goura cristata", is a large, turkey-sized, approximately 75cm long, blue-
greypigeon with blue lacy crests over the head and dark blue mask feathers around its eyes. Both sexes are almost similar but males are often larger than females.
Along with its close and very similar looking relatives the
Victoria Crowned Pigeonand the Southern Crowned Pigeon, it is one of the largest and is consideredone of the most beautiful members of the pigeonfamily. The Western Crowned Pigeon is found and endemic to the lowlandrainforests of Papua, Indonesiasection of New Guinea; the other species of crowned pigeon inhabit different regions of the island. The diet consists mainly of fruits and seeds.
Hunted for food and its plumes, it remains common only in remote areas. Due to ongoing habitat loss, limited range and overhunting in some areas, the Western Crowned Pigeon is evaluated as Vulnerable on the
IUCN Red Listof Threatened Species. It is listed in Appendix II of CITES.
* Database entry includes a range map and justification for why this species is vulnerable
* ARKive - [http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/birds/Goura_cristata/ images and movies of the Western Crowned Pigeon "(Goura cristata)"]
* [http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=2754&m=0 BirdLife Species Factsheet]
* [http://www.redlist.org/search/details.php?species=9412 IUCN Red List]
* [http://www.rdb.or.id/detailbird.php?id=67 Red Data Book]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.