- List of political parties in Denmark
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
Denmark has a multi-party system, with two or three strong parties, and four or five other significant parties. The government typically consists of several parties and a small number of supporting parties. No party has won an outright majority since 1901. All governments since then have either been one-party minority governments or coalitions between two or more parties. No single party has formed a government alone since 1982.
The Ministry of Social Welfare registers and validates party names and the official party letters for all parties that participate in national elections. On ballots, the parties are sorted alphabetically by party letter.
Parties represented in the Folketing or the European Parliament
Party letter Party name Representation after the 2011 parliamentary election Comments Folketing (parliament) European Parliament V Venstre Venstre, Danmarks liberale parti (Venstre, Denmark's Liberal Party) 47 3 Centre-right, liberal party. Leader: Lars Løkke Rasmussen A Social Democrats Socialdemokraterne  44 4 Centre-left, social democratic. Leader: Helle Thorning-Schmidt O Danish People's Party Dansk Folkeparti 22 2 Right-wing, National, populist, conservative. Leader: Pia Kjærsgaard F Socialist People's Party Socialistisk Folkeparti 16 2 Left-wing, socialist and green. Leader: Villy Søvndal C Conservative People's Party Det Konservative Folkeparti 8 1 Conservative. Leader: Lars Barfoed B Danish Social Liberal Party Det Radikale Venstre 17 0 Social-liberal. Parliamentary group leader: Margrethe Vestager Ø Red-Green Alliance Enhedslisten 12 0 Originally an alliance of Communist Party of Denmark Danmarks Kommunistiske Parti, Socialist Workers' Party Socialistisk Arbejderparti and the Left Socialists Venstresocialisterne. Has collective leadership. I Liberal Alliance Liberal Alliance 9 0 Centre-right, liberal party. Leader: Anders Samuelsen N People's Movement against the EU Folkebevægelsen mod EU 0 1 Euroscepticism, Sovereignty, Nonpartisan. Has collective leadership
Parties without parliamentary representation (in the Folketing or European Parliament)
- K Christian Democrats (Kristendemokraterne). Last represented in the Folketing 2010-2011 by Per Ørum Jørgensen (formerly Conservative).
- Z Progress Party (Fremskridtspartiet). Last represented in the 1998-2001 Folketing.
- S Schleswig Party (Slesvigsk Parti). Represents the German minority in South Jutland. Last represented in the Folketing in the 1950s. Represented in the municipal councils of Aabenraa, Tønder and Sønderborg municipalities. Holds an observer's seat in Haderslev municipal council.
The following parties still exist but have remained without representation in either Folketing or the European Parliament for at least 20 years.
- E Justice Party of Denmark (Retsforbundet). Last represented in the 1979-1981 Folketing.
- K Communist Party of Denmark (Danmarks Kommunistiske Parti). Last represented in the 1977-1979 Folketing.
- U Independent Party (De Uafhængige). Last represented in the Folketing 1973-1974.
- Y Left Socialists (Venstresocialisterne) Last represented in the 1984-1987 Folketing.
- Å National Socialist Movement of Denmark (Danmarks Nationalsocialistiske Bevægelse). Never represented in either Folketing or European Parliament. Considers itself the heir of the DNSAP which was last represented in the 1943 Folketing.
- Bjørnbakkernes Venstre
- F Farmers' Party (Bondepartiet)
- D Centre Democrats (Centrum-Demokraterne).
- P Common Course (Fælles Kurs)
- Communist League (Kommunistisk Forbund)
- R Danish Unity (Dansk Samling)
- G Danish People's Party, First (Dansk Folkeparti)
- Danmarks Venstresocialistiske Parti
- Det Forenede Venstre
- Free Conservatives (Frikonservative)
- Free People's Party (Det Frie Folkeparti)
- Free Social Democrats (Frie Socialdemokrater)
- Frihed 2000 (not registered as a party but represented in parliament as a parliamentary group)
- V Hovedstadens Venstre (split of Venstre that only existed to contest the 1947 Folketing election in order to exploit a peculiarity of the election law)
- Independent Party (De Uafhængige)
- J June Movement (Juni Bevægelsen; represented in the European Parliament)
- L Liberal Centre (Liberalt Centrum)
- M Minority Party (Minoritetspartiet)
- Moderate Venstre
- N National Socialist Workers' Party of Denmark (Danmarks Nationalsocialistiske Arbejderparti)
- National Liberal Party (De Nationalliberale)
- M Peace Politics People's Party (Fredspolitisk Folkeparti)
- Society of the Friends of Peasants (Bondevennernes Selskab)
- D The Free Democrats (De Frie Demokrater)
- Union of Conscientiously Work-Shy Elements (Sammenslutning af Bevidst Arbejdssky Elementer)
- Venstre Reform Party (Venstrereformpartiet)
- List of political parties
- Liberalism and radicalism in Denmark
- Youth wings of political parties in Denmark
- ^ The party's former name, "Socialdemokratiet", is still frequently used.
Political parties in DenmarkBracketed numbers indicate numbers of seats in the respective parliaments. The FolketingVenstre (47) · Social Democrats (44) · Danish People's Party (22) · Danish Social Liberal Party (17) · Socialist People's Party (16) · Red-Green Alliance (12) · Liberal Alliance (9) · Conservative People's Party (8) · Siumut (Greenland) (1) · Inuit Ataqatigiit (Greenland) (1) · Social Democratic Party (Faroe Islands) (1) · Union Party (Faroe Islands) (1) · European
List of political parties in Europe Sovereign
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Northern Ireland
- Vatican City
States with limited
and other territories
- European Union
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of political parties in the Netherlands — Members of the four parties with parliamentary representation since 1980 and participation in government: PvdA, D66, CDA and VVD (from the left). Ulft, shortly before the municipal elections of 2010. This article lists political parties in the… … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Croatia — Croatia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Croatia … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Northern Ireland — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Kosovo — Kosovo This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Kosovo Political status of Kosovo Declaration of independence … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Switzerland — The political positions of the voters and leaders of the five major parties (2007). This is a list of political parties in Switzerland. Switzerland has a multi party system. Since 1959, the four largest parties have formed a coalition government … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Serbia — Serbia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Serbia … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Norway — Norway This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Norway … Wikipedia
List of frivolous political parties — This is a list of political parties that have been created for various frivolous purposes: parody, joke, hoax, etc. Contents 1 Australia 2 Austria–Hungary 3 … Wikipedia
List of conservative parties by country — See Conservative Party (disambiguation) to locate political parties that are actually so named. Part of a series on Conservatism … Wikipedia
List of communist parties — Communist parties … Wikipedia