- Space Battleship Yamato (spaceship)
* : six forward-firing torpedo tubes, principally for use underwater.
* : a fleet of fighter planes, contained within a hangar in the ship's rear underside. The Black Tiger fighters of the first season are superseded by the Cosmo Tigers of the second season, though both seasons feature the Cosmo Zero fighter piloted by Susumu Kodai (Derek Wildstar in "Star Blazers"), which is usually launched from one of the catapults on the top deck near the stern. The hangar also contains other, non-combat planes for reconnaissance and transport.
* : a defence conceived by chief scientist Sanada (Sandor in "Star Blazers") when he realised that the Wave Motion Gun is merely an extremely powerful
laser, this involves quickly covering the "Yamato" entirely with reflective material; this was only used once, when Gamilon leader Desler (Desslok) used his self-titled Desler Gun against the Earth ship, and successfully reflected the blast back against its source.
* nihongo|Bubble shield|防塵カバー|Bōjin Cover: although the "Yamato" lacks defensive shields like those used in "
Star Trek", on one occasion (while trapped in the Octopus Cluster) it generated a shield over its decks which protected it from the fury of a space storm, and even maintained a breathable atmosphere.
* [http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/ "Space Battleship Yamato"] at the Starship Schematic Database
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Space Battleship Yamato — Infobox animanga/Header name = caption = ja kanji = 宇宙戦艦ヤマト ja romaji = Uchū Senkan Yamato genre = Drama, Military, Science FictionInfobox animanga/Anime director = Leiji Matsumoto writer = Leiji Matsumoto studio = Academy Productions licensor =… … Wikipedia
Space Battleship Yamato II — Infobox animanga/Header name = Space Battleship Yamato II caption = ja name = 宇宙戦艦ヤマト2 ja name trans = Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2 genre = Adventure, Science FictionInfobox animanga/Anime title = director = Leiji Matsumoto writer = Noboru Ishiguro… … Wikipedia
Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato — Farewell Space Battleship Yamato Directed by Leiji Matsumoto Toshio Masuda Produced by Toshio Masuda Written by Leiji Matsumoto … Wikipedia
Space battleships and battlecruisers — A space battleship is a spacefaring warship in science fiction which functions similarly to a contemporary aircraft carrier and/or battleship. It is usually home to multiple single or multi pilot fighters as well as heavy defensive and offensive… … Wikipedia
Dai Yamato Zero-go — 大ヤマト零号 Genre Adventure, Science Fiction Original video animation Directed by Tomoharu Katsumata … Wikipedia
List of fictional spaceships — This is a list of fictional spacecraft, starships, and exo atmospheric vessels that have been identified by name in published works of fiction (novels, films, television series, etc). This list does not include most ships from Star Wars or Star… … Wikipedia
Leiji Matsumoto — in 2008 Birth name Akira Matsumoto (松本 晟, Matsumoto Akira … Wikipedia
Noboru Ishiguro — (石黒昇,, Ishiguro Noboru?, born August 24, 1938 in Tokyo, Japan) is a Japanese animator who is noteworthy for directing the anime series The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, The Super Dimension Century Orguss, Yōkai Ningen Bem, Megazone 23, Legend … Wikipedia
Queen Emeraldas — クィーン・エメラルダス Genre Space opera Original video animation Directed by Yuji Asada Studio … Wikipedia
Planets in science fiction — are fictional planets that appear in various media, especially those of the science fiction genre, as story settings or depicted locations. [cite book last = Mann first = George authorlink = coauthors = title = The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Science … Wikipedia