- Lord Byng Secondary School
Lord Byng Secondary School (Latin)
Guardian of Morals
Address 3939 West 16th Avenue
Vancouver, British Columbia, V5R 3C9, Canada
Coordinates Coordinates: Information School number 03939038 School board School District 39 Vancouver Religious affiliation none Superintendent Steve Cardwell Area trustee Sharon Gregson Principal Maria Taddei Vice principal Alec MacInnes, Jim Rutley Administrator Rita Nardi School type Public high school Grades 8-12 Language English Area West Point Grey Team name Grey Ghosts Colours Scarlet and Grey Founded 1925 Enrolment 1325  (2009) Homepage byng.vsb.bc.ca
Lord Byng Secondary School is a grade 8-12 school located in the West Point Grey neighbourhood on the west side of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The school officially opened in 1925 and was named in honour of The Lord Byng of Vimy, a hero of Vimy Ridge as well as the Gallipoli Campaign, and was largely responsible for the incorporation of tanks on a large scale at the Battle of Cambrai in 1917. At the time during which the school opened, Lord Byng was the Governor General of Canada.
The school was expanded in 2003 with a new library and gymnasium, as well as studios and classrooms. After being ranked the most vulnerable school to earthquakes in 2004/05, Lord Byng Secondary became the site of a seismic upgrade. Construction ended in the summer of 2005.
Byng Arts Mini School
The Byng Arts Mini School is a program for students which places artistic development at the core of the high school experience through enrichment in the fine arts as well as academics. Traditionally, students have specialized in Visual Arts, Band, Strings, or Theatre, but options have expanded to include Literary and Media Arts.
The School offers an intensive program that is designed for students who wish to direct their energies and passions towards the arts, to work within a community of students who share their interests, and to maintain strong academic achievement.
The program promotes both academic and artistic excellence while fostering interdisciplinary awareness and individual creativity through curricular and extracurricular activities in the fine arts, literary arts and applied fine arts.
Lord Byng Music Department
Under the direction of the Fine Arts department head, Scott MacLennan, Lord Byng has one of the best music programs in the Lower Mainland. Many of the groups, including the high-level Honour Orchestra and Senior Wind Ensemble, have consistently placed 1st or gold in provincial and national competitions (such as Kiwanis and MusicFest Canada). In 2008, the Honour Orchestra won the trophy for first place at the Northwest Orchestra Festival, competing against advanced American school orchestras.
The Lord Byng Symphony Orchestra is a unique feature of Lord Byng, and one of the only public school symphony orchestras in the province. Students are expected to perform unabridged symphonies and pieces. A few grade 12 soloists (usually one per term) are chosen to perform concertos.
Lord Byng offers a variety of programs, both in band and strings. Listed below are some of the classes that are currently offered:
- Beginner Band
- Junior Band
- Intermediate Band
- Senior Band / Wind Ensemble
- Junior Jazz Band
- Intermediate Jazz Band
- Senior Jazz Band
- Beginner Orchestra
- Intermediate Orchestra
- Senior Orchestra
- Junior Honour Orchestra
- Senior Honour Orchestra
- Symphony Orchestra
- Junior Symphony Orchestra
Lord Byng Secondary School received a rating of 9.2 out of 10 in 2007 from an independent reviewer. It ranked 13th out of the 291 schools ranked in that same review. As of 2006, Lord Byng was tied with University Hill as the top overall ranked public school in the Lower Mainland.
Lord Byng and Hollywood
- Lord Byng's interiors were used for the hospital scenes. Its exteriors stood in for a fictional Harding High School in Wisconsin during the second-season premiere of Masters of Horror
- Areas of the school were used in the filming of Hollow Man 2.
- School's yards were used in the filming of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. 
- Some students from the band and orchestra of the school were cast as extras in Marianas Trench "Beside You" music video that took place in the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at the University of British Columbia.
- A number of students from the Symphony Orchestra were asked to be play accompaniment for the song Wavin' Flag" which was a song written by K'Naan for the Haiti Relief Fund. This song features many well-known Canadian singers such as Avril Lavigne, Justin Bieber, Hedley, Josh Ramsay from Marianas Trench, Nikki Yanofsky etc. Lord Byng students took part in both the soundtrack and the music video recording in 2010.
- Lord Byng Secondary School doubles as Rosewood High in Pretty Little Liars and Finnegan High in Mr. Young
- Scenes from the movie Saving Silverman were filmed at the front of Lord Byng.
- Dan Mangan, Canadian folk/indie singer
- Elizabeth Ball, Vancouver city councillor
- Stan Douglas, Canadian installation artist
- Marcus Haber, Canadian soccer player
- Chris Haddock, screenwriter and television producer (Da Vinci's Inquest)
- Cory Lee, Canadian pop singer
- Medrie MacPhee, Canadian painter and screenwriter
- Shaone Morrisonn, professional hockey player for the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres
- Joyce Murray, Former BC Cabinet Minister and Liberal MP for Vancouver Quadra
- Eric Nicol, Canadian humourist and playwright
- Phil Nimmons, Canadian jazz clarinetist, composer, bandleader, and academic
- Carly Pope, Canadian actress, co-star of Young People Fucking
- Ross Rebagliati, first ever to win an Olympic gold medal for snowboarding
- Doreen Patterson Reitsma, Canadian Naval Pioneer
- Cobie Smulders, Canadian actress
- Kimberley Stanfield, Playboy Playmate of the Month for July 2001
- Sophia Santi, Penthouse Pet of the Month November 2002
- ^ a b c "Lord Byng Staff Directory". Lord Byng Secondary School. 2011-09-23. http://byng.vsb.bc.ca/teacher.html. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- ^ Ready Reference March 2008
- ^ "Battle of Cambrai 1917". Wikipedia. November 20 to December 7, 1917. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cambrai_%281917%29.
- ^ "B.C. school stages controversial 'Laramie Project'". CBC Arts. January 11, 2006. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12. http://web.archive.org/web/20060113175459/http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/01/11/laramie-project.html.
- ^ Vancouver School Board Mini School Information
- ^ Lord Byng Symphony Orchestra
- ^ "Info on ‘extensive’ Wolverine filming". http://filmonic.com/info-extensive-wolverine-filming. Retrieved 2007-09-20.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Matthew McNair Secondary School — Matthew McNair Secondary Address 9500 No. 4 Rd Richmond, British Columbia … Wikipedia
McMath Secondary School — Robert Alexander McMath Secondary Together We Learn Address 4251 Garry St Richmond, Br … Wikipedia
McRoberts Secondary School — Hugh McRoberts Secondary School Address 8980 Williams Road Richmond, British Columbia, V7A 1G6 … Wikipedia
Charles E. London Secondary School — Address 10331 Gilbert Road Richmond, British Columbia … Wikipedia
Sir Charles Tupper Secondary School — Address 419 East 24th Avenue Vancouver, British Columbia, V5V 2A2, Canada Information School board … Wikipedia
Notre Dame Regional Secondary School — For other schools of the same name, see Notre Dame High School (disambiguation). Notre Dame Regional Secondary New building entrance of Notre Dame 2880 Venables Street (opened May 6th 2010) … Wikipedia
Magee Secondary School — Esse Quam Videri To be, rather than to seem to be … Wikipedia
David Thompson Secondary School (Vancouver) — David Thompson Secondary School Nos Quoque Exploremus (Latin) Let Us Explore Address … Wikipedia
Byng Arts Mini School — is a School District 39 Vancouver Mini School program [ [http://www.vsb.bc.ca/vsbprograms/kto12/apfe/default.htm VSB Mini School Listing] ] for Literary, Media, Visual, Music, and Performing Arts. The school is located within Lord Byng Secondary… … Wikipedia
Byng — may refer to:* Byng, Oklahoma, a small town in Pontotoc County. * Byng Inlet, Ontario, a ghost town in Parry Sound District. * John Byng (1704–1757), a British admiral, shot by sentence of a court martial. * George Byng, one of several Viscounts… … Wikipedia