- The Mitchell and Webb Situation
The Mitchell and Webb Situation
The opening titles of the show
Genre Comedy sketch series Created by David Mitchell
Directed by David Kerr Starring David Mitchell
Theme music composer The Holloway Brothers Country of origin United Kingdom Language(s) English No. of seasons 1 No. of episodes 6 Production Producer(s) Simon Lupton Camera setup Andy Hollis Broadcast Original channel Play UK Original airing 2001 Chronology Related shows That Mitchell and Webb Look
That Mitchell and Webb Sound
The Mitchell and Webb Situation was a British television sketch show shown on Play UK in 2001. Written by and starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, it lasted for one series of six episodes and was released on region 2 DVD in 2006 by Eureka Video. It was rebroadcast on BBC Two in October 2008.
Mitchell and Webb did not have to pitch the show, Play UK came to them, asking if they wanted to make a sketch show for their channel. The entire series took fifteen days to film. David Kerr had storyboarded each episode, and knew exactly how he wanted the show to be filmed before filming had begun. Most of the filming took place at the United States International University of Bushey (formerly the Royal Masonic School for Boys), which had several "good sketch locations" available. This saved time, as it meant that most the programme could be filmed in one place, rather than frequently having to move around.
Despite the fact that the show only ran for one series it was reasonably well received. Wessex Scene's Darren Richman said "what the series lacked in budget, it made up for in magnificent material" and went on to call it "far superior to the vastly overrated Little Britain" and "perhaps the greatest forgotten sketch show of modern times." Eureka! TV said that the show "gushes forth an hilarious stream of surreal and quirkily inventive sketches", as well as calling it a "cult success". Eureka! TV released The Mitchell and Webb Situation on DVD in 2006. In an interview with Wessex Scene, Mitchell stated that he was "more proud of the way it turned out than annoyed that it was only aired on a small channel."
Although there are no recurring named characters as seen in many other sketch shows, some recurring sketches include:
- Two writers who attempt to dream up scripts for things which actually already exist, for example religion, fairy tales, and the human reproductive cycle. They debate how the item in question should work, and often come to the conclusion that the way it works in real life is a ridiculous way to operate.
- Two bar staff who make sound effects that make other people believe an event is occurring. After they make a "Ring ring" sound, for example, a woman checks to see if her phone is ringing.
- A farmer who was apparently shocked when he first entered the industry and learnt that farmers make money selling commodities that they obtain from the ground or from animals, and acts as if by mentioning this he is revealing a major secret to the viewer.
- The Early 1990s House - in a parody of shows such as The 1900 House, a couple in 2001 are forced to live with only those amenities available in the early 1990s, and find coping with slow internet connections and the inability to dial 1471 a struggle.
- A parody of the movie Suspicion, with Webb portraying a would-be murderer frequently attempting to poison his bedridden friend (Mitchell); however, the murderer's attempts at concealing his intentions are increasingly feeble and easily uncovered by the sharp-minded friend.
- As the end titles run a scene depicting Mitchell and Webb as tramps is shown, with a different punchline for each episode.
A sketch about an abortion clinic was cut from the show as Mitchell and Webb agreed that it made it look as though they thought the prospect of a woman having a miscarriage was funny.
- ^ a b c d e Mitchell, David; Webb; Robert (2005). The Mitchell and Webb Situation DVD - Interview with David Mitchell and Robert Webb (DVD). Eureka! Video.
- ^ a b Richman, Darren (2005-03-07). "David 'peep show' Mitchell Interview". Wessex Scene. Archived from the original on 2007-08-03. http://web.archive.org/web/20070803172224/http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/article.php?sid=1011. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- ^ "THE MITCHELL & WEBB SITUATION". Eureka! TV. http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/tv/the-mitchell-webb-situation/. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- The Mitchell and Webb Situation at the Internet Movie Database
- The Mitchell and Webb Situation at the British Comedy Guide
Mitchell and Webb TV shows Radio showsThat Mitchell and Webb Sound · Daydream Believers Tours Films BooksThis Mitchell and Webb Book See also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mitchell and Webb — Robert Webb (left) and David Mitchell Mitchell and Webb are a British comedy double act, comprising David Mitchell (born 14 July 1974) and Robert Webb (born 29 September 1972). They are best known for starring in the Channel 4 sitcom Peep Show.… … Wikipedia
That Mitchell and Webb Look — Format Comedy sketch show Starring David Mitchell Robert … Wikipedia
That Mitchell and Webb Sound — Infobox Radio Show show name = That Mitchell and Webb Sound imagesize = 200px caption = The cover of That Mitchell and Webb Sound Series 2, with Webb on the left and Mitchell on the right. other names = format = Comedy sketch show runtime = 30… … Wikipedia
HISTORICAL SURVEY: THE STATE AND ITS ANTECEDENTS (1880–2006) — Introduction It took the new Jewish nation about 70 years to emerge as the State of Israel. The immediate stimulus that initiated the modern return to Zion was the disappointment, in the last quarter of the 19th century, of the expectation that… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
The Weakest Link (UK game show) — Infobox Television show name = The Weakest Link caption = format = Game Show picture format = 16:9 runtime = 45 minutes creator = Fintan Coyle Cathy Dunning starring = Anne Robinson channel = BBC Two (14 August, 2000 8 February, 2008) BBC One… … Wikipedia
The Bill (series 14) — The Bill Series 14 Country of origin United Kingdom No. of episodes 121 Broadcast Original channel ITV … Wikipedia
The Irish (in Countries Other Than Ireland) — The Irish (in countries other than Ireland) † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Irish (in countries other than Ireland) I. IN THE UNITED STATES Who were the first Irish to land on the American continent and the time of their arrival are … Catholic encyclopedia
The Sweeney — Infobox television show name = The Sweeney caption = The Sweeney opening titles. format = Police / Crime runtime = 60 minutes creator = Ian Kennedy Martin starring = John Thaw Dennis Waterman Garfield Morgan theme music composer = Harry South… … Wikipedia
MITCHELL, Sir Thomas Livingstone (1792-1855) — explorer son of John Mitchell of Craigend, Stirlingshire, Scotland, and his wife, originally a Miss Milne, was born on 15 June 1792. At 16 he entered the army as a volunteer, and three years later obtained a commission in the 95th regiment. He… … Dictionary of Australian Biography
The Great Gildersleeve — Infobox Radio Show show name = The Great Gildersleeve imagesize = 200px caption = Sam Berman s caricature of The Great Gildersleeve for NBC s 1947 promotional book shows Harold Peary as Gildersleeve and Walter Tetley as Leroy Forester. runtime =… … Wikipedia