- David Hayman
David Hayman Born 9 February 1948
Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland
Occupation Actor and film director
David Hayman (born 9 February 1948) is a Scottish film and television actor and director best known for his role as DCS Mike Walker in ITV drama Trial and Retribution. He also a prominent supporter of the SNP's call for Scottish Independence.
Life and career
Hayman studied at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow. He began his acting career at the Citizens' Theatre in the city, playing a variety of roles, including Hamlet, Figaro and Al Capone. He gained national prominence playing notorious Barlinnie Prison convict turned sculptor, Jimmy Boyle, in the film A Sense of Freedom. After this film he focused on playing character roles rather than the lead. His long list of film credits include appearances supporting Pierce Brosnan in The Tailor of Panama, Bruce Willis in The Jackal and Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal. He also appeared in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
Hayman is also well known for his television appearances, most notably as Chief Supt. Michael Walker in Lynda La Plante's long running Trial & Retribution sequence of crime thriller mini-series which recently finished shooting its 10th series. He has also had success in directing film and TV productions. Silent Scream is a return to a study of convicts in Barlinnie Prison, examining the life of convicted murderer Larry Winters. The film was entered into the 40th Berlin International Film Festival. Later followed The Hawk, starring Helen Mirren as a woman who begins to suspect that her husband is a serial killer. More recently, The Near Room is a dark and disturbing film about child abuse and corruption set in Glasgow.
Hayman was awarded the City of Glasgow's gold medal in 1992, for outstanding services to the performing arts. In 2001 he founded the humanitarian charity Spirit Aid which is dedicated to children of the world whose lives have been devastated by war, genocide, poverty, abuse or lack of opportunity at home and abroad. Hayman is currently Head of Operations of the charity which undertakes humanitarian relief projects from Kosovo to Guinea-Bissau, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Malawi and South Africa.
Hayman is currently working on production of a biopic of Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns.
He has a distinct scar over his left eye, which he chose to use as character makeup, along with a shaved head, for his part in the Trial and Retribution series.
In 2009 he appeared in an episode of the British television series Robin Hood.
He is a supporter of Celtic F.C..
In September 2011, Hayman hosted a documentary reconstructing the unsolved murders of Glasgow serial killer Bible John, who murdered three young woman in the late 1960s. The documentary was named "In Search of Bible John", and looked at the evidence which links Peter Tobin to the killings.
- Top Boy (2011) TV
- Lewis (2009)
- Wasted (2008)
- The Promise (2008)
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)
- A Shot in the West (2006)
- Trial & Retribution X: Sins of the Father (2006) TV
- Where the Truth Lies (2005)
- Rag Tale (2005)
- Trial & Retribution IX (2005) TV
- Fuse (2004)
- Gladiatress (2004)
- Trial & Retribution VIII (2004) TV
- Gifted (2003) TV
- Drabbade, De (2003) TV
- Trial & Retribution VII (2003) TV
- The Wild Dogs (2002)
- The Last Great Wilderness (2002)
- Still Game (2002)
- Trial & Retribution VI (2002) TV
- As the Beast Sleeps (2002) TV
- Trial & Retribution V (2002) TV
- The Tailor of Panama (2001)
- Murder Rooms: The Photographer's Chair (2001) TV
- Vertical Limit (2000)
- Best (2000)
- Last Orders (2000)
- Ordinary Decent Criminal (2000)
- Trial & Retribution IV (2000) TV
- Tough Love (2000) TV
- The Beautiful Game (1999)
- Trial & Retribution III (1999) TV
- Legionnaire (1998)
- My Name Is Joe (1998)
- Trial & Retribution II (1998) TV
- Getting Hurt (1998) TV
- The Boxer (1997)
- The Jackal (1997)
- Regeneration (1997)
- Twin Town (1997)
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997)
- Friendly Voices (1997)
- Trial & Retribution (1997) TV
- The Near Room (1995)
- Rob Roy (1995)
- The Short Walk (1995)
- Finney (1994) TV
- Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive (1992) TV
- Underbelly (1992) TV
- Venus Peter (1989)
- Walker (1987)
- Hope and Glory (1987)
- Sid and Nancy (1986)
- Murphy's Law (1986)
- Heavenly Pursuits (1985)
- Fell Tiger (1985) TV
- Reilly: The Ace of Spies (1983) TV
- It'll All Be Over in Half an Hour (1983) TV
- Love Story: Mr. Right (1983) TV
- Coming Out of the Ice (1982) TV
- Fame Is the Spur (1982) TV
- Ill Fares The Land (1982)
- Eye of the Needle (1981)
- A Sense of Freedom (1979)
- Scotch & Wry (1978) TV
- The Eagle of the Ninth (1977) TV
- Just Your Luck (1972) TV
- Harbour Lights (1999) TV
- The Near Room (1995)
- Finney (1994) TV
- Cardiac Arrest (1994) TV
- The Hawk (1993)
- A Woman's Guide to Adultery (1993) TV
- Black and Blue (1992) TV
- Firm Friends (1992) TV
- Silent Scream (1990)
- ^ David Hayman backs Sandra White for Kelvin, Glasgow SNP, 16 April 2007, http://www.glasgowsnp.org/Scottish_Parliament_Election_2007/Kelvin/David_Hayman_backs_Sandra_White_for_Kelvin/
- ^ "Berlinale: 1990 Programme". berlinale.de. http://www.berlinale.de/en/archiv/jahresarchive/1990/02_programm_1990/02_Programm_1990.html. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- ^ Spencer, Charles (10 August 2011). "Anna Christie, Donmar Warehouse". The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/8691856/Anna-Christie-Donmar-Warehouse-review.html. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.