- The Sword and The Flame
"The Sword and The Flame" is a
wargamebased on British colonial wars (in particular, the Anglo-Zulu War) and, more generally, a set of rules applied to a variety of wargames.
These rules for playing colonial wargames were first drafted by Larry Brom in 1978. The rules have gone through several revisions, but still have the same basic characteristics that they had when first written.
When Larry drafted the original set of "The Sword and The Flame" rules (usually referred to as "TSATF") he had 5 main objectives [ [http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/927tsatf.birth.html 'The Sword and the Flame'- Birth of the Rules ] ] . These were:
* Enjoyment: in that the game itself was oriented more to being fun than as an accurate historical simulation
* Playability: a reference to the fact that some rulesets are noted for the complexity of their phrasing and the minutiae of their amendments; Larry favoured simple rules
* Drama: Larry wanted to ensure that every game had a chance of being won by either side, and that a player could not exactly predict an opposing player's movement distance.
* Excitement: linked to the idea of drama, but Larry also wanted to ensure that both sides were involved in all stages of the action. Larry's system of resolving combat by matching off opposing models rather than calculating a mêlée en mass was intended to achieve this [ [http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/927tsatf.birth.html 'The Sword and the Flame'- Birth of the Rules ] ] .
* Historical Flavour: the game should appear to be what happened in the time being simulated although it would not seek to be an exact recreation—in "TSATF" both sides have an equal chance of winning, whereas in history the
colonial powerwas usually dominant over the indigenous population.
The rules included some interesting innovations, particularly the use of playing cards to randomise movement and firing (Larry refers to this as the 'random move card innovation'). At a time when movement and firing was either alternate ('you move, I move') or simultaneous, this represented a major change in thinking amongst wargamers [ [http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/927tsatf.birth.html 'The Sword and the Flame'- Birth of the Rules ] ] .
The rules have proven so popular that they have generated a whole set of variants which adapt the rules from their original
British colonial(and especially Anglo-Zulu War) focus to other historical periods; the names of the variants usually incorporate the words "the Sword", although the variant that simulates the establishment of the White Rajahsin Sarawak is called "The KrisAnd The Flame". A fantasy wargamevariant "Awaken The Storm!" was released in 2007 [ [http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/927tsatf.birth.html 'The Sword and the Flame'- Birth of the Rules ] ] .
The title is derived from
The Widow at Windsor, a poem by Rudyard Kipling, part of his " Barrack-Room Ballads". This poem talks about Queen Victoria and how the empire she rules is so powerful because of the sacrifice that her soldiers make; the relevant part reads:
Walk wide o' the Widow at Windsor,
For 'alf o' Creation she owns:
We 'ave bought 'er the same with the sword an' the flame,
An' we've salted it down with our bones.
* [http://www.sergeants3.com/ Sergeants 3]
* [http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/924tsatf.home.html "The Sword and The Flame"] home page
* [http://ghostwolf.dyndns.org/words/authors/K/KiplingRudyard/verse/volumeXI/widowwindsor.html The Widow at Windsor]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Flame Knife — … Wikipedia
Sword and Sorceress series — The Sword and Sorceress series is a series of fantasy anthologies edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley. As she explained in the foreword to the first volume, she created the anthology to redress the lack of strong female protagonists in the sub genre… … Wikipedia
The Flame and the Arrow — Infobox Film name = The Flame and the Arrow caption = Promotional poster director = Jacques Tourneur producer = Harold Hecht Frank Ross writer = Waldo Salt starring = Burt Lancaster Virginia Mayo Nick Cravat music = Max Steiner cinematography =… … Wikipedia
List of The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber characters — The following is a list of characters from Jin Yong s wuxia novel The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber. Contents 1 Ming Cult (明教) 1.1 Heavenly Eagle Cult (天鷹教) 1.2 Persian Ming Cult … Wikipedia
Guardians of the Flame — is a long running series by author Joel Rosenberg and is arguably his best known work. The series is about a group of college students sent into a supposed fantasy role playing game by their DM. After the events of the first book, The Sleeping… … Wikipedia
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages — The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages The cover for Oracle of Seasons Developer(s) Capcom … Wikipedia
The Gingamen — are a group of fictional characters who are the protagonists of the Super Sentai series, Seijuu Sentai Gingaman . They are ancestors of the original Gingaman from the Ginga Forest who use a fighting style originating three thousand years ago and… … Wikipedia
The Sword of Skelos — The Sword of Skelos by Andrew J. Offutt … Wikipedia
The Conquering Sword of Conan — The C … Wikipedia
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian — … Wikipedia