- Yellow deli
The Yellow Deli was a youth
outreachministry of the Vine Christian Community, also called The Light Brigade, now known as the Twelve Tribes communities.
The Yellow Deli was founded by Elbert Eugene and Marsha Spriggs. It first opened at 3822 Brainerd Road in
Chattanooga, Tennesseein 1973and stayed open 24 hours a day. Another at 1012 Market Street followed, and one on McCallie Avenue that was called "The Areopagus" after the place where the Apostle Pauldebated Athenian philosophers in the Book of Acts, chapter 17. The Areopagus, with a stage, loftseating, offices and a recording studio, was the crown jewel of the Yellow Delis. Other Yellow Deli locations were also later established in Dalton and Trenton, Georgia, Mentone, Alabama, and Dayton, Tennessee.
A sign on the counter of the Brainerd Road Deli read: "Need a warm place to stay?
Hitchhiking? Stay a day. We're just ordinary people who have found what it means to be free and to be real." Hitchhikers and runaways were welcomed to stay at the Vine House or other community houses in Chattanooga. Gene Spriggs was quoted as saying, "There's an underground among runaways. Whether they're in Californiaor Florida, they compare towns and pass on tips. Word has gotten around that if you come through Chattanooga, go to the Yellow Deli and get food and lodging for a couple of days." One example of this can be found in the book, "The Shocking Kidnappings of Kirsten Nielsen", [http://www.twelvetribescult.org/CultScare_Online.html#Meeting_the_Community] the autobiography of a young woman on the road who ended up staying with the Yellow Deli people. She is still with them 30 years later, now married and the mother of five children.
The interior of the Yellow Delis was quite distinct -- recycled barnwood with
rusticwood decor and shanty-capped booths. It was described by Helen McDonald Exum as "...dimly lit with lights under shades that used to be bushelbaskets. The paneling is of weathered barn siding. At the windows are gingham curtains, and at the side of the room is an old-fashioned wood-burning stove."
menuof the Yellow Delis included hot meatand cheesedeli-style sandwiches on onion rolls, kaiser rolls, pumpernickelor rye bread, served in a basketwith a dill pickle and side of potato chips. Desserts included fruit salad, carrot cake, and banana bread. Soft drinksand papaya juicewere also available. Deli order tickets bore the phrase, "We Serve the Fruit of the Spirit. Why Not Ask?"
Helen McDonald Exum, "Helen Exum's Memorable Meals" (Chattanooga, TN: Chattanooga News-Free Press, 1974).
* [http://www.yellowdeli.com/ YellowDeli.com The official nostalgia/retrospective site of the Yellow Deli]
* [http://www.cultscare.com/CultScare_Online.html#Meeting_the_Community/ www.CultScare.com] This is the website of the book, "The Shocking Kidnappings of Kirsten Nielsen", the autobiography of a young woman on the road who ended up staying with the Yellow Deli people. She is still with them 30 years later, now married and the mother of five children.
* [http://www.nooga.com/chattanoogapast.html What Or Who Do You Miss Most From Chattanooga's Past] (Includes the Yellow Deli)
* [http://covblogs.com/oldschool/archives/2005_09.html The Yellow Deli] A nostalgic blog entry remembering the Yellow Deli
* [http://www.mentonealabama.org/Strayhorn/StrayhornCentennial.htm Mentone Alabama: A History] Mentions the Mentone, Alabama Yellow Deli
* [http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/tribes.html Twelve Tribes] A look at the Twelve Tribes Communities, history section includes the Yellow Deli
* [http://blackrider23.com/familyalbum/snapshots_1977/imagepages/image5.htm] A vacationer's photo of a Yellow Deli interior, 1977
* [http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_86834.asp Former member's critical account of Yellow Deli and Twelve Tribes practices]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
DeLi Linux — 0.7.1 Разработчик … Википедия
Yellow Dog — Linux Разработчик Fixstars Solutions (ранее Terra Soft Solutions) Семейство ОС GNU/Linux Исходный код FOSS Последняя версия 6.1 19 ноября 2008 Тип ядра … Википедия
Twelve Tribes communities — For other uses of The Twelve Tribes , see The Twelve Tribes (disambiguation). Twelve Tribes Classification Messianic Judaism Christian Fundamentalism … Wikipedia
The Twelve Tribes (New religious movement) — The Twelve Tribes is a confederation of self governing religious communities founded by Elbert Eugene Spriggs (now known as Yoneq) that sprung out of the Jesus Movement in the early 1970s in Chattanooga, Tennessee. ref|Palmer1998 The group has… … Wikipedia
Mustard (condiment) — Mustard seeds (top left) may be ground (top right) to make different kinds of mustard. The other four mustards pictured are a simple table mustard with turmeric coloring (center left), a Bavarian sweet mustard (center right), a Dijon mustard… … Wikipedia
Timeline of New York City crimes and disasters — The following is a timeline of New York City crimes and disasters.17th century* 1668 First yellow fever epidemic in the city.18th century* 1702 Yellow fever epidemic kills more than 500 people. * September 21, 1776 Approximately 1000 houses, a… … Wikipedia
Comparison of Linux distributions — Technical variations of Linux distributions include support for different hardware devices and systems or software package configurations. Organizational differences may be motivated by historical reasons. Other criteria include security,… … Wikipedia
Bens De Luxe Delicatessen & Restaurant — Bens De Luxe Delicatessen and Restaurant was a renowned delicatessen in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The restaurant was best known for its famous smoked meat sandwich, and, as well, for its claim of being the very originator of the dish. During its… … Wikipedia
Montreal-style smoked meat — from Schwartz s in Montreal Origin Place of origin Canada … Wikipedia
International availability of McDonald's products — McDonald s Corporation is the world s largest chain of hamburger fast food restaurants, serving more than 58 million customers daily in 119 countries. In addition to its signature restaurant chain, McDonald’s Corporation held a minority… … Wikipedia