- Nurse with Wound
Nurse with Wound
Steven Stapleton live with Nurse with Wound at Avantgarde Festival 2008, Schiphorst, 4 July 2008
Background information Origin London, United Kingdom Genres Experimental, industrial, avant-garde, dark ambient, noise, drone Years active 1979–present Labels United Dairies
Beta-lactam Ring Records
Members Steven Stapleton Past members Heeman Pathak
Nurse with Wound (or shortened as NWW) is the main recording name for British musician Steven Stapleton. Nurse with Wound was originally a band, formed in 1978 by Stapleton, John Fothergill and Heman Pathak. The band has performed in many genres such as avant-garde, industrial, noise, dark ambient, and drone.
By 1981, only Stapleton was left from the original trio and he now regards 1982's Homotopy to Marie, as being the first proper Nurse with Wound release. There are now over 40 full length NWW titles. Stapleton's fondness for dada, surrealism and absurdist humor are demonstrated in much of NWW's output, which, though it draws directly on a wide assortment of genres (including cabaret music, nursery rhymes, John Cage, The Beach Boys, krautrock, ambient music, and easy listening) retains a distinctive and recognizable aura. Musique concrète may be the most prominent touchstone, due to Stapleton's frequent, and often humorous, use of creative tape loops and editing. This aesthetic is fully represented in the artwork on the album covers, virtually all of which is created by Stapleton, mostly under the pseudonym "Babs Santini".
Although Stapleton has sole curatorship of NWW, the group has a long and illustrious list of collaborators including Diana Rogerson (Stapleton's wife), James Thirlwell of Foetus, Tony Wakeford, David Jackman of Organum, Andrew McKenzie of The Hafler Trio, Stereolab, Jim O'Rourke, Christoph Heemann, William Bennett of Whitehouse, Robert Haigh, Rose McDowall of Strawberry Switchblade, Annie Anxiety, John Balance of Coil, Matt Waldron of Irr. App (Ext) and most regularly David Tibet of Current 93. For some time, NWW was a core duo of Stapleton and Colin Potter, the latter having first worked with NWW on 1992's "Thunder Perfect Mind" when it was recorded at Potter's ICR studio. Potter has appeared on almost every NWW release since. In 2009, a CD titled "Ød Lot" was released (credited to Nurse With Wound) which contained solo recordings by Stapleton, Potter, Waldron and Andrew Liles.
John Fothergill helped found the band when it started. After parting company he went on to spend many years at the BBC childrens unit accounting for programs such as Raven / In the Night Garden. He retired in June 2010.
Current work (2005–present)
In 2005, Nurse with Wound returned to live performance after a 21-year absence. Stapleton, Potter, Waldron, Rogerson and Andrew Liles played three concerts at the Narrenturm in Vienna, where they performed improvisations on the album Salt Marie Celeste. These concerts were not billed as NWW appearances. The first official NWW appearances since 1984 were at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco in June 2006. In December of the same year, the group played at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival organized by Thurston Moore. Stapleton continues to indicate that his long-promised hip-hop album featuring 5 or 6 female rap artists is forthcoming. During 2007, Stapleton gigged and DJ'ed with much greater regularity, including a set at experimental music night Stress!! in Galway City, Ireland and full live NWW sets is in Austria, Belgium, France, Barcelona, London, Moscow, Berlin and Venice.
A collaborative work with krautrock legend Faust was released on CD in 2007 as Disconnected with a vinyl edition carrying additional mixes following in 2008. A NWW album entitled Huffin' Rag Blues, primarily a collaboration with British sound artist Andrew Liles, was issued in 2008 with a companion mini-LP entitled The Bacteria Magnet. A remix of Sunn O)))'s ØØ Void entitled The Iron Soul of Nothing was given a limited release with an expanded reissue of the out-of-print studio album The Man with the Woman Face following. An album of new material entitled The Surveillance Lounge was then released as a CD with a limited triple CD called The Memory Surface. A CD of new material entitled Space Music will be released on 17 November 2009.
- (selected; a full discography can be obtained from the official website—see links below)
All records released on United Dairies, except where indicated.
- Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella (1979), (expanded, anniversary edition issued on World Serpent/United Dairies, 2001)
- To the Quiet Men from a Tiny Girl (1980)
- Merzbild Schwet (1980)
- Insect and Individual Silenced (1981)
- The 150 Murderous Passions with Whitehouse (1981)
- Homotopy to Marie (1982)
- Brained by Falling Masonry (1984)
- Spiral Insana (1986), Torso (rereleased on United Dairies, 1997)
- Alas the Madonna Does Not Function (1988), 12″ EP on United Dairies
- Soliloquy for Lilith (1988), 3×LP set on Idle Hole (rereleased on 2×CD by United Dairies, 1993, on 3×CD in 2003 and finally, again on 3×CD by United Jnana, 2005)
- The Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion (1988), Laylah (reissued by United Dairies, 1995)
- Soliloquy for Lilith [Parts 5 and 6] (1989)
- A Sucked Orange (1990)
- Thunder Perfect Mind (1992) - with Rose McDowall, David Tibet and John Balance - issued on Untied Diaries (sic)
- Crumb Duck with Stereolab (1993), Clawfist, edition of 1450 (expanded reissue on United Dairies, 1997)
- Rock 'n Roll Station (1994)
- Who Can I Turn to Stereo (1996)
- Acts of Senseless Beauty with Aranos (1997)
- Simple Headphone Mind with Stereolab (1997), Duophonic
- An Awkward Pause (1999)
- The Swinging Reflective: Favourite Moments of Mutual Ecstasy (1999), collaborations 1980–1999, on United Dairies
- Alice the Goon (second edition) (2000), release with a bonus track of a 1996 vinyl-only issue of 500 copies
- Funeral Music for Perez Prado (2001), compilation featuring extended versions of previously-released tracks
- Man with the Woman Face (2002)
- Salt Marie Celeste (2003)
- She and Me Fall Together in Free Death (2003), Beta-lactam Ring Records
- The Musty Odour of Pierced Rectums (2003), very limited edition on Beta-lactam Ring Records
- Chance Meeting of a Defective Tape Machine and a Migraine (2003), remixes
- Angry Eelectric Finger (2004), 5 releases—one disc each in collaboration with Jim O'Rourke, Cyclobe, and IrrAppExt, a vinyl-only release of the source material, and a disc of outtakes on United Dairies; all other editions on Beta-lactam Ring Records)
- Shipwreck Radio Volume One (2004), ICR (special edition with extra disc Lofoten Deadhead)
- Echo Poeme Sequence No. 2 (2005), United Jnana
- Shipwreck Radio Volume Two (2005), ICR (special edition with extra disc Gulls Just Wanna Have Fun)
- Soundpooling (2006), ICR (special edition with extra disc A Hand Job for the Laughing Policeman)
- Stereo Wastelands (2006), Beta-lactam Ring Records (edition of 500 CDs compiling previously unreleased mixes from Who Can I Turn to Stereo?)
- Rat Tapes One: An Accumulation of Discarded Musical Vermin 1983–2006 (2006)
- Shipwreck Radio: The Final Broadcasts (2006), ICR
- Disconnected with Faust (2007)
- The Iron Soul of Nothing (2008) (second disc of the reissue of Sunn O)))'s album ØØ Void, this additional CD being a Nurse with Wound remix labeled "Sunn O))) meets Nurse with Wound")
- Huffin' Rag Blues (2008), United Dairies/Jnana
- The Surveillance Lounge (2009), United Dirter
- Space Music (2009), Beta-lactam Ring Records
- Paranoia in HiFi (2009), Dirtier Promotions (compilation featuring excerpts of previously-released tracks)
- Erroneous: A Selection of Errors (2010), colaberative work with German avantgardist Fritz Mueller and Italian industrial band Larsen.
Selected compilation appearances
- "Nana or a Thing of Uncertain Nonsense" on The Elephant Table Album (1983)
- "Think Jazz, Think Punk Attitude" and "Spooky Loop" on Foxtrot (1998)
- Brain in the Wire
- "Die, Flip or Go to India" on X-Rated: The Dark Files (2005)
A full list can be found on the NWW website, hosted by Brainwashed.com.
- ^ "Nurse with Wound". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Nurse+with+Wound. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Nurse with Wound". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/nurse-with-wound-p19634/biography. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ Dean, Jonathan (June 29, 2003). "Brainwashed − Nurse With Wound, "She and Me Fall Together in Free Death"". Brainwashed.com. http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2489&Itemid=64. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- ^ Dean, Jonathan (October 19, 2003). "Brainwashed − Nurse With Wound, "Soliloquy for Lilith"". Brainwashed.com. http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2828&Itemid=64. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- ^ Dean, Jonathan (June 29, 2008). "Brainwashed − Nurse With Wound, "Huffin' Rag Blues"". Brainwashed.com. http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6966&Itemid=64. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- ^ "Babs Santini is Steven Stapleton". Babs Santini. http://www.babssantini.com/about/. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- Official Website
- Beta-lactam Ring Records catalog NWW page
- Nurse With Wound discography at MusicBrainz
AlbumsChance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella • To the Quiet Men from a Tiny Girl • Merzbild Schwet • Insect and Individual Silenced • Homotopy to Marie • The Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion • Spiral Insana • Alas the Madonna Does Not Function • Soliloquy for Lilith • A Sucked Orange • Thunder Perfect Mind • Crumb Duck • Simple Headphone Mind • Shipwreck Radio Volume One • Shipwreck Radio Volume Two • Shipwreck Radio: Final Broadcasts Collaborators Related articles See also: Nurse with Wound list
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nurse With Wound — ist eine 1978 vom britischen Musiker Steven Stapleton gegründete Avantgarde Band. Steven Stapleton, der zuvor als Roadie bei verschiedenen Krautrock Bands, unter anderem Guru Guru und Kraan, arbeitete, gründete Nurse With Wound, als er ein… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nurse with Wound — ist eine 1978 vom britischen Musiker Steven Stapleton gegründete Avantgarde Band. Steven Stapleton, der zuvor als Roadie bei verschiedenen Krautrock Bands, unter anderem Guru Guru und Kraan, arbeitete, gründete Nurse with Wound, als er ein… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nurse with Wound — Steve Stapleton en concert avec Nurse With Wound Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Nurse with wound — Steve Stapleton en concert avec Nurse With Wound Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Nurse With Wound — Steve Stapleton en concert avec Nurse With Wound Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Nurse With Wound — Жанр Индастриал Краут рок Авангард Экспериментальный рок Годы 1977 по сей день … Википедия
Nurse With Wound List — La Nurse with Wound list est une liste de musiciens et de groupes qui était incluse avec le premier album du groupe de musique expérimentale britannique Nurse With Wound, Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella… … Wikipédia en Français
Nurse with Wound list — The Nurse With Wound list The Nurse with Wound list is a list of 291 musicians and bands that accompanied Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella (1979), the first album by Nurse With Wound. The list was… … Wikipedia
Nurse with Wound list — La Nurse with Wound list est une liste de musiciens et de groupes qui était incluse avec le premier album du groupe de musique expérimentale britannique Nurse With Wound, Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella… … Wikipédia en Français
Thunder Perfect Mind (Nurse with Wound album) — Infobox Album | Name = Thunder Perfect Mind Type = Album Artist = Nurse With Wound Released = 1992 Recorded = ??? Genre = Industrial, Experimental Length = 56:22 Label = United Dairies Producer = Steven Stapleon Reviews = Last album = Creakiness… … Wikipedia